The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-08-2008, 06:26 PM

Cool Anyone ever play a Yamaha DW4S? Also, any Yamaha comments welcome

I have an opportunty to pick up a NOS Yamaha DW4S at a decent price. I was pleasantly surpised at how it sounded, but I haven't been able to find out much info. about it on the web. Anybody know anything about these? If you have played one, what are your impressions? And what does the "DWS" stand for?

And even if you have never played one of these, would be glad to hear any general impressions about Yamaha acoustics.

Thanks!
Martin DX1ae
Fender CD 60SCE-12
Old 03-08-2008, 06:42 PM
The Foreigner

Hi beachbum. I don't know about the model you mentioned, but here's what I think of the LL16:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...highlight=LL16
Old 03-08-2008, 09:13 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Year(s) Sold: 1996-98
Original MSRP(US$): $599.00
Top: Solid Spruce
Back / Sides: Mahogany
Neck: Mahogany
Fingerboard: Indian Rosewood
Bridge: Indian Rosewood
Color(s): Natural, Violin Sunburst, Marine Blue
Tuners: TM29G
String Length: 651mm
Here ya go. I never saw one. I'd love to see this one! I have never met a Mahogany Necked Yamaha I didn't love! Great tuners BTW
If you read my posts You will see I am a cheerleader for the Yamahas!
Old 03-09-2008, 01:17 PM

Cool

Thanks for the good Yamaha info!

Well, I pulled the trigger today and so far I'm blown away by this guitar! Good clear trebles, mids just OK, bass is excellent- much stronger than I thought would be possible for a guitar in this price range (less than 1/2 MSRP). But what I like most is this thing is a cannon- way louder than I expected.

If you ever see one of these on a Craigslist or eBay, you may want to take a shot at it. Or maybe I just got one of the good ones, but I couldn't be happier right now with mine.

And I think it must have the original strings on it too. I'll be changing them soon- and i'm assuming it will sound even better.

Thanks again,
Jack
Martin DX1ae
Fender CD 60SCE-12
Old 05-13-2010, 05:59 PM

Default DW4S Meaning

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum205 View Post
I have an opportunty to pick up a NOS Yamaha DW4S at a decent price. I was pleasantly surpised at how it sounded, but I haven't been able to find out much info. about it on the web. Anybody know anything about these? If you have played one, what are your impressions? And what does the "DWS" stand for?

And even if you have never played one of these, would be glad to hear any general impressions about Yamaha acoustics.

Thanks!
Well folks, I own a Yamaha DW4S (had it for about 12 years). I bought via layaway at a now-defunct music store. Very nearly didn't get it after putting my $100 deposit down and walking away for about 6 months. Luckily, the sales guy recognized me from my previous visit and suggested I complete my purchase before he had to put it back on the rack for sale. I'm so glad he talked me into it. The thing plays like a dream and has tone to spare!

As for the DW4S, I can only surmise that the "D" is for Dreadnought, the body style and size. I have the natural finish, so maybe the "W" means White or natural insofar as the color/finish is concerned. The "4" I think means the body depth, which is about 4 inches. The "S" stands for solid top, which is part of the construction.

If you gearheads out there ever get a chance to buy one either online or from a private seller or used instrument retailer, go for it! You won't be disappointed.

Lyjaro
King of the 3-chord strummers
Old 05-13-2010, 06:07 PM

I have occasionally seen DW7 and DW9 for sale, and played a DW9 once. I thought it was a nice guitar but didn't like it enough to pull the trigger. But so far all the other reviews I 've seen have been positive. So I think the one I played was likely a dud
Old 02-26-2015, 09:56 PM

Default Yamaha Dw-4s

Yea, I just wrote in another thread about it. I got one a couple of weeks ago at a pawn shop, it's a beautiful guitar, sounds great and for the money it was a steal for me. I am a Yamaha man anyway, they are the best for the money, we are talking low end to mid. I have a lot of them and love them all.
It's an advantage when you get educated about them, then when a deal comes up, you jump on it.
Old 01-14-2016, 06:22 PM

I'm trying to learn more about the DW4SC MAB.
I have no ideal what the MAB means?
My mother has one she doesn't play anymore, she bought it new in the 90's.
I know nothing about Yamaha acoustic guitars.
Just looked it over and took the battery out to be safe, nice case.
Wondering if this is a desirable or descent guitar ?
Old 01-14-2016, 07:11 PM

Welcome back beachbum!

I recently bought a Yamaha FG-420-12
a really nice used 12-string dread.
I like it a lot.
Old 04-18-2016, 02:40 PM

Default Anyone ever play a Yamaha DW4S? Also, any Yamaha comments welcome

The DW stands for Dreadnought something and the S means it has a solid top. I have had a few DW models but never a DW4 or any with mahogany back, only rosewood. They float around very cheaply in the U.S. as basically no one has heard of or seen them. If you are in the U.S. and want to save a little money, offer the seller a very low price. They just might take it.
Old 01-03-2018, 07:49 PM
Guest 1181

Default Yamaha DW9 vs my other guitars

In the now disappeared Yamaha web page for their dreadnought DW series, they described it as a mid level series, meaning better woods, construction and craftsmanship than the entry level.

I have a Yamaha DW9 dreadnought and comparing it to all my other acoustic steel strings it has the least amount of bottom end, but the highs and mids are pretty balanced throughout the neck and it looks and feels like a very good solid instrument, has typical sitka spruce solid top, rosewood solid back and rosewood laminated sides. It's good to play and I have no other problem with it except the lack of low frequencies. Also, unlike the dreadnought body shape might suggest, my DW9 is not a very good strummer, eventhough I have a heavy bottom 13 set of Martin strings on it. However, it records amazingly well and with good clarity into a mix of a larger collection of other instruments, it's less sensitive to mic positioning and room acoustics and the lack of low frequencies turns into a very good thing as a lot less equalization and low cuts need to be done, which is always a good thing. In comparison, I have recorded a lot with Martin D28 and when that beast needs to me mixed into a larger group of instruments there's always trouble with the abundance of low frequencies, (that are all good when there are no or not many other instruments in the mix with it), and plenty of mic juggling and equalization is necessary to find the right sound.

Besides recording, I would definitely recommend DW9 also as a first guitar because it has the feel of a much better instrument than its price would suggest, the neck plays very well and it's not very loud (making it more friendly towards the folks behind the wall). I bought mine in great condition for not much more than a price of a dozen sets of strings.

Here's a set of photos:

http://www.dropbox.com/s/p5bwp2o0bqpp6lp/dw9.jpg?dl=0

Last edited by Guest 1181; 01-03-2018 at 07:58 PM.
Old 01-04-2018, 05:25 AM

The DW series don't seem to have sold well in Europe, and I can't recall seeing them in my local stores. They disappeared quickly. The only other non-original Yamaha body style models I can think of are early 'L' series like the L5. They appear to have been an attempt to get a piece of the 'traditional' square shoulder dread market, but I could be mistaken.

Last edited by AndrewG; 01-04-2018 at 05:31 AM.
Old 01-04-2018, 06:02 AM

I have a beat Yamaha FG-401 from 1990s, and it plays and sound sweet.
One of my favorites.

Last edited by Theleman; 01-04-2018 at 08:04 AM.
Old 01-04-2018, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum205 View Post
Thanks for the good Yamaha info!

Well, I pulled the trigger today and so far I'm blown away by this guitar! Good clear trebles, mids just OK, bass is excellent- much stronger than I thought would be possible for a guitar in this price range (less than 1/2 MSRP). But what I like most is this thing is a cannon- way louder than I expected.

If you ever see one of these on a Craigslist or eBay, you may want to take a shot at it. Or maybe I just got one of the good ones, but I couldn't be happier right now with mine.

And I think it must have the original strings on it too. I'll be changing them soon- and i'm assuming it will sound even better.

Thanks again,
Jack
Glad you're happy with it.

What did you string it with?
Fender Baja Telecaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion