The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-05-2017, 10:55 AM

Default Deal-breakers when buying a guitar.

Curious to hear what everyone's criteria is when purchasing a guitar. For me, any kind of installed electronics are a deal-breaker. I just cannot warm up to them, no matter how useful they can be. Now some makers like Taylor install them on every model (save for the Baby, Big Baby).

I was in a shop the other day and noticed that it's getting hard to find an acoustic guitar without some kind of electronics installed. Most of the Gibsons even had some kind of electronics, though tucked away in the soundhole. I don't think I could even warm up to that. I guess I just like an old-fashioned acoustic guitar.
Old 04-05-2017, 11:00 AM

cutaways. Hate 'em. Love symmetry
Old 04-05-2017, 11:11 AM
Charter Member

Assuming of course that I like the guitar in all other respects, deal breakers for me would be:
  • Nut width less than 1-3/4
  • String-spacing at the saddle less than 2-1/4
  • Full sized dreads
  • Trap door electronics
  • Special/unusual inlays (i.e. Martin's Seth Avett signature model)
  • Colored guitars, other than traditional sunbursts and maybe black

Martin 000-28EC
'71 Harmony Buck Owens American
Epiphone Inspired by Gibson J-45
Gold Tone PBR-D Paul Beard Signature Model resonator

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia
Old 04-05-2017, 11:12 AM
Charter Member

Not sure I understand the question.

The criteria when buying a guitar, is whether it meets my requirements - neck dimensions, design, and build quality.

Deal breaker? Poor presentation (poor fretwork, wobbly neck etc., dull souund - which is why I couldn't buy a Jackson Browne, or a L-oo.

Too thin fretboards are the real deal breaker for me.

Martin re-issued the D12-35, but put a slabhead on it (that's so wrong) and gave it a 1 & 3/4" nut - on a 12 string? (Downright stupid).
Old 04-05-2017, 11:28 AM

I'm with the OP re: built in electronics.

I don't typically care for cutaways but it wouldn't be a dealkiller if I loved the guitar otherwise.

I tend not to care for many signature models, but that is more of an issue with electrics usually, where you see things like artist's sigs on headstocks or fingerboard inlays. There are a lot more acoustic sig models I could live with than electric ones, and I don't play electrics anymore anyways.

I think the big deterrent for me is bling. I like more plain and traditional instruments, personally, as far as what I like to own and play. I don't care for highly figured woods or lots of inlay work. I admire that stuff, just don't care for it on my own guitars and ukes.

If I see a guy playing an acoustic guitar shaped like a Flying V with candy apple red paint, rhinestones and LED lights, I'd probably think "Cool!" but I'd never want to own such a thing.

May be why I'm so attracted to Lowdens along with many classic old Martins, Gibsons, etc. Traditional look, and understated.

- John Shedd
Old 04-05-2017, 11:30 AM

Gloss finish on the neck and nut spacing less than 1 3/4.
Old 04-05-2017, 11:37 AM

I call my wife "The Deal Breaker." Played a nice D-18 at Gruhn's and had a good price and they were even going to ship it to me at home but I got to the counter and got "the look."
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 04-05-2017, 11:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drplayer View Post
Assuming of course that I like the guitar in all other respects, deal breakers for me would be:
  • Nut width less than 1-3/4
  • String-spacing at the saddle less than 2-1/4
  • Full sized dreads
  • Trap door electronics
  • Special/unusual inlays (i.e. Martin's Seth Avett signature model)
  • Colored guitars, other than traditional sunbursts and maybe black
That's pretty close to my list, especially the first four. A 2-1/4" string spacing would be a deal-breaker on a finger-style guitar — too narrow. One addition: a neck too chunky to get my thumb over.
Old 04-05-2017, 11:53 AM

Celebrity Signature guitars are a non-starter for me.
Old 04-05-2017, 11:56 AM

The use of the word Mint or Minty.

Old 04-05-2017, 12:03 PM

When a seller tells me to do my own research on a guitar they are selling,
like "It is a NAMM guitar" (with no documentation to back it up) or they tell me to 'look it up on the luthiers website'
or, 'here's the serial number, call the manufacturer and get the info yourself'.

Net sending specific requested photos or easily measured detail specs as requested on a guitar for sale.

I turn and walk 180 degrees from those things - - -
Old 04-05-2017, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Everything View Post
For me, any kind of installed electronics are a deal-breaker.
For many other people, installed electronics is what they want. If you want and/or need a guitar with installed electronics you could not say that finding one is a deal-breaker. Try performing without installed electronics and all you can do is sit or stand in one place. Also, the sounds from an electric acoustic are completely different than the sounds from a regular acoustic.
Old 04-05-2017, 12:17 PM

It's gotta sound good to me when I play it. I need a guitar with good projection for my softer fingerstyle playing.
Old 04-05-2017, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddslide View Post
If I see a guy playing an acoustic guitar shaped like a Flying V with candy apple red paint, rhinestones and LED lights, I'd probably think "Cool!" but I'd never want to own such a thing.
I'm with you, Muddslide! I'm also not a fan of huge, gaudy pickguards with birds and/or flowers all over them...I'm lookin' at you, Gibson...
2018 Larrivee Custom OM-10 Rosewood/Alpine Moon Spruce/Torch inlay
2018 Taylor 524ce LTD NAMM Show all-walnut
Old 04-05-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar george View Post
For many other people, installed electronics is what they want. If you want and/or need a guitar with installed electronics you could not say that finding one is a deal-breaker. Try performing without installed electronics and all you can do is sit or stand in one place. Also, the sounds from an electric acoustic are completely different than the sounds from a regular acoustic.
I understand, and I even have a pickup installed in my guitar, but it isn't noticeable unless you happen to see the input jack hole in my strap button. I used to play in a setting requiring me to plug in, so I got the pickup installed. I should have clarified in my opening post that I am more put off by the "barn door" type electronics, and even the little black knobs that come on Taylors.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion