The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
I have been dyeing ebony fingerboards and bridges since the early-1980's. The risk of getting the dye on places you don't want is pretty low, but I tend to use a Q-tip, rather than a paper towel. In my primary business of repairing old guitars, I have discovered mottled ebony on Martins as early as the 1920's. It is more common on the lesser models (style-18 and -21), less so on higher models (style-28 and higher). In many cases, there is evidence that Martin dyed the ebony, even in the 1920's and 1930's.
I have left striped or mottled fingerboards undyed on the guitars I build, and the decision is primarily an aesthetic one.
I think you are right on. The reason for leaving it undyed is aesthetic - it has to look good. And in my opinion, that is the the artistic eye of the luthier and what the builder can be provided from nature.

What I do not like is leaving it undyed and having it look ugly.
Old 01-07-2018, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
Here is a guitar I made of African ebony back, sides and fingerboard. To dye that jet-black would be to ruin it, in my opinion.

Ebony on the back and sides of a guitar - THAT I DO want to see the grains and striping. Absolutely.
Old 01-07-2018, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodB View Post
Yes - the times they are a changing...

I like some of the variegated fretboards like Guitarsan's Taylor (post #80), but when it comes to having a viable alternative to an all black ebony board, Rocklite 'Ebano' is already marketed. They now have a substitute for rosewood as well.

I have a Taran guitar made by Rory Dowling with a Rocklite 'Ebano' fretboard - it looks and feels like ebony, and according to Rory (see video on the linked page) it behaves like ebony as well, during the build:
https://www.rocklite.co.uk/phdi/p1.n...ocument&part=7
Anyone who would like a second opinion on Rocklite Ebano should watch this video. It's a first-hand review of a small shop luthier's first impression of the material. It's a good overview and has a few close up shots of the actual material in a side by side comparison with ebony.

https://youtu.be/5OcvrX8yzW4
Old 01-07-2018, 11:24 AM

Saw a Nationwide Insurance commercial last evening with a female guitarist featured. She was playing a Taylor with a significant light streak on the fret board. Some of you may know who she is.
Old 01-07-2018, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twelvefret View Post
Saw a Nationwide Insurance commercial last evening with a female guitarist featured. She was playing a Taylor with a significant light streak on the fret board. Some of you may know who she is.
Actually that is inlay. But I thought as you did the first 23 times that they showed it yesterday... <G>
Old 01-07-2018, 12:42 PM

i just looked in stew mac and there is only a few
dollars difference between ebony and richlite.
Bob taylor has the right idea. its really not
luthier's that are causing issues with these
woods as it is furniture makers in china.
Bob taylor is making these issues known
to the public. So kudos to bob Taylor.
And i will display my striped ebony fretboard with pride.

Last edited by Kerbie; 01-07-2018 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Removed content
Old 01-07-2018, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twelvefret View Post
Tori Kelly; playing a gorgeous Taylor with vine & flowers marquetry up the center of the fret board.
Old 01-07-2018, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
Actually that is inlay. But I thought as you did the first 23 times that they showed it yesterday... <G>
The singer's name is Tori Kelly. The bit that appears to be a streak is indeed an inlay but if that fretboard is ebony, it doesn't appear to be all that black.

The video can be seen here.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 01-07-2018, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
i just looked in stew mac and there is only a few
dollars difference between ebony and richlite.
Bob taylor has the right idea. its really not
luthier's that are causing issues with these
woods as it is furniture makers in china.
Bob taylor is making these issues known
to the public. So kudos to bob Taylor.
And i will display my striped ebony fretboard with pride.
Americans are at the FOREFRONT of environmental issues. We are the largest population of people in top scoring countries for environmental issues. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enviro...formance_Index)

However, let's keep this thread on ebony and wood only.

I've always said kudos to Bob Taylor - especially efforts to grow more ebony and not let any of it go to waste.

I think a lot of woods go onto the endangered list and they are banned only - there is no active effort to grow more, which is the most responsible action (not banning - thus creating an instant price increase to what if left).

I think we have established that using striped ebony is nothing new and that manufacturers have been dying it for the last 100 years or more. Keeping it striped and having it look awful or distracting is not a good thing I'm my opinion.

Last edited by Kerbie; 01-07-2018 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Edited quote
Old 01-07-2018, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMO View Post
Americans are at the FOREFRONT of environmental issues. We are the largest population of people in top scoring countries for environmental issues. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enviro...formance_Index)

However, let's keep this thread on ebony and wood only.

I've always said kudos to Bob Taylor - especially efforts to grow more ebony and not let any of it go to waste.

I think a lot of woods go onto the endangered list and they are banned only - there is no active effort to grow more, which is the most responsible action (not banning - thus creating an instant price increase to what if left).

I think we have established that using striped ebony is nothing new and that manufacturers have been dying it for the last 100 years or more. Keeping it striped and having it look awful or distracting is not a good thing I'm my opinion.
Huh?

You brought up Richlite twice in your original post. If this topic is just about what you personally want to relate why didn't you just say "No further comment necessary." at the end of your original post?

Sorry for any of my attempts to possibly broaden the discussion.
Old 01-07-2018, 08:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
According to the link you provided, the US is not "at the FOREFRONT of environmental issues." We were 26th in 2016, and didn't even make the list in most of the other years provided. In 2010 we were in 61st, and in 2006 we were 28th.

YouTube
Old 01-07-2018, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
According to the link you provided, the US is not "at the FOREFRONT of environmental issues." We were 26th in 2016, and didn't even make the list in most of the other years provided. In 2010 we were in 61st, and in 2006 we were 28th.
Yes, but as a country we are the largest, most powerful and influential country doing it.

Respectfully, I think that puts Americans at the forefront in making the biggest difference.

And, we may not WANT to be the first as laws for use of woods may become overly restrictive for those at the top of the list. Just my 2 cents.

And then getting back to Ebony here, what nationality is taking the bull by the horn and helping create more Ebony - Bob Taylor - an American
Old 01-07-2018, 10:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes, but as a country we are the largest, most powerful and influential country doing it.
The size of a country's population has absolutely nothing to do with whether they're "at the FOREFRONT of environmental issues."

Quote:
Respectfully, I think that puts Americans at the forefront in making the biggest difference.
I agree that countries with large populations will have a greater impact on the environment but I'm not going to hand out any awards to the US for that. We lag far behind other more responsible nations in being good stewards of our ecology.

Quote:
And, we may not WANT to be the first as laws for use of woods may become overly restrictive for those at the top of the list. Just my 2 cents.
A minute ago you were lauding the US for being environmental leaders and now you're saying you don't want laws that might actually make your over generous assessment a reality.

YouTube
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion