The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-26-2017, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakkolu View Post
Thanks for all the responses. Based on the videos I watched, I am leaning towards a D35 instead of the D28 because to me it sounded darker and more bassy. Would you agree? I would have preferred the D18, but I think the delta between my Hummingbird and the D18 will be subtle compared to the D35. I do want a Martin Dread, so not interested in other models. Let me know what you think, I appreciate your support.
My experience has been just that comparing the D35 to the D28. I've also found that the D28 tends to have a little more individual note clarity while the D35 has a bit more string blend.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 05-26-2017, 09:47 AM

I own a D-28. And I love it. It is 15 years old and has opened up nicely. And I personally prefer straight bracing on a dreadnought. That being said, I have in my possession (for a short time) my cousin's 1974 D-35. Playing the D28 and the D35 side by side...I will choose the D 35. It could be the fact that it is 43 yrs old, but it is by far one of the best sounding dreads I have heard, or played.
And, IMO, the new ones are just about as good.

Martin: D-28, 00-18V, Custom 000-21, D12-35
Guild: GF-60M
Martin C1K ukulele, Kala soprano ukulele
Kentucky mandolin
Old 05-26-2017, 09:52 AM
Charter Member

Yes, the D-35 is darker sounding and also more midrange scooped than a D-28. It also has a more enveloping and less projective tone, due in part to the lighter 1/4" bracing (vs the 5/16" bracing on Martin's other dreads). It's great for singer-songwriter duty, less effective for bluegrass (doesn't cut as well).

Good luck!

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4250 shipped
Old 05-26-2017, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
Yes, the D-35 is darker sounding and also more midrange scooped than a D-28. It also has a more enveloping and less projective tone, due in part to the lighter 1/4" bracing (vs the 5/16" bracing on Martin's other dreads). It's great for singer-songwriter duty, less effective for bluegrass (doesn't cut as well).

Good luck!
I'd like to expand a bit on the above statement. The D-35 definitely has more bass definition. I find the D-35 extremely well balanced and disagree with the "scooped" mids statement and would rather state it as the D-28 having more mid range definition.

One other thing worth pointing out about the D-35 (which I suspect on the D-28, but can't verify) is that the D-35 is very sensitive to string brand/type/gauge (at least mine is). Finding the right strings for my D-35 took it from the "outstanding" category and placed it in the "amazing" category. I suspect finding strings that balance out the D-28 would do the same. F
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 05-26-2017, 11:22 AM

A D18 would be the better choice. You already have a Gibson. I will say that I love Gibson electrics but don't care their acoustics.
Old 05-26-2017, 11:28 AM
Charter Member

I highly recommend a D-28 Marquis or an HD-28V. If you can find a lefty version, I personally think they sound quite a bit better than the standard D-28. Used they are often not much more than a new D-28.
Old 05-26-2017, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmey View Post
A D18 would be the better choice. You already have a Gibson. I will say that I love Gibson electrics but don't care their acoustics.
I have the same opinion that a D18 is preferable to a D28 or a D35. But assume you had a Hummingbird which is also a Mahog Dread, would you still prefer the D18 over them?
Old 05-26-2017, 10:25 PM
Charter Member

Hi Hakkolu,

A rosewood guitar will sound different than your bird. But there's no rule that says you have to have one. The D 18 will have plenty ways that it will differ from the bird. Martins have their sound.

I seem to prefer mahogany, but maybe that's just what my ear is used to. I switch between a J 50 and a 00018. And if I were looking for a Martin dread, I'd probably pick a D 18.

Optima dies, prima fugit
For Sale: Larrivee P 01Khttps://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...49#post7433849
Old 05-27-2017, 09:19 AM

You can probably find an older D35 for the same or cheaper than a new one, they are very similar to the D28 normally referred to as the red headed step child of Martin guitars but are very nice finger picking guitars. If mahogany is your "go to" choice then a D18 will probably suit you better .
Old 05-27-2017, 09:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks for all the responses. Based on the videos I watched, I am leaning towards a D35 instead of the D28 because to me it sounded darker and more bassy. Would you agree? I would have preferred the D18, but I think the delta between my Hummingbird and the D18 will be subtle compared to the D35. I do want a Martin Dread, so not interested in other models. Let me know what you think, I appreciate your support.
I haven't played a D-35 in years, but I fell in love with one years ago before my wife gave me a D-16GT for our anniversary. I liked it alot, but the Martin I will always long for (until I play something better ) is the HD-28. It sounds lush and full, nothing like a Hummingbird (which is also nice). I think just going to the Martin brand from Gibson you will avoid any duplication in tone as Martin delivers a guitar with a different voice than Gibson.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 05-27-2017, 09:43 AM

Something for you to consider !

Asking someone else to give you their impression on how a guitar sounds is like comparing apples to oranges .You should make the trip to a decent Martin dealer who has the models you wish to compare -so your own ears can evaluate it for themselves -The models your looking at are a sizable investment and well worth your time to find and evaluate for yourself. Ive made several trips to stores who had simalar models that i had an interest in . one was like 6 hours from me ( Elderly in Lansing michigan ) that trip alone is one of my fondest memories - Ive made other trips as well -one was to check out a Goodall standard ---at a dealer who wasnt far off my beaten path when i took my family on Vacation !
dont interpret my thoughts or someone elses -go see these models for yourself -
maybe one suggestion - if the strings on any guitar seem dead - have the seller change them -if their unwilling to do that -you pay for them and have them change them -especially on the D-35 youve seemed to talk yourself into .
Old 05-27-2017, 10:29 AM

I think you have to select the guitar that matches up best with your voice. I noticed that a lot of singers favor guitars that don't necessarily "cut through". Two of my favorites – Jeff Tweedy and Jeffrey Foucault - favor Gibsons and another favorite, Peter Mulvey, plays a Martin 000-15 all mahogany. For what it's worth, I have a J 45 which I chose over a D 18.

I think martins are great in a band or a Bluegrass setting or support a singer who has more "highs"in his voice (Jason Isbell favors Martins). Perhaps having someone listen to you sing while playing these two instruments might help with the choice. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-27-2017, 05:46 PM

Good points. Unfortunately I am unable to try any Martin due to the left handedness. I will post my decision with a pic soon.
Old 05-27-2017, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Good points. Unfortunately I am unable to try any Martin due to the left handedness. I will post my decision with a pic soon.
Just a suggestion I would talk to a forum sponsor like Ted at LA guitar's or Maury's Music and get their input and I am sure one them would be willing to give you a great price on your purchase.
Old 05-27-2017, 06:51 PM

You already have the finest Martin production model ever made, so anything else may prove a slight disappointment. You asked for opinions..
Enjoy that 0-16NY!

Quote:
Opinions please. I am a singer/strummer. I have a Hummingbird and an 0-16NY Martin. I want a Martin Dread. Since I am left handed, I only had a chance to try a D18 and a D28 never a D35 since I never saw one in my area. I preferred the sound and feel of D18. D28 sounded too zingy for me. But since I already have a Bird, I am guessing I would regret it later if I got the D18 (having another Hog, as opposed to a Rosewood). So I guess, is it dumb to get a D18 while you have a Hummingbird, should I just order a D35? How does it compare to a D28?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion