The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-23-2013, 08:55 AM

Default Ovation 1117-4 vintage 1977

I have a copy of the subject guitar that I bought second hand as a starter acoustic guitar. Since that time, I recently purchased a Martin DSR for my main acoustic. The Ovation had no trade-in value at my GC shop, and it needs a fret replacement and a neck reset to make it valuable in the resale market. Currently with the $350 I have invested in it, is it smart to repair the Ovation or just retire it with dignity?
Opinions?
Old 05-23-2013, 01:10 PM

-GC will take just about anything (shockingly) and if they didn't want your Ovation....
-and as is, the repair work is worth more than the guitar,
-so you could repair the thing gradually and try to sell a playable guitar but you'll take a black eye anyway....

perhaps better posted on an dedicated forum of ovation owners?

good luck!

Last edited by arie; 05-23-2013 at 02:40 PM.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:18 AM

Default Factory repair

McLayton, I have sent my Ovation Balladeer back to the factory 3 times over the last 30 years and each time I was overwhelmed with the quality of the repair, how improved the guitar is each time and the minimal cost. Typical charges have been about $150. Every time it has played better than new. She is an old girl now and I don't take her out of the house much and I do not gig with her but it is only because of sentimental reasons I feel like I should protect her. The truth is she is ready to go and plays better and sounds better than most other guitars. Ovations are the most durable guitars in the world. Send your Ovation back to the factory you won't be disappointed and it will be like getting a brand new guitar.

Last edited by Manzie; 07-21-2013 at 09:25 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair