The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-12-2018, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMsong View Post
Well, if they are anything like Straight Up Strings (and they should be very similar from what I've read and since they are both made by Roger Siminoff) then I would say go for it. I just put some of those on that I got from Elderly and I can't believe how good they sound on an Epi Masterbilt EF-500M that had some monels on). Amazing! Loving that guitar right now!

I’ll probably do that and try the Santa Cruz to start even if that gesture is mostly like a tip at your beloved neighborhood brewery. That SCGC guitar is now at 9 years of killing GAS.

What you don’t see with this typing is a smile and thinking about going down another rabbit hole. I put this off to use up a stack of stuff like trials I didn’t like, bargains, a forgotten D’Addario 3-pack. Point being I was going to try one set but sure I would resume getting DRs when the price was right.

The rabbit hole? Now I’m looking at what’s come out in the past year+, remembering I used to be happy with $3-4ish a set Mapes, and how important just fresh strings and “shut up and play your guitar” are.

Old 01-12-2018, 08:45 AM

These are wonderful strings. I just posted a sound sample today in another thread and I'm ecstatic with the results. They feel amazing, and sound even better.

They are pricey, but I generally use 2 packs of John Pearse strings per month. I'm spending $15/mo already, so if I can make these last 2 months, then I come out ahead cost wise. I think I can easily get 2 months worth because they are coated and I'm not noticing any signs of wear after 2 weeks.
Old 01-29-2018, 02:56 PM

The early report is they're fantastic or at least this lower tension set of their two offerings is perfect for my 14 fret 000 Santa Cruz "OMS". If this is the early report the late report will be when I know they keep their tone and temper (stays in tune) for a good while.

The sound and feel are much like round core phosphor bronze that have been my favorites. They're really nice all over the neck whether that's tone, feel or volume.

Having tried Thomastik and going through lots of somewhat more expensive round core from Pyramid and Newtone I'd say the price is livable if the later report is long life.

For now or early reporting: They sure sound good and powerful for what seems like going to lighter gage strings. It's kind of like going to lighter gage strings without anything I didn't like about that in the past.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion