The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-26-2017, 04:48 PM

Yes, if you're at 40%, you're just fine and dandy. No need to humidify.
Old 11-26-2017, 04:54 PM

Mine stays outside so far. The lower it went indoors was 35% for a night. The house is usually 37%-43% all winter long. Last winter the guitar stayed outside, no issues at all.
Old 11-26-2017, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesidae View Post
Just picked up a humidifier. My guitar room is 12' by 12' and has French doors. RH is 40%. Guitars are hanging on the walls. So far, so good.
40% is fine, i wish my house would stay there, it has went as low as 29% so far this season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orfeas View Post
Mine stays outside so far. The lower it went indoors was 35% for a night. The house is usually 37%-43% all winter long. Last winter the guitar stayed outside, no issues at all.
35% is passable, not great, but OK.
My house has been 30%-35% this week and it is only going to get worse.
With my electric guitars I never worried about it, but I did notice tuning issues during season changes.
For my acoustics they will stay in the cases with the Humidipacks.
Taylor 414CE-R
Martin GPCRSGT
Squier Classic Vibe Strat and Tele
Old 11-27-2017, 10:10 AM

I can get my guitar room to 40%. I can't imagine getting the house to 40% as I would have condensation on the windows!
Old 01-06-2018, 08:37 AM

I just got my humidipaks 4 days ago and the first 2 nights I kept my guitar in the case with them but it maxed out at 35%. It seemed strange that it wasn't going up after a full 48 hours, so I thought maybe the guitar was really dry and absorbing all of the moisture. I decided to take my guitar out and see if the the RH would go up. Next day, it went up and hung around 35-37%.

Last night I kept my guitar out again (don't worry, it's in a room with a humidifier), and put a damp paper towel in the case along with the humidipaks to try and get it up to an acceptable level. Over night it's gone up to 40%. The paper towel was still really damp, but I soaked it again and put it back just for good measure. Once it hits 45% I'll try taking out the paper towel and putting my guitar back in there to see if the humidipaks maintain the 40-45% I want.

Overall, it's not what I expected. I thought in such a confined space, it wouldn't take much to bump the RH up a few points and keep it there. I guess I was wrong though, but hopefully once I get my case to 45%, the humidipaks will do the rest.
Old 01-06-2018, 08:45 AM

I use the humidipaks all year around even though summer is not a problem. Your case should be at proper humidity before putting the packs in. The packs keep my guitars at 35-50 all year. I change them about twice a year, which can be expensive, but the cost is worth it.
2009 SCGC 1929 00-17, Hog/Hog
2006 Andrew White F Model, cedar/maple
2008 Andrew White E Model, Cedar/Zir
2013 Martin Ambertone 000-18GE
2011 Brentrup GC6, Adi/Oak
2012 Huss and Dalton OM, Sitka/Chechen
2013 Martin custom 0028, Adi/MR
2015 ARK New ERA, OM Adi.MR
Turnstone TG, Oak,
Old 01-06-2018, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edbuff View Post
I use the humidipaks all year around even though summer is not a problem. Your case should be at proper humidity before putting the packs in. The packs keep my guitars at 35-50 all year. I change them about twice a year, which can be expensive, but the cost is worth it.
Sometimes I put a soundhole sponge humidifier in 1st, I think this is what most people suggest, but even if not, the humidipacks get it to a decent level fast, I think it just uses them up faster and they are not that cheap.
Taylor 414CE-R
Martin GPCRSGT
Old 01-06-2018, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yell03 View Post
Sometimes I put a soundhole sponge humidifier in 1st, I think this is what most people suggest, but even if not, the humidipacks get it to a decent level fast.
How fast do the humidipaks alone get it to a decent level, in your experience? Mine was not budging even a little from 35% for 2 days straight
Old 01-06-2018, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazump View Post
I just got my humidipaks 4 days ago and the first 2 nights I kept my guitar in the case with them but it maxed out at 35%. It seemed strange that it wasn't going up after a full 48 hours, so I thought maybe the guitar was really dry and absorbing all of the moisture. I decided to take my guitar out and see if the the RH would go up. Next day, it went up and hung around 35-37%.

Last night I kept my guitar out again (don't worry, it's in a room with a humidifier), and put a damp paper towel in the case along with the humidipaks to try and get it up to an acceptable level. Over night it's gone up to 40%. The paper towel was still really damp, but I soaked it again and put it back just for good measure. Once it hits 45% I'll try taking out the paper towel and putting my guitar back in there to see if the humidipaks maintain the 40-45% I want.

Overall, it's not what I expected. I thought in such a confined space, it wouldn't take much to bump the RH up a few points and keep it there. I guess I was wrong though, but hopefully once I get my case to 45%, the humidipaks will do the rest.
The humidipaks start at 57%. Unless they're old I guess. Don't forget that you're humidifying the case as well as the guitar which may take some time to stabilize. But I'd still think it would read higher in the case.
Old 01-06-2018, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
The humidipaks start at 57%. Unless they're old I guess. Don't forget that you're humidifying the case as well as the guitar which may take some time to stabilize. But I'd still think it would read higher in the case.
Yeah, I was thinking about that, too. It is pretty dry here right now, and I bought the case on craigslist, so no clue how the original owner kept it. It could have been in a garage for all I know! Hopefully my damp paper towel treatment will fast track the case to the proper levels!
Old 01-06-2018, 09:36 AM

If it makes you feel any better, humidity in my house is usually between 19 - 23 (which I don't recommend if it makes you nervous). I have 20 guitars on stands - solid and laminated. Been that for about a year and I see no problems. However, if I had a $3000 guitar I would probably do something different.
Old 01-06-2018, 10:08 AM

Quote:
How fast do the humidipaks alone get it to a decent level, in your experience? Mine was not budging even a little from 35% for 2 days straight
My house is at 10% right now.

Within 1 hour of putting the Humidipacks in it was up to 31%.

I still don't like it that low, so I put in the Soundhole Humidifier, once it is up to 40-45% I will take that out and just use the Humidipacks.

My Martin with just Humidipacks is at 37%.
Taylor 414CE-R
Martin GPCRSGT
Old 01-06-2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yell03 View Post
My house is at 10% right now.

Within 1 hour of putting the Humidipacks in it was up to 31%.

I still don't like it that low, so I put in the Soundhole Humidifier, once it is up to 40-45% I will take that out and just use the Humidipacks.

My Martin with just Humidipacks is at 37%.
What did the RH start at in your case? Surely not 10%!? I really don't understand why my humidipaks are taking days and days of acclimation...

I just looked again and my case went back down to 39% (down from 40%)... I took out my humidifier from my case, and am doing the salt test right now.

I know heat and humidity aren't directly correlated, but if I have that dampened towel in my case and it's cold, is it ever going to evaporate and create a more humid environment? If I put my case into a room that's warmer, it may evaporate quicker, but then again, it's warm because the heating is on so the RH in the room is lower... lol
Old 01-06-2018, 10:21 AM

Quote:
What did the RH start at in your case? Surely not 10%!? I really don't understand why my humidipaks are taking days and days of acclimation...

I just looked again and my case went back down to 39% (down from 40%)... I took out my humidifier from my case, and am doing the salt test right now.

I know heat and humidity aren't directly correlated, but if I have that dampened towel in my case and it's cold, is it ever going to evaporate and create a more humid environment? If I put my case into a room that's warmer, it may evaporate quicker, but then again, it's warm because the heating is on so the RH in the room is lower... lol
I am not sure, but they are easy to use and surely better than not doing anything.
Taylor 414CE-R
Martin GPCRSGT
Old 01-07-2018, 02:23 PM

Quote:

All of a sudden the humidipaks started doing their job, it seems. The case got to 45% and the humidipaks got a bit more firm, as expected. Hopefully things are a bit more leveled out now and it won't fluctuate so much.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion