The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-13-2013, 12:51 PM

Question But my guitars fine, really...Just needs a string is all.

I give guitar lessons as a side job (for a meager $25 an hour), and do setups, minor repairs. I also change strings for free, so long as the person buys their own strings.

I encountered this today from a woman who's High E keeps breaking. She is convinced the guitar is fine and won't budge on her stance. I explained that perhaps the nut slot could use a looking at, since the string keeps breaking there. She has replaced only the high E and the rest of the strings are FACTORY, but she insists they are fine too.

How would you handle this? I'm ready to just tell her I can't give her lessons.
Old 07-13-2013, 01:26 PM

If all it needs is a couple of strokes with the nut file, I wouldn't charge for that. I do stuff like that all the time for free and it always brings more business later.

Now...changing strings for free is something I don't do.
Old 07-13-2013, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnjp View Post
If all it needs is a couple of strokes with the nut file, I wouldn't charge for that. I do stuff like that all the time for free and it always brings more business later.

Now...changing strings for free is something I don't do.
I'm more than happy to clean up the nut slots and change strings for free, so long as this person comes and pays for lessons. New saddles, setups and other things I would charge for. The problem is, she is adamant about the guitar being fine, while there is clearly something (likely a fix with a few passes of a file) that she is against me doing, since the guitar is only a few months old....

I can't seem to get this through to her. I won't do any repairs, even a nut slot without the customer's consent. I really can't afford to lose her, as I only have 3 students right now including her.
Old 07-13-2013, 01:45 PM

I guess I could just keep replacing the high E for her every time she comes for lessons... but I'd have to rethink my policy as far as charging. She is just very difficult to deal with regarding this issue, but otherwise polite and easy to deal with.
Old 07-13-2013, 02:12 PM

Sounds like she doesn't trust you know what you're talking about...maybe suggest she have a pro look at it to see why she keeps breaking strings. I wouldn't give up income from lessons over that. That would be throwing the proverbial baby out with the bathwater. I would charge her a couple of bucks to change the string and bump my price for lessons up. I don't know your market, but it sounds like you're too cheap.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:01 PM

Charge her a couple bucks extra for each lesson you have to change the string at....
Old 07-16-2013, 10:59 AM

Just wait 'til a string whacks the back of her hand when it breaks - then she'll be more willing to get it fixed.

I haven't been hit by a breaking string in about 40 years or so but I don't want to do it again. That hurts!

Patience prevails...

George
Old 07-16-2013, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustache79 View Post
I'm more than happy to clean up the nut slots and change strings for free, so long as this person comes and pays for lessons. New saddles, setups and other things I would charge for. The problem is, she is adamant about the guitar being fine, while there is clearly something (likely a fix with a few passes of a file) that she is against me doing, since the guitar is only a few months old....

I can't seem to get this through to her. I won't do any repairs, even a nut slot without the customer's consent. I really can't afford to lose her, as I only have 3 students right now including her.
i'd guess this is the problem here. she thinks that a new guitar wouldn't need fixing. just like a new car doesn't need a tune-up, or it's gasket replaced. the idea of having a mechanic tweak a new guitar's engine is raising some red flags for her.

perhaps if she understood that smoothing the nut slot is more akin to getting the driver's seat and steering wheel in the correct position for a new driver, or checking and adjusting the oil levels, she would see it differently.

i wouldn't really press the issue, however. at least not in the same way. just happily change her E string for her.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:16 AM

Just happens she's coming today for an hour lesson. I think I'll just give her the lesson, and if she comes in or comes back with a broken string I'll just tell politely I'll charge and extra $2 for each string I have to change, or $4 if I'm providing the string.

She trusts me, but she thinks because the guitar is "new" there can't possibly be anything wrong with it. Some people just have to learn the hard way I guess.

BTW, I'm only charging $25 because it brings in the students. Other places around here charge up to twice that, but the students I have can't afford it. I imagine if I were to charge more I would have zero students.

Off to do a fret level on a mandolin.

BTW... I'm looking for a decent on the go light weight tool box at least 24" long that will fit my straight edges and all my fret work tools, files, sandpaper, gauges, strings etc.. I've been buying a lot of tools lately as I'm making more money at work

Suggestions? I'm looking to spend under $40.

Thanks
Old 07-16-2013, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post
i'd guess this is the problem here. she thinks that a new guitar wouldn't need fixing. just like a new car doesn't need a tune-up, or it's gasket replaced. the idea of having a mechanic tweak a new guitar's engine is raising some red flags for her.

perhaps if she understood that smoothing the nut slot is more akin to getting the driver's seat and steering wheel in the correct position for a new driver, or checking and adjusting the oil levels, she would see it differently.

i wouldn't really press the issue, however. at least not in the same way. just happily change her E string for her.
I like that analogy. I might use it when she comes in today, if the issue presents itself. Thanks

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair