The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-05-2017, 04:32 PM
Charter Member

Here's a video of this wonderful Goodall Standard that I purchased from Mike here on the forum. I'm completely blown away by the tone of this one, just a crazy rich and thick sounding guitar!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwo_7yigf8U

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23
Old 11-07-2017, 12:55 AM
Charter Member

Nice demo Bobby! So glad you are enjoying such a fine instrument.
Play in health!

Mike
Old 11-07-2017, 04:41 AM

That's a fine sounding standard Bobby.
Old 11-07-2017, 10:59 AM

Sounds great Bobby! Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-08-2017, 02:43 PM
Charter Member

This thread needed a link to this video. Someone shared this in the Custom Shop section here on the AGF as well. A great watch, I highly recommend it.

Thanks for the kinds words fellas!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gS78naDiB4k

Old 11-09-2017, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperB23 View Post
This thread needed a link to this video. Someone shared this in the Custom Shop section here on the AGF as well. A great watch, I highly recommend it.

Thanks for the kinds words fellas!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gS78naDiB4k

I can't believe I haven't seen this before. I have added this to the OP. Thanks again Bobby!
Old 11-10-2017, 12:31 AM

I just joined the goodall club with a Goodall RGCC featuring englemann spruce, and which was one of the last Goodalls built in the hawaii shop before the move back to Fort Bragg. This is the first small shop guitar that i have ever owned - but a Goodall is a pretty good guitar to break that particular duck with! I must echo the sentiments of many now that i have had the chance to experience the goodall tone - this guitar will put to shame many guitars considerably more expensive in price...

Last edited by gitarro; 11-10-2017 at 01:49 AM.
Old 01-08-2018, 03:07 PM
Charter Member

Default Played my First Ft. Bragg Goodall Yesterday... Wow!

Made the 90 minute drive to Sylvan Music in Santa Cruz yesterday, to play some of the scores of amazing guitars they have in stock. Lowden, Santa Cruz Guitar Company, vintage Martin, Taylor are aplenty in this fine little store. They also have about half a dozen Goodalls. Two Goodalls, in particular, captured my fancy. The first is a cedar over rosewood concert jumbo. This short scale guitar played like butter, and the tone was very pleasing... powerful and balanced. Then, I picked up a redwood over ebony grand concert. I can honestly say that this is the best sounding and playing guitar I have ever played. On top of the fact that it is drop-dead gorgeous, the tone was almost indescribable. Nothing in the store could compare. Focused and shimmery, balanced and strong... I played it for 2 hours. The neck and action helped me play with higher accuracy. The store came to a price I could live with, but I decided to wait, and do some more research on Goodall before making such a huge investment. I may very well go back next weekend and nab this guy. One thing that concerns me is that it has been in the shop almost 2 years. Anyway, I am curious to hear from any other Goodall owners, especially if you have a grand concert. I am definitely smitten, and ready to jump into the Goodall club!
Old 01-08-2018, 03:13 PM
Charter Member

I've played that same Redwood Goodall GC I remember what a great guitar it was. I normally don't care much for smaller guitars but that one was phenomenal!!!! I have a Redwood topped Goodall Short Scale Standard that is one of my favorite fingerstyle guitars. The Redwood sound added to the beautiful Goodall voicing is the pinnacle of what a modern fingerstyle guitar can sound like in my opinion!! I currently have 3 Goodall guitars and they are all incredible instruments!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkel12 View Post
Made the 90 minute drive to Sylvan Music in Santa Cruz yesterday, to play some of the scores of amazing guitars they have in stock. Lowden, Santa Cruz Guitar Company, vintage Martin, Taylor are aplenty in this fine little store. They also have about half a dozen Goodalls. Two Goodalls, in particular, captured my fancy. The first is a cedar over rosewood concert jumbo. This short scale guitar played like butter, and the tone was very pleasing... powerful and balanced. Then, I picked up a redwood over ebony grand concert. I can honestly say that this is the best sounding and playing guitar I have ever played. On top of the fact that it is drop-dead gorgeous, the tone was almost indescribable. Nothing in the store could compare. Focused and shimmery, balanced and strong... I played it for 2 hours. The neck and action helped me play with higher accuracy. The store came to a price I could live with, but I decided to wait, and do some more research on Goodall before making such a huge investment. I may very well go back next weekend and nab this guy. One thing that concerns me is that it has been in the shop almost 2 years. Anyway, I am curious to hear from any other Goodall owners, especially if you have a grand concert. I am definitely smitten, and ready to jump into the Goodall club!

Old 01-25-2018, 05:40 PM
Charter Member

I haven’t had many opportunities to play Goodall guitars over the years, but the ones I’ve played have been beautiful instruments. The attention to detail is impeccable and they really have a sound of their own. I recently purchased an EIR/Sitka Grand Concert. It has been a great add to my lineup.

Old 01-25-2018, 06:47 PM
Charter Member

What a nice one, Paul! Oodles of sound that I can almost imagine by the rich photos. I have an incoming Goodall Traditional Dreadnaught that I hope looks as good as your new Goodall.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:07 PM
Charter Member

I own a Goodall Grand Concert, redwood over mahogany... I got to know James, Luke and Jean when we both moved to Fort Bragg on the same day in January, 2009. After playing dozens of Goodalls over the next two years, I finally commissioned a guitar from them; at that point, both James and Luke had heard me playing (in their front "showroom") many, many times, and they "steered me" to what is a phenomenal guitar!

Having always played larger-bodied guitars (dreadnoughts and then an Angus F-40), I still feel that the Goodall is small for me... but I can't argue with the sound, not one bit! Very loud, with amazingly fast response from the redwood, not matter how softly I play a note, it literally JUMPS out of the guitar! I don't have a "heavy" right hand, so the redwood fits me like a glove; plus, it imparts a roundness, a warmth to each note that I desire... sweet, sweet guitar! I can't say enough about Goodall guitars...

Only thing I would say to you is that a Grand Concert/OM size is NOT going to produce the bass that a bigger box can... it's the physics of the thing, after all. That said, my Goodall has a very balanced tone spectrum, with plenty of bass... just not like my Angus F-40, which is a fraction larger than what James calls his Concert Jumbo.

If you loved that guitar so much, I can't believe you walked away from it! Guitars that truly speak to you are far and few between... I have no idea why it sat in Sylvan for so long... except that high priced guitars aren't an affordable luxury for a lot of folks these days... and Goodalls aren't cheap - worth every penny and a bargain in their price bracket - but not cheap.

Let us know if you go back and get that!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 01-26-2018, 06:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tippy5 View Post
What a nice one, Paul! Oodles of sound that I can almost imagine by the rich photos. I have an incoming Goodall Traditional Dreadnaught that I hope looks as good as your new Goodall.
Yes, it has great volume under even a gentile touch. There is a surprising bass thump for a smaller guitar (15” lower bout) and as someone else pointed out, there is an enchanting aspect to the tone with great balance. It’s a sweet thing. I keep imaging the “wings” inlay on the headstock represent the sound of angels. Does anyone know the story behind the wings on the headstock?
Old 01-27-2018, 08:40 AM

Default Goodall TROM with Baggs Anthem

Hello all,

The only Goodall I've ever played is my TROM (5873, no date), EIR and Adirondack, with very pretty maple binding. I don't play it much for blues, since it's really hard to make it sad and lonesome sounding in the right way, but it's great for more generic fingerstyle and flatpicking.

I bought it used from this forum (the owner was a pilot who very nicely brought it with him to the local airport), who bought it from someone else, who had James Goodall install what I think is the Baggs Anthem pickup; at least, it has the metal replacement for the endpin that looks just like the one posted a few posts back.

JSeth responded to that post with the suggestion that removing the pickup would improve the sound. Would it be worth sending it back to Goodall too do that? Or should I find a luthier here to do it? Would I be risking harm to the guitar? Would it really make much difference, given that I love the thing already? (I realize that last question touches on How to live Life issues, a bit).

will
Old 01-27-2018, 10:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
If you loved that guitar so much, I can't believe you walked away from it! Guitars that truly speak to you are far and few between... I have no idea why it sat in Sylvan for so long... except that high priced guitars aren't an affordable luxury for a lot of folks these days... and Goodalls aren't cheap - worth every penny and a bargain in their price bracket - but not cheap.

Let us know if you go back and get that!
I went back the following weekend and played it again, and decided not to pull the trigger. Still in the market for a cutaway Goodall with a redwood or cedar top. jseth let me know if you have grown tired of yours... it looks like something I would have designed for me! ~ Mike

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion