The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 05:44 AM

Just because Martin respects and celebrates it's heritage doesn't in any way make the company backwards.

All this talk about Martin being the landline vs an iPhone is really inaccurate.

Martin has invested perhaps more than any other maker in manufacturing innovation, development of new string technology, has a steady stream of new tech patents. While they still can make instruments the classic way, they are also bold and unapologetic with new materials. They were and are (like Taylor) at the forefront of sustainability and responsible sourcing. Despite the perception, their work with Fishman has resulted in fantastic electronics. They embraced impulse responses early.

Yes, they absolutely have a long and important history. No, they aren't stuck in the past.
Basic Fender mandolin
Kalii concert uke, mahogany
Old 01-07-2018, 03:13 PM
AGF Sponsor

Every Taylor I've ever heard, unamplified, is too bright. I believe they design them this way.

scott
Old 01-07-2018, 03:30 PM

Martin comes first............................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .......................
in the dictionary!
Old 01-07-2018, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
Every Taylor I've ever heard, unamplified, is too bright. I believe they design them this way.

scott
I agree. Even the newer redesigned 500, 600, 700, 800 etc models all have this bright characteristic that bothers me. I think what Andy did with the bracing was great and at first I was blown away. However, the more I play them, the more I realize that there is indeed a lot of bass on tap but that bright, stringy Taylor tone is still there.

I always think of Martin guitars as warm and woody and Taylor guitars as bright and very focused on the strings. I won't say that they lack that woody characteristic but for some reason, whenever I play Taylor guitars, I feel like I am listening to the strings more than the wood. I know that probably doesn't make sense but it's as if someone put a soundhole cover on the guitar. I can feel that bass still but the highs and the strings are just so direct.
Old 01-07-2018, 06:02 PM

I gravitated to Martin because of who played them too. Dallas Green, Neil Young, John Paul White, Colter Wall, Johnny Cash, Jason Isbell, Sturgil Simpson, Tyler Childers, Brian Fallon, Spencer Burton, John Mayer. All Favourites of mine, and all primarily Martin players. Pretty sure 80-90% of the music I hear them all play is played with a Martin of some sort, so naturally that’s what I went with.

There’s only a small handful of players I like who play Taylor’s, so since I rarely see them, hear them, or think of them... I just haven’t ever considered them.
Old 01-07-2018, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post

scott

I bought a bunch of higher end Taylor’s. They were really nice and played beautifully. But, without exception, they were too bright. Sometimes that brightness will draw me in at a Guitar store. Often, I’m auditioning guitars with bare fingers. And, Taylor’s sound fantastic played finger style. But, once I need to dig in, it’s too bright.
Old 01-07-2018, 06:26 PM

I was a Martin guy for 15 years and still am but I happened to hear a Taylor that blew me away. A 818 that had the upgraded voicing that happened in 2014.

Here's the listing with the clips.
https://www.guitargal.com/products/t...8e-guitar-used

I've had it now a few months and it is every bit as good as the best Martins I've played but it's got a character of it's own. It's very grand and lush with great trebles.

I think Taylor has a bright future and may someday overtake Martin especially with their 800 and 900 series. I think the 3K guitars that Taylor now offers are a better value than the D28s and OM28s that Martin sells.
Old 01-07-2018, 06:49 PM

I think the OP wrote his paper. Hasn’t been back in 7 years.
Old 01-07-2018, 07:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernRedneck View Post
Yes. It's the classic ford vs chevy argument. Some prefer a martin. Others prefer a Taylor.
And let's face it, we can always get 5-10 pages of backing and forthing over which brand is better regardless of what decade it is or how long the debate has already waged on...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 01-07-2018 at 07:22 PM.
Old 01-07-2018, 10:28 PM

I think this line was in our FAQ well before this thread started, and remains there today. For what it is worth. *Please refrain from "brand-wars", or discussions on which brand of guitar is better than the other.* Being interpreted, I believe what it means is you are not supposed to call someone who stupidly prefers a guitar brand that differs from your favorite all the names that keep popping into your brain!

cotten

You have the right to right to remain silent. Anything you say will be used to show just what an idiot you are...
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion