The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-06-2017, 02:30 PM

Deal breakers for me are:
Anything over a 000/0M or under 00 in size.
Cutaways
Skinny neck widths
Koa tops
Maple bodies
Old 04-06-2017, 02:42 PM
Charter Member

I guess for me it would simply be, if the seller will not come down to the price I am willing to pay. Some things in life need not be complicated .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 04-06-2017, 02:43 PM

Cutaway
Visible electronic controls
Soundport
Non-traditional soundhole size or placement
Chunky rosette inlay
Awkward headstock shape
Overly figured woods

I'm sure there are others but I rarely even pick up guitars with two or more of the above characteristics, and probably wouldn't buy one with even one of them. There are enough great guitars out there in any price range that one can afford to be picky.

One attribute I'd have put on the list not long ago would have been lots of "bling" in trim and inlays. I'm a sucker for guitars like Martin's 15/17/18 series. That said, I've been warming up to the idea of something like a 42 series guitar someday...
Old 04-06-2017, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ataylor View Post
Cutaway
<snip>

One attribute I'd have put on the list not long ago would have been lots of "bling" in trim and inlays. I'm a sucker for guitars like Martin's 15/17/18 series. That said, I've been warming up to the idea of something like a 42 series guitar someday...
I'm also conflicted on bling. My new OM-28A is bound, but understated. Much to my liking. I happen to have a Taylor 914, which I bought used from a sea of other Taylors. Honest truth? It sounded better: And, had bling. I've never owned another Taylor (well other then my 12 string - GA312). I like the one I own though!

. . . but seriously? Nobody else eschews wings?

f-d
Old 04-06-2017, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

I don't like electronics or soundports. If I see these (especially soundports), I move along.
Old 04-06-2017, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatt-dad View Post
. . . but seriously? Nobody else eschews wings?
What are guitar "wings"?
Old 04-06-2017, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar george View Post
What are guitar "wings"?
There was a few years back when Martin used narrow neck wood. To make the peghead shape, they glued wood to either side of the neck wood. This joint was concealed by the peghead veneer.

As with anything, it became a point of refined contention. As if the legacy of their methods were compromised. It did seem a bunch of hooey, to some extent. Unfortunately, to me, they also did this on slothead guitars. That did strike me as too much. That I would avoid for sure - a slothead with peghead wings.

My 1930 Gibson L-1 has peghead wings. It's nothing new and likely a good option for optimal wood yield. Some Martin fans didn't like it though. And for slotheads, I'd avoid them too!

f-d
Old 04-07-2017, 11:12 AM

Thanks fatt-dad
Old 04-07-2017, 12:55 PM

I've been following this thread with interest. Just wondering if anyone feels its a deal breaker for a strap button installed on a guitar.
I never did this until recently on my D-28A41 as I take it out quite a bit for jamming so its very useful. But I've heard of some that don't like it.
I haven't installed one on my D-18 yeat but am thinking about it.
Personally its not a deal breaker for me if I were to buy a used guitar.
Old 04-07-2017, 01:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatt-dad View Post
Nobody mentioned, "Wings" yet!

f-d
My goodness, how did I forget that one in my earlier post??

Of course, my Gibson has wings (but very well concealed) so I can't be TOTALLY against them. Just on Martins, haha

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 04-07-2017, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnut View Post
I've been following this thread with interest. Just wondering if anyone feels its a deal breaker for a strap button installed on a guitar.
I never did this until recently on my D-28A41 as I take it out quite a bit for jamming so its very useful. But I've heard of some that don't like it.
I haven't installed one on my D-18 yeat but am thinking about it.
Personally its not a deal breaker for me if I were to buy a used guitar.
Many guitar players need a strap button, so, having one or adding one would be a necessity.

However, any modification to a guitar will affect it's originality which could affect the value. For collectors, if a guitar came without a strap button, then, adding a strap button would be considered quite negative. (Drilling into the heel, heel cap or body) If a guitar came from the factory with a strap button, such as with many Taylor guitars, then it probably would not be considered a negative factor.
Old 04-10-2017, 01:51 PM

I'm glad to see there are many here for whom the only criteria is that the guitar sounds good. I wish it were so simple. For me, the form is every bit as important as the function.

These are my deal-breakers:

1) Pointy headstock (I'm looking at you, Seagull. I H-A-T-E your headstocks! I feel an onset of hives coming whenever I look at that abomination upon which you've fixed your tuning keys.) Yes, I feel passionate about this. I don't care if it gives you better string intonation. It looks stupid.

2) Jumbos. I have no interest whatsoever in a J-200 or any of its clones. They (and jumbos from all other brands) are just way too big for me.

3) Orchestra models with pointy upper bouts and too high a waist.

4) Bottoms that are too round. It should be flat enough that you could stand the guitar on end and not have it fall over.

5) Small bodies that are too narrow.

6) Taylors. I have yet to play one that doesn't leave me feeling "meh."

UPDATE: 7) Cutaways. Never, never, never, never, never.

Basically the perfect guitar for me is a smaller-bodied guitar like a Gibson LG (my absolute favourite), and that's what I'm always looking for. An LG, Epiphone Caballero/Cortez, or even some other thing like the Simon & Patrick Woodland Folk Pro (the one with the slotted headstock), the Eastman E5SS, the Farida/Elderly OT-series, things like that.

I also like some dreads, especially round-shoulder types (unless, of course, it's a Taylor or Seagull). But otherwise I'm pretty particular about what I like.
Dr. Pepper Acoustic - Current Luthier Project
Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster
Ovation Viper (electric, not acoustic)
Framus Strato Star Bass
Rogue Lap Steel

Past:
2007 Gibson J-50

Last edited by Cozmo; 04-12-2017 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Added #7
Old 04-10-2017, 02:11 PM
Guest4562

"Meet me in the schoolyard after dark. Bring cash," sends up a red flag or two.
Old 04-10-2017, 02:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Everything View Post
Curious to hear what everyone's criteria is when purchasing a guitar. For me, any kind of installed electronics are a deal-breaker. I just cannot warm up to them, no matter how useful they can be. Now some makers like Taylor install them on every model (save for the Baby, Big Baby).

I was in a shop the other day and noticed that it's getting hard to find an acoustic guitar without some kind of electronics installed. Most of the Gibsons even had some kind of electronics, though tucked away in the soundhole. I don't think I could even warm up to that. I guess I just like an old-fashioned acoustic guitar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elasticman View Post
cutaways. Hate 'em. Love symmetry
I agree. Fortunately (or unfortunately depending on how you look at it) you can order most (if not all) Taylors without electronics or cutaway. I've got a Taylor 714 with Western sunburst finish on order in that configuration...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 04-10-2017, 02:31 PM

Cutaway
Visible electronic controls..
No reason, other than preference.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion