The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-05-2012, 08:39 AM
Charter Member

Default Saw an unusual guitar today Gibson MK 53

I was in one of the local GCs yesterday and they had a pretty unique (to me) guitar. It was a 1977 Gibson MK 53
I'll have to admit, that I am a bit more than intrigued....anyone on the forum have any experience with one of these.

A second question, if the guitar is sound (no cracks or visual irregularities) can it be set up to be a really nice sounding guitar.
Charlie
Old 12-05-2012, 09:24 AM

These guitars were a big experiment by Gibson. They bought them all back, save for a few that got away. I believe they were Kasha braced instruments which were a big deal back in the mid to late 70s. An interesting footnote in Gibson history. As I recall, they didn't sound anything at all like a traditional Gibson. They were, however, a perfectly fine guitar.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Jazz View Post
These guitars were a big experiment by Gibson. They bought them all back, save for a few that got away. I believe they were Kasha braced instruments which were a big deal back in the mid to late 70s. An interesting footnote in Gibson history. As I recall, they didn't sound anything at all like a traditional Gibson. They were, however, a perfectly fine guitar.
I have seen a few of them out there, but never played one. I had not heard anything about Gibson buying them back. I know that they were not a big seller. Was there some other problem?
Jonathan Vacanti archtop
Aaron Garcia Ruiz classical
Old 12-05-2012, 09:44 AM

they play well and look interesting (to me anyway) but in general the sound seems a bit throttled back and somewhat dead IMO. still they are gibson's though.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:16 PM

Red face

The sound hole rosette piece is interchangeable. The bridge is not a traditional placement. All done on the theory behind a scientific investigation with projection and resonation. Gibson was on meds when they put this one into production. If I had the xtra cash around I'd pick up one in good condition for posterity, 'cause they ain't ever gonna do this again! J.D.

Last edited by jpd; 12-05-2012 at 07:56 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:42 PM

If they were perfectly fine guitars why did Gibson buy them all back. In my opinion, they were a terrible experiment gone horribly wrong. Stay away from the Mark series
Old 12-05-2012, 01:54 PM
Charter Member

Default Fore warned and backing off

Well thanks folks, I've had enough suggestions that I stay away from this one and I will.
That is why I love this forum
Charlie
Old 12-05-2012, 06:28 PM

Just to add controversy, I actually played one a few months ago and rather liked it. I wouldn't overpay, but for the right price I would buy one.

I take all the "I've never played one but I heard they're terrible" comments with a grain of salt.

1943 Gibson J-45
Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Voyage Air VAOM-4
IBG Epiphone J-200 Aged Antique
Old 12-05-2012, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Smith View Post
I take all the "I've never played one but I heard they're terrible" comments with a grain of salt.
I played several of them when they were new, the store I taught in was a Gibson dealer. At the time, I thought they were okay guitars but a bit overpriced. A lot of them are marked "second" on the back of the headstock for some reason, but I don't believe Gibson ever bought them back. Most of the ones I've seen no longer have the pick guard/sound ring or the interchangeable saddles. Depending on the price, I'd consider one.
Brad
Guild F212: 1964 (Hoboken), Guild Mark V: 1975 (Westerly), Guild Artist Award: 1975 (Westerly), Guild F50: 1976 (Westerly), Guild F512: 2010 (New Hartford), Pawless Mesquite Special: 2012, 90s Epi HR Custom (Samick), 2014 Guild OOO 12-fret Orpheum (New Hartford), 2013 12 fret Orpheum Dread (New Hartford), Guild BT258E, 8 string baritone, 1994 Guild D55, Westerly, 2023 Cordoba GK Negra Pro.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:50 PM

There's no mention of the any Gibson "buyback" in the book "Gibsons Fabulous Flat-Top Guitars", so it sounds like an urban legend. There are quite a few on Ebay, especially the lower models, so they aren't that rare.

I've never played one, but as a Gibson fan, I'd like to try one too see how good or bad they are. If one drops in my lap at the right price, I'd give it a shot. According to the book, manufacturing compromises changed the design enough to negate the benefits of the original concept. Also, the mid '70s are a long way from Gibson's "golden age".
Old 12-06-2012, 08:43 PM

It was in Canada. I was working for Mountain Music at the time and the Gibson Rep sold one to our accountant and then approached him a month or so later and bought it back along with a couple of others. Our accountant then ordered a Laskin. (smart guy)
Old 01-03-2018, 05:48 PM

Default Gibson mk 53

I bought a Gibson mk 53 in Tulsa Oklahoma in 1978. Iīve had a love/hate relationship with it for a long time. I found it hard to play and I didnīt like the sound of it. I guess I kept it because it was a Gibson. About fifteen years ago I took it to a local luthier who lowered the action on the guitar and also replaced the bridge saddle with one made of bone with a recess so the guitar would play more in tune. After that I started appreciating it more and now I enjoy playing it. I picked up a mahogany Martin 0015 which about fifteen years ago and they compliment each other quite nicely. I prefer the sound of the mk 53 when recording (I mostly play finger style).

I really like the Gibson now.

My two cents
oddur
Old 01-03-2018, 05:53 PM

Some other notable Gibson "flops" are F5 mandolins, Flying V, and Explorer guitars, all going for into 6 figures today.
Old 01-03-2018, 05:56 PM
Charter Member

Default 1977 MK-35

I purchased the Mahogany backed MK model (MK-35) in 1977 as a 17 year old. It was the first acoustic guitar purchase (and first major purchase of any type) I made.

I still own it, and likely will till the end of the adventure.

IMG_6701B.jpg

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 01-10-2018, 04:41 PM

That's my story too. I bought my MK-35 around then too. My first acoustic. I still have it. The original case sells pretty high from what I've seen over the years.

I had a MK-73? (Rosewood) too at one time. Paid about $800 and sold it for $650 a few years later since I never played it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion