The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-05-2017, 12:50 PM

If it ain't short scale, spruce over mahogany it doesn't get a second look. Some might say that's missing a lot of fine instruments......maybe so, but 45 years of guitars coming and going have shown me the light: short scale mahogany is the ticket for me. Anything else can take a hike.
Old 04-05-2017, 12:53 PM
Charter Member

I know many will disagree but I dont like necks with a scarf joint and heel stack. In some cases a scarf joint may be very well done and concealed with a back cap. Thats fine but I dont want to see a scarf joint. And heel stacks always look ugly to me and scream cost savings.

I dont mind having a K&K installed but no UST and no batteries inside the guitar. I have several guitars with Fishman Matrix and looking to move on from that type system.
Old 04-05-2017, 12:57 PM
Charter Member

A bad vibe from the seller - or buyer - kills the deal. Everything else I'll at least consider.
Old 04-05-2017, 12:58 PM
Charter Member

- Nut widths less than 1.725"
- Shallow necks (like Martin's Low Profile)
- Runout and/or VTS racing stripe
- Custom bling not typically found on comparable production model offering (makes resale harder)

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped

Last edited by brencat; 04-05-2017 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-05-2017, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Everything View Post
Curious to hear what everyone's criteria is when purchasing a guitar. For me, any kind of installed electronics are a deal-breaker. I just cannot warm up to them, no matter how useful they can be. Now some makers like Taylor install them on every model (save for the Baby, Big Baby).

I was in a shop the other day and noticed that it's getting hard to find an acoustic guitar without some kind of electronics installed. Most of the Gibsons even had some kind of electronics, though tucked away in the soundhole. I don't think I could even warm up to that. I guess I just like an old-fashioned acoustic guitar.
Quote:
Curious to hear what everyone's criteria is when purchasing a guitar. For me, any kind of installed electronics are a deal-breaker. I just cannot warm up to them, no matter how useful they can be. Now some makers like Taylor install them on every model (save for the Baby, Big Baby).

I was in a shop the other day and noticed that it's getting hard to find an acoustic guitar without some kind of electronics installed. Most of the Gibsons even had some kind of electronics, though tucked away in the soundhole. I don't think I could even warm up to that. I guess I just like an old-fashioned acoustic guitar.

Tone and pliability. Most acoustics I meet that I can afford, I end up really not liking all that much, but if I've found a good one that's made me go back to the store then it's just the obvious mechanical issues I look out for: high action and the saddle is already really low, red flag! If the neck is twisted, obvious deal breaker! Excessive forward or back bow, nope...Of course if the guitar has these problems it's failed the pliability test.

J-45 song of the day archive
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._Zmxz51NAwG1UJ

My music
https://soundcloud.com/waynedeats76
https://www.facebook.com/waynedeatsmusic

My guitars
Gibson, Martin, Blueridge, Alvarez, Takamine
Old 04-05-2017, 01:29 PM

Well, all of my guitars have cutaways & 2 out of 3 have factory electronics. So my personal likes seem to be outside the norm.

deal breaker for me is a lack of cutaway...

But seriously, it has to feel right in my hands when played.. no cramping of the fretting fingers. then comes tone.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 04-05-2017, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elasticman View Post
cutaways. Hate 'em. Love symmetry
Pretty much my attitude with an occasional exception. I used to HATE on board electronics, but my Golden Eagle broke me of that. Plus a good amp helps too.

"And I wonder, still I wonder, who'll stop the rain"?
Old 04-05-2017, 01:36 PM
Charter Member

Default Deal-breaker when buying a guitar:

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 04-05-2017, 01:38 PM
AGF Administrator

Condition, tone. Otherwise, pretty much anything is fair game.
Old 04-05-2017, 01:42 PM

Quote:

Ummm... Martin standard and better models?

Old 04-05-2017, 01:42 PM

For me, I have made so many mistakes telling myself, 'ah! you will get used to whatever', so pretty much everything is a deal breaker, what is a deal maker is more the question. I would rather save my money and fight GAS for years to get the deal maker versus settling for less, that is what I did. In the long run I saved myself thousands getting to 'the deal'. The art of the deal.
Old 04-05-2017, 01:46 PM

Anybody's name scratched into the top is a bit off putting, (on the back is ok, no one sees that).

Misspelt logos are another red flag to me, (although my Jibson G44 is a pretty sweet guitar, it's no match for my genuine Merton D28).

Missing tuners, strings, or bridge pins can be an indication that the seller has not really looked after the guitar,
as can any splits or warping in the wood.

Any repairs done with duct tape ...

For me it's a combination of all these kind of subtle little clues that can break a deal.
Old 04-05-2017, 01:46 PM
Charter Member

Lots of blingy inlay
On board electronics
Cutaways
70 Yamaha FG-110
69 Ryoji Matsuoka no.20 (classical)
21 Marlon Navarro Studio (classical)
22 Martin 000-28EC
2019 Martin Style 28 Herringbone Adi
' 50s Magnatone Lap Steel
'60s Decca DSP (Dept. Store Parlor)
Late 30's Favilla Soprano Uke
Electrics and more electrics
Old 04-05-2017, 02:00 PM

I, too, don't like onboard electronics -- period, and even more so when there are compartments and control units installed as well. I disagree with the premise that these installations are necessary because I rarely enjoy the sound of these instruments in performance other than solo or maybe in a duo. I realize that everybody is playing for digital recording now, or playing in amplified groups, but for me, an acoustic guitar is meant for acoustic music -- direct to the listener -- and it is so rare for me to hear the instrument used in an amped setting with anything but deficient results that I have zero interest in messing up any instrument by installing electronics. I don't think its necessary because I don't think using acoustics that way is necessary or desirable. I don't expect anyone to agree with this extreme minority view but heck -- you asked. I like my acoustic guitars... acoustic. I like my electric guitars electric.
Old 04-05-2017, 02:08 PM
AGF Sponsor

Don't really like cut aways. Or gloss finish on the neck.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion