The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-18-2015, 05:47 PM
Charter Member

I typically use .12's especially for fingerstyle but have .13's on my Martin D-28 1934 Gruhn copy 12 fret. For some reason they feel right and sure sound better on this particular guitar.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 05-18-2015, 05:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Scott View Post
Do you people think it's OK to use mediums on a 000? I have a 000 15SM and play a lot of fingerstyle stuff and I would like to try mediums but the guitar feels so lightly built that I haven't dared to try them yet. Just want to get a bit more bass. I suppose that's because I'm really a "Dread" man, and when I had one of those I changed between meds. and lights depending on where or what I was playing.
These days, my acoustic playing is mainly at home, but I would still like to up the bass response of my guitar. Maybe those "bluegrass" sets mentioned earlier would do the trick. What are the gauges in a typical set?
That depends on the 000 in question. If it has a pyramid bridge it's probably not a good idea to use a full medium gauge set of strings on it. If it has a belly bridge, it's probably OK. In either case there are exceptions. Speak with the luthier who made the guitar to get his/her opinion.
Old 05-18-2015, 10:16 PM
Guest 1511

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
My J45 is the only guitar I have strung with Mediums and lately I have liked the way it sounds playing finger style. Thinking of trying some on one of my other guitars.

Just curious if anyone prefers Mediums for finger style.
I hate doing bends on mediums. If you play without bends (hard to imagine) then I think they are fine. If you can bend 13s, do it as it won't hurt the guitar and the tone may change to your liking. I have a J-45 but haven't ever tried 13s on it. I tried 11s once but it robbed some of the mojo so I went back to 12s. I can't imagine 13s would be worse sounding.
Old 05-21-2015, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T1mothy View Post
Michael Watts does I believe. Have a listen to him. His tone and the dynamic range he posseses in his hands is unsurpassed in my opinion
Thank you for your kind words! I do indeed use mediums (Elixir PB nano) in DADGAD. My Kostal MD has a 25.25" scale. I'm a great believer in going as heavy as you can...
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Guitars by Jason Kostal, Strings by Elixir, Gefell Mics and a nail buffer.
Old 01-08-2018, 07:59 PM

Default Extra lights on my Zager 80 DE

Because that's how it was set up when I bought it. Prior to this guitar it was Martin Marquis lights for over 30 years. I have the same fatigue issue with barred chords that somebody else mentioned.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:11 AM

No not for me only on my GS mini . I only use 12/53- 54 on all my other guitars . Main reason I buy my strings in bulk , one brand fits all , have done for the last Seven years
Yamaha SLG200S
Yamaha NTX1200R
Taylor GSMiniE Rosewood
Joe Brown Uke
AER Compact 60
Marshall AS50D

Now 100% Acoustic and loving it ! No more GAS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion