The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-16-2017, 08:17 PM

Default The NEW G7th Ultralight Capo Review here!

Hi All!

I was fortunate enough to be given the opportunity to review one of G7th's new Ultralight capos. Nick and Simon are class acts and their company is top notch.

This capo is SUPER light and is made of a very flexible yet solid "composite material." This capo is like their other capos in the fact that YOU determine the amount of pressure that comes down across the strings.

This capo is a great option for beginners or pros alike and at a price point that is easily reachable. This Ultralight also features a lifetime warranty just like the rest of the G7th capos.

On to the design. The design is simplistic and user friendly. The Ultralight features a screw and clip. The screw rises to allow for wider necks and can be lowered to make it fit. It features a clip that holds together via pressure.

I tested this on both my Taylor and Martin. It performed wonderfully on both necks!

Of course I had to adjust it accordingly and the best option I found was to have the screw almost unwound, clip it on and then screw it down to put pressure on the strings. Once it was set for either the Taylor or Martin it was easy to make simply adjustments as I moved it up or down the neck.

I've taken some pics which can be found below. I took some pictures of my G7th Performance 2 capo as well so you can see a side by side comparison. Like the rest of the G7th family this Ultralight did not pull any of my strings sharp. At a price of 9.99 British Pounds or about $12 dollars this is an absolute success. Leave it to G7th to hit another grand slam! Thanks Nick and Simon!

G7th Capos

Last edited by jjrpilot; 01-16-2017 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Edit
Old 01-16-2017, 08:51 PM
Charter Member

Thanks, looking interesting. Could you any tonal difference between the Performance 2 and the Ultralight?
Old 01-16-2017, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkgtr View Post
Thanks, looking interesting. Could you any tonal difference between the Performance 2 and the Ultralight?
Hi Talkgtr! No I couldn't discern any tonal difference at all. It sounded great and did its job wonderfully.
G7th Capos
Old 01-17-2017, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrpilot View Post
Hi All!

I was fortunate enough to be given the opportunity to review one of G7th's new Ultralight capos. Nick and Simon are class acts and their company is top notch.

This capo is SUPER light and is made of a very flexible yet solid "composite material." This capo is like their other capos in the fact that YOU determine the amount of pressure that comes down across the strings.

This capo is a great option for beginners or pros alike and at a price point that is easily reachable. This Ultralight also features a lifetime warranty just like the rest of the G7th capos.

On to the design. The design is simplistic and user friendly. The Ultralight features a screw and clip. The screw rises to allow for wider necks and can be lowered to make it fit. It features a clip that holds together via pressure.

I tested this on both my Taylor and Martin. It performed wonderfully on both necks!

Of course I had to adjust it accordingly and the best option I found was to have the screw almost unwound, clip it on and then screw it down to put pressure on the strings. Once it was set for either the Taylor or Martin it was easy to make simply adjustments as I moved it up or down the neck.

I've taken some pics which can be found below. I took some pictures of my G7th Performance 2 capo as well so you can see a side by side comparison. Like the rest of the G7th family this Ultralight did not pull any of my strings sharp. At a price of 9.99 British Pounds or about $12 dollars this is an absolute success. Leave it to G7th to hit another grand slam! Thanks Nick and Simon!

This capo looks very interesting. I'm thinking about picking a couple of these up to be a backup in case something happens to my performance 2 when I'm about to start a gig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-17-2017, 07:01 AM

Default G7

I am a fan of G7, especially Newports. How does one get this onto the guitar in the first place? My guess is that it has to be totally unscrewed, slipped on, then rethreaded, which seems like a cumbersome process to me. But knowing FG7, maybe they have found a way to make this fast and simple that is not obvious to me.

FWIW, Planet Waves has a plastic model that is ultralight. I bought one, fearing the worst, but it works just as well as their metal ones, at a fraction of the weight. Time will tell how long it lasts, probably quite long for me as I only rarely use capos.

It is very neat that this new G7 costs so little. If they had it years ago, I would have bought my first G7 far sooner. It took me some years to take the step to a much more expensive capo and to realize that you do get something for the extra money.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:04 AM
Charter Member

I just ordered mine. Nick is so great - I accidentally ordered it in GBP so Nick took the time to email me and fix it to USD for me. For a little $10 item, he took the time to provide great customer service. Great guy. Great company. Great products.

I had a simple strap capo for ages and loved the tiny size and simplicity. I am really looking forward to trying the G7th Ultralight

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 01-17-2017, 08:05 AM

Will this fit on a typical width 12-string neck?

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 01-17-2017, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
I am a fan of G7, especially Newports. How does one get this onto the guitar in the first place? My guess is that it has to be totally unscrewed, slipped on, then rethreaded, which seems like a cumbersome process to me. But knowing FG7, maybe they have found a way to make this fast and simple that is not obvious to me.

FWIW, Planet Waves has a plastic model that is ultralight. I bought one, fearing the worst, but it works just as well as their metal ones, at a fraction of the weight. Time will tell how long it lasts, probably quite long for me as I only rarely use capos.

It is very neat that this new G7 costs so little. If they had it years ago, I would have bought my first G7 far sooner. It took me some years to take the step to a much more expensive capo and to realize that you do get something for the extra money.
Thankfully you don't have to unscrew the whole thing in order to put it on. For me, I unscrewed it most of the way and then wrapped it around the neck, put the clip in place and then screwed the bar down until it was enough to capo the strings.

At first you think it's going to be a somewhat complicated process...but trust me, it's actually really user friendly. I still prefer my Performance 2 capo, but this Ultralight is DEFINITELY a keeper and would be a great back up or a great full time use capo for those who want to keep costs lower.

Here's their website info: https://www.g7th.com/ultralight
G7th Capos
Old 01-17-2017, 09:50 AM

Just ordered one. I normally use a Shubb or Paige. I'll give an update when it gets here.
Old 01-17-2017, 11:08 AM

Ordered! $9.99 and free shipping. Can't beat that!
Old 01-17-2017, 11:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
Ordered! $9.99 and free shipping. Can't beat that!
How did you order it?

Steve
Old 01-17-2017, 11:53 AM

It's free shipping straight from them on their website.

Have an Ultralight and a Newport 12 string soon to be on the way.
Old 01-17-2017, 11:54 AM

It looks like it would not really lend itself to storing on the headstock somehow. It that true?
Old 01-17-2017, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Conquistador View Post
How did you order it?
https://www.g7th.com/ultralight

choose your color and order it.
Old 01-17-2017, 12:01 PM

Doesn't look like it is capable of quick & easy position change in a "live" setting???

How quick is the change of position. On the performance it is seconds

Breedlove American C25 SME--Neumann KMS 105---Fishman Loudbox Performer---KORG PA 4X--Tascam DP 24
God, My Guitar, & Me

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion