The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-23-2010, 10:55 AM

Red face

Amazing how different human beings are... I'm sitting here thinking... "how could someone like that?"
But it is your guitar... the one with the entire guitar top covered... is weird... might as well get a sunburst finish... or just a red finish if you really want it... uh... i dunno, I'll do No-pickguard any day over a pickguard... let alone 2 or more...

But hey, like everyone else has said... "it is your guitar..."
But that will hurt resale value if you ever decide to get rid of it, cos anyone who likes that look is truly UNIQUE as the unofficial poll in this thread has shown

In this LIFE I will stand, through my JOY and my PAIN, knowing there's a greater day... there's a HOPE that never FAILS!

2010 Taylor 816CE Fall LTD (S/IR, Florentine cutaway )
GONE: 2009 Taylor 416CE Spring LTD (Blackwood)
2009 Epiphone Sheraton II (Ebony)
Old 09-24-2010, 08:09 AM

Talk about planting a pinky and the Non Pinky Planters will emerge. Talk about paint or thick coatings on the top, voices are risen in protest. But talk about pickguards about the size of the flight deck of a carrier, and people mostly shrug.

This whole discussion reminds me of the "batwing" pickguards Bob Shane used to put on his Martins. It is distinctive, yeah, but . . .

As people have said, it's your guitar. If, however, I were ever in the position of considering making it my guitar, this would seriously affect the amount I'd be willing to pay. I doubt I'm alone.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichthus View Post
Since much of the sound comes from the top vibrating, how much, if anything, will two pickguards inhibit the vibrations? Does anyone know?
It probably will change the way the guitar sounds but I think it would give it a unique look. Go for it!
Old 09-25-2010, 06:53 AM

Default double pick guard

I am not sure if I would do it, but I actually like it!

Are you a wild strummer? That would make operational sense - you need it to protect the upper wood.

Dave
Old 09-25-2010, 10:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
As people have said, it's your guitar. If, however, I were ever in the position of considering making it my guitar, this would seriously affect the amount I'd be willing to pay. I doubt I'm alone.
It will also severly limit the number of prospective buyers should you decide to sell it at some later date. Been there, done that.

Tom
Old 12-17-2017, 05:57 PM
Guest 616

Default Double pick-guards make sense both cosmetically and structurally.

Richie Havens demonstrated the need for double guards and to an extent so did the Everly Brothers. Aside from their value in maintaining the condition of the soundboard they most certainly have an aesthetic value (see pic). I have not found them to diminish the sound of the guitar at levels the human ear could notice. I will be uploading two photos. Both of them are of Two Takamine guitars. The natural one is a photo of a guitar that had me cutting the bass side guard myself. That model is of a Takamine GD-20. The black guitar is a projected illustration of a job I am about to commence. It is of a Takamine GN-30 and the nod to the Everly Bros. model is intentional. I WILL UPLOAD THEM IF I CAN FIGURE OUT HOW TO DO THAT...lol. By the by..double pick-guards are not for everyone just like Chevrolets, Sushi, and Rap music is not for everyone. It is just a matter of taste and expression...y'all can name your own poison...LOL.

Last edited by Guest 616; 12-17-2017 at 06:28 PM.
Old 12-17-2017, 06:18 PM

My less cavalier idea would be to remove the existing PG and call it the better aesthetic. But, I think PGs are the ugliest thing one could do to a guitar top rather than for it. That said, if it is absolutely required to prevent damage from a windmilling hand then my first suggestion would be to exercise a better technique and my second would be to get an HPL topped guitar and save the 414 for the finger picking it does rather well. The 414CE is the only Taylor I ever played that I thought was done right by the brand. Good choice.
Old 12-17-2017, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twangboxx6 View Post
Richie Havens demonstrated the need for double guards and to an extent so did the Everly Brothers. Aside from their value in maintaining the condition of the soundboard they most certainly have an aesthetic value (see pic). I have not found them to diminish the sound of the guitar at levels the human ear could notice. I will be uploading two photos. Both of them are of Two Takamine guitars. The natural one is a photo of a guitar that had me cutting the bass side guard myself. That model is of a Takamine GD-20. The black guitar is a projected illustration of a job I am about to commence. It is of a Takamine GN-30 and the nod to the Everly Bros. model is intentional. I WILL UPLOAD THEM IF I CAN FIGURE OUT HOW TO DO THAT...lol. By the by..double pick-guards are not for everyone just like Chevrolets, Sushi, and Rap music is not for everyone. It is just a matter of taste and expression...y'all can name your own poison...LOL.

Hmmm... So your first post on the forum is to resurrect a 7 year old thread. Can't just start one of your own, I guess...

FYI I have a '64 Martin 00-21 that someone had put double pickguards on decades ago. It was muffled and sounded like it was full of old dirty socks. Once taken off it had a much clearer voice. Still does...

OMMV
Old 12-17-2017, 07:49 PM
Guest 616

Well, what may be old to you is new to me...does that really bother you? If it did why did you respond? Do you set the parameters of what may or may not be discussed? I have found no noticeable difference from before to after application...and we measured this results in a recording studio to be sure. So let us just agree to disagree.
Old 12-17-2017, 07:53 PM

... need I say more?

Old 12-17-2017, 07:57 PM

Like others suggested, clear pick guard I would not mind. The normal one X2 is kinda too much for my taste. Remember that you might affect the tone probably.
Old 12-17-2017, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twangboxx6 View Post
Well, what may be old to you is new to me...does that really bother you? If it did why did you respond? Do you set the parameters of what may or may not be discussed? I have found no noticeable difference from before to after application...and we measured this results in a recording studio to be sure. So let us just agree to disagree.
Zombie threads mystify me. Do as you please.

As to your example, the difference was quite noticeable, and not just to me either. A thought did occur to me. (Not intended to slander your instrument, but you will probably take it that way anyhow) Are you sure that the top of your guitar was responsive enough that it would show a difference?
Old 12-17-2017, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
Hmmm... So your first post on the forum is to resurrect a 7 year old thread. Can't just start one of your own, I guess...

FYI I have a '64 Martin 00-21 that someone had put double pickguards on decades ago. It was muffled and sounded like it was full of old dirty socks. Once taken off it had a much clearer voice. Still does...

OMMV
Time unfolds symmetrically, like a butterfly's wings, or a double pickguard. A post made seven years ago appears today. A post made seven years from today appears now. Who can say what's real and what's not? The heavy wind blows across the water, and ripples spread; what is no longer may yet be, and what is may be again.
Old 12-17-2017, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Shape Cloud View Post
Time unfolds symmetrically, like a butterfly's wings, or a double pickguard. A post made seven years ago appears today. A post made seven years from today appears now. Who can say what's real and what's not? The heavy wind blows across the water, and ripples spread; what is no longer may yet be, and what is may be again.
What key is it in?
Old 12-17-2017, 08:05 PM
Guest 616

nicely said...Dog Shape

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion