The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-06-2017, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameleye View Post
I like the cocobolo (with adi top) tone of my recent SCGC 00 Skye.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Cocobolo is what you're looking for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandguitar View Post
I don't have expansive knowledge with your question, but you've got two early Cocobolo recommendations, .....and I'll add a third vote. Paring this with a nice old growth Redwood with very stiff build properties could be a great combo with the right sets of wood.
Here's another vote for cocobolo. Love the tone of my Yamamoto Talus VS-12 with a paulownia top and cocobolo B&S.
Old 03-06-2017, 11:49 PM

Johan, I'm not going to try to talk you into reconsidering rosewood. The first wood I'd suggest you investigate is Macassar ebony. Admittedly, I haven't played a huge number of guitars made out of it: ten or twelve, at most. But all of them have had the sort of tone you say you're looking for. It's a superb tonewood.

Pandaroo made another excellent suggestion: Australian/Tasmanian blackwood. It's in the acacia family, like koa, and even looks a lot like koa, but the Australian blackwood instruments I've owned (two) and played (ten times that) have sounded more like a cross between koa and rosewood than koa alone.

So look into those two woods: Macassar ebony and Australian (sometimes marketed as Tasmanian) blackwood. As an added benefit, both are exceptionally attractive woods, as well - at least in my opinion.

Macassar ebony:

˙˙˙

and Australian blackwood:

˙˙˙

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 03-06-2017, 11:51 PM

I posted essentially the same question in the Custom Shop section a while back. It went 5 pages and got heavily into the physics of how guitars make sound. And there was no real resolution after all that.

You can check it out here.

tl;dr: While a few woods generally qualify, the luthier and specific piece of tree are probably more important.
Old 03-07-2017, 12:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle View Post
I posted essentially the same question in the Custom Shop section a while back. It went 5 pages and got heavily into the physics of how guitars make sound. And there was no real resolution after all that.

You can check it out here.

tl;dr: While a few woods generally qualify, the luthier and specific piece of tree are probably more important.
Agreed. Threads like this typically end up with the same result as if you asked a group of people what car you should buy. You get a lot of people recommending what they happen to own.

If the OP is looking for a specific sound, he'd be best served finding a builder that features that type of tone. Then, pick the body style. Then the top wood. Back wood should be one of the last things on the priority list.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan Madsen View Post
I am not really a rosewood guy as I usually prefer dryer sounding woods, but I admit that its tonal properties can work in a great way for slow arpeggiated fingerstyle stuffs. Having said that I still have trouble to bond with rosewood's often metallic kind of trebles and scooped mids, so here's my question, what tonewood in your opinion shares rosewood's strong bass register and overtones but with more mids and without those glassy metallic or whatever treble properties ?
Try some different luthiers' instruments than the ones you have already sampled.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:55 AM
Charter Member

NOT IN ORDER, just what I hear compared to what you want in your OP:

Macassar Ebony

Tasmanian Blackwood

Koa

Cocobolo

Guatemalan Rosewood
Old 03-07-2017, 09:03 AM

wow johan u really have u'r mind made up re what rosewood can 'n cant do but u'r not alone - seems to be a prevalent preconception overlooking soundboard system and 'build'.
Short answer - Cuban Mahogany or possibly Sapele.
Old 03-07-2017, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westman View Post
wow johan u really have u'r mind made up re what rosewood can 'n cant do but u'r not alone - seems to be a prevalent preconception overlooking soundboard system and 'build'.
Short answer - Cuban Mahogany or possibly Sapele.
Short answer to what question?
Old 03-07-2017, 11:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan Madsen View Post
I am not really a rosewood guy as I usually prefer dryer sounding woods, but I admit that its tonal properties can work in a great way for slow arpeggiated fingerstyle stuffs. Having said that I still have trouble to bond with rosewood's often metallic kind of trebles and scooped mids, so here's my question, what tonewood in your opinion shares rosewood's strong bass register and overtones but with more mids and without those glassy metallic or whatever treble properties ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic View Post
You'll probably get a few Ovangkols here ...snip...
Taylor Guitars seems to believe Ovangkol is exactly what you are looking for...

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 03-07-2017, 11:26 AM

I went with cocobolo because I found the sound to be the answer to my same exact question, while I was searching to buy a new OM. I've had no idea what cocobolo was until I tried the OM that I currently own. I was searching for nice balanced tone with mids included, something that rosewoods that I've tried did not have.
Old 03-07-2017, 11:40 AM

I'll through a big monkey wrench into this.
Jean Larrivee's guitars are known for tonal balance no matter what the backing woods or top woods.
I have played my share of them and many body styles.
If you want MORE pronounced mids, by a guitar designed to produce that.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 03-07-2017, 12:07 PM

Thumbs up

what tonewood in your opinion shares rosewood's strong bass register and overtones but with more mids and without those glassy metallic or whatever treble properties ?

Bubinga....in spades
Old 03-07-2017, 12:19 PM

I get the whole metallic zing thing.

If you still want plenty of bass but not the metallic zing... Here would be my recipe...

Dense but not low damping woods. Oak, Ebony family, Cuban mahogany, ovangkol, shedua, mesquite, hickory.. Maybe even rock maple. Stuff along those lines. Stay away from rosewood and rosewood like stuff like Hormigo, Granadillo, maca, paduak and also Osage orange and black locust.

Heavy sides - helps bring out the bass... Weight is the thing. Double sides or extra thick sides are a way to get this - even with normal range woods. So like a mahogany back with mahogany double sides.

So.. Here's a guitar recipe.. Quartersawn white oak B/S. Leave the sides thick (>0.10") - oak bends easy. Lutz spruce top. Tapered bracing.

Thanks
Old 03-07-2017, 01:06 PM

Johan, another thought occurred to me, and that is that you might look for a Martin Norman Blake model Triple O. These have a 14 fret Triple O/OM body but the neck joins the body at the 12th fret.

I've played several, both Martins and the Blueridge imitation of the same design, in rosewood, mahogany and sapele, and all of them had prominent midrange responses. It seems to be a characteristic of that design.

Just a thought...

whm
Old 03-07-2017, 01:06 PM

If you do not like glassy treble I would stay away from Cocobolo.

As Wade mentioned Australian Blackwood is a great option. Depending on the builder Ovangkol is great alternative, too - maybe paired with cedar . I absolutely love that combination on my BSG Parlor guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion