The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-28-2017, 11:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
This is my criticism of almost every demo I hear for acoustic guitar amps that are meant for live play. I've never heard a good demo of an amp here where someone is getting a full 3 dimensional sound out of an acoustic guitar amp when strumming. And Maury's music demo (where the playing is fine), points out how compressed the sound of the Rossette really is. Next to the Schertler Jam 400, to me, it sounds like a toy. And next to a good small PA cab and mixer it's limitations become painfully obvious. I was one of he first ones to test the Rosette extensively and I shot it out directly against everything they had it the store, and my Jam 200 and 400. And my opinion still hasn't changed, it's limited in what it can do and for the money, especially with the upped price, it's no contest, their are much better options for a grab and go system.

For example, one PRX710 (a very highly rated JBL powered speaker), and a Bose T1 mixer can be bought for $824 shipped to your door (see links which I have no affiliation with). That gives you about $500 watts (Actual RMS ratings as opposed to what JBL states in their promotional material), and a 4 channel mixer that is phenomenal in all regards, with true 48volt phantom, killer EQ, and more FX than you'll need. And for $400 more you can expand it with another matching cab. Another thing is the JBL cabinet weighs in at 30 lbs with a very easy to carry design with the handle on top of the JBL, and pole mount on the bottom. Another plus is that the T1 mixer fits right into the small little cutout in the top of the JBL speaker! So in my opinion the JBL/Bose rig slays the Mesa in every regard, as in power, flexibility, and coverage. I used this actual rig last night at a show and I was amazed at the volume that the little JBL throws out along with a low end that destroys the Mesa.

Now let me be clear, for the fingerstylist who just wants a decent clean sound for fingerpicking or light strumming to fill a very small venue or is just a bedroom/house player the Rossette would be just fine, but's that's a lot of money that can be better spent for the player looking to actually gig with something!!!

http://www.proaudiostar.com/jbl-prx7...SABEgIi0_D_BwE

https://www.google.com/search?q=Bose...hrome&ie=UTF-8
1. I agree there are better "Grab and Go" acoustic amps that give a more full range pleasing acoustic sound. I've tried the Rosette a couple times and I cannot dial in the rich, full complete acoustic tone I like.

2. I felt I capture some fairly honest acoustic amp recordings from a live show I played through my Fishman Loudbox Performer. Not to hijack the thread, but I could not get a Rosette to deliver this kind of sound.

Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 11-28-2017, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
1. I agree there are better "Grab and Go" acoustic amps that give a more full range pleasing acoustic sound. I've tried the Rosette a couple times and I cannot dial in the rich, full complete acoustic tone I like.

2. I felt I capture some fairly honest acoustic amp recordings from a live show I played through my Fishman Loudbox Performer. Not to hijack the thread, but I could not get a Rosette to deliver this kind of sound.

Yes that sounds more natural to me than the Rosette.
Old 11-28-2017, 03:26 PM

I picked up a Rosette about a month ago and am very happy with it. I use it for acoustic guitar, banjo, and even a little upright bass.

I think one adjustment coming from the few other acoustic amps I've owned, is that the Rosette is pretty mid heavy. I noticed mesa put out a "quick setup" video recently in which they advise cutting the mids substantially, and that seems to be good advice, especially for a lot of acoustic guitar pickups that already over-emphasize the midrange. That's probably what's causing the dobro-like sound.

Here's a link to the video I'm talking about: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIKuJytv3cs

It doesn't sound compressed to me, but I think it is definitely a bit of a different animal than many other acoustic amps, which tend to scoop out the midrange even with the EQ set flat.

If I've got time I might sit down and do a recording, just for additional comparison.
Old 11-29-2017, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmorgan View Post
I picked up a Rosette about a month ago and am very happy with it. I use it for acoustic guitar, banjo, and even a little upright bass.

I think one adjustment coming from the few other acoustic amps I've owned, is that the Rosette is pretty mid heavy. I noticed mesa put out a "quick setup" video recently in which they advise cutting the mids substantially, and that seems to be good advice, especially for a lot of acoustic guitar pickups that already over-emphasize the midrange. That's probably what's causing the dobro-like sound.

It doesn't sound compressed to me, but I think it is definitely a bit of a different animal than many other acoustic amps, which tend to scoop out the midrange even with the EQ set flat.
Yes exactly. It seems to me that every time I try a
different acoustic amplification technology . The
first step is always to dial out that midrange.
All the overtones and quackyness are located here.
This is what I am always trying to get rid of without
Making it mud. The proverbial smiley face on a graphic eq.
So why supply an amp with this complex range of adjustment only to have to almost compleatly
turn it off to achieve a decent acoustic tone. I am no engineer ( no really I am no engineer)but It would seem
someone could voice a speaker/s so if one wanted to ..the mudrange adjustment
Could be used to add clarity.

Last edited by varmonter; 11-29-2017 at 09:05 AM.
Old 11-29-2017, 09:03 AM

Quote:

Yes yes that is more "acoustic" than anything I have heard out of the rosette.
Nice job too. And this amp is about 400 less than the rosette.

Last edited by varmonter; 11-29-2017 at 09:10 AM.
Old 11-29-2017, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
Making it mud. The proverbial smiley face on a graphic eq.
So why supply an amp with this complex range of adjustment only to have to almost compleatly
turn it off to achieve a decent sound. I am no engineer ( no really I am no engineer)but It would seem
someone could voice a speaker/s so if one wanted to ..the mudrange adjustment
Could be used to add clarity.
This is typical Mesa, the amp either sounds like a angry hornet's nest or with all EQ adjustments make it overly complicated for the avg plug and play guy, of course my experience is from electric guitars with Mesa, but by the looks of the amp I'd say they have the same engineers for the acoustic line plus the cabinet looks like an older Mesa ,
I've never been impressed with Mesa for the music I play and that would be triple for acoustic
Old 11-29-2017, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
Making it mud.
Everyone hears tone and EQ differently, but even in my crude video you can tell there is no quack. That indicates a good impedance match between the K&K Pure Mini and the Rosette's 1 ohm input jack.

If you always have to address quack with every new acoustic amp ... why is your choice of pickup not suspicious as a potential cause of an impedance mismatch?
Old 11-30-2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggg View Post
Everyone hears tone and EQ differently, but even in my crude video you can tell there is no quack. That indicates a good impedance match between the K&K Pure Mini and the Rosette's 1 ohm input jack.

If you always have to address quack with every new acoustic amp ... why is your choice of pickup not suspicious as a potential cause of an impedance mismatch?
Sorry I didn't write that well. I don't generally
deal with quack. As I use either the pure mini
or a mag pup (sunrise or m80) I have a felix
Preamp so input impedance is no issue.
My point is that with most equipment that an acoustic
guitar is plugged into the mids have to be dialed
Back. You may boost bass or treble or maybe not
But the mids are generally dialed back. You find
The offending tone frequency and cut it below unity.
Old 11-30-2017, 01:47 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:

These sound really good!
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast

Last edited by MaurysMusic; 02-07-2018 at 08:27 AM.
Old 11-30-2017, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaurysMusic View Post
These sounds really good!
The player has something to o with that too. Good job!
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 11-30-2017, 04:21 PM

Quote:
I agree that's a nice acoustic tone.

It's a mellow acoustic tone and approach.

I believe I already weighed in that the more you dig in, the more Rosette rewards you. I also mentioned not everyone likes to go there nor should they just cause I like to.

That sound wouldn't work at all for the guy who played like 4 instruments on his couch through a Rosette I mentioned a few posts ago (maybe it was the other concurrent Rosette thread?) cause it would be a little too well-behaved.

Different strokes for different folks.
Old 12-01-2017, 10:34 AM

Here's a quick living room Demo of the Rosette, just picking and strumming the first thing that came to mind. I set my portable recorder about a foot in front of the amp, so it's recording the sound coming from the speakers, not the internal electronics. No reverb or effects, just as is.

I'll also post a photo that shows the settings I'm using, basically what's in the Mesa quick setup video, cutting the mids, but also cutting the treble, and I've got the tweeter set on -6db on the back. It's the bottom channel in the photo, the top is set for my upright.

...well I couldn't figure out how to get the photo to show up, but here's a link to it: https://photos.app.goo.gl/B6M1LqzPVEW5Cquw2

Last edited by jimmorgan; 12-01-2017 at 10:45 AM.
Old 12-03-2017, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
The Rosette has a fine amount of low-end, but in comparison to the Schertler Jam 400, not so much, as the Jam 400 straddles the line between acoustic amp and PA speaker. The Jam 400 has 100 extra watts, but more importantly a bigger cabinet tuned to get the lows. I have a small porch board that I use with my Schertler that sounds great and the dominant frequency of that board is around 60hz, when I plugged it into the Rosette the speakers weren't capable of producing those lows, they just farted out. And in my show I use guitars tuned down in crazy open tunings that require a lot of low-end out of the speakers. Now I do some singer-songwriter type performances where I use my Schertler Jam 200 which has less wattage than the Rosette but I still feel has better voice reproduction qualities. But be sure I like the Rosette for what it is, especially the semi parametric EQ and adjustable reverb, it just doesn't fit my needs. And I spent enough time with it to know it doesn't. Hell, I was one of the first ones to try one out, and I even went back to the store a second time to make sure I tried it in all scenarios! And trust me, it's not my pickup or guitar, I'm even more anal about that stuff than I am amplifiers

The difference in Watts is meaningless...the number means nothing... sound quality and reliability matter... price and portability are second...

Infra red microphone switch, automatically turns your mic on and off, when you need it to...

www.optogateonline.com
Old 12-03-2017, 11:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks Maury. Baggs Anthem in Collings OM1A I believe.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 12-04-2017, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidl13 View Post
The difference in Watts is meaningless...the number means nothing... sound quality and reliability matter... price and portability are second...
Watts are meaningless???? Not to me, I do think if rated correctly, specifically in RMS at full frequency range, it's a baseline, but the amp needs to tick all my boxes when I pick what I'm going to spend big money on (over a thousand dollars), and the Schertler Jam 400 that I've been gigging with has better dispersion, better vocal tone, real 48 volt phantom power on all channels, much bigger low-end (compared directly to the Rosette), more channels, and for reliability my JAM 400 has at least 750 gigs on it without a blip. Funny thing, I paid for the Schertler with the first three gigs I did with it!!!! And the price is equal to that of the Rosette which has just been raised. How's that for real life comparison. If the Rosette was a better option for me I wouldn't waste 10 minutes, I'd buy it, I actually tested it directly against my Jam 400, and it came up way short for what I need my rigs to do. And just recently, Schertler introduced the "Roy" that added better EQ to the JAM 400, a standalone reverb with a Decay control, a separate FX buss with up to 800ms of delay, and adjustable output on the DI. Pretty much the wishlist, (when combined with the features the Jam 400 already had) for what I want in a self contained acoustic amp /PA. As I've said in the past, my only complaint about the Schertler Jam 400 is the 48 lb weight, which the Roy also weighs in at!

All that said, the right amp, is the one that fits your needs.

Last edited by rockabilly69; 12-04-2017 at 12:06 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification