The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-10-2014, 07:19 PM

Default A Guitar CAN Truly Become Easier to Play

Okay, about a week ago, I briefly mentioned in a thread that I was contemplating changing to PB Lights on my Martin D35. I was saying the guitar was stiff, hard to play with the fretting hand, and I attributed that all to the strings.

Anyway, 2 to 3 weeks later, I'm still playing that D35 and its just such a joy to play with the PB mediums. My intention was to play the heck out of the D35 so I could slap some PB lights on when the strings expired.

Now, I'm on the fence again, whether to keep putting mediums on the thing. But I am afraid, the next cycle I have, when I again pick up the D35, it will feel hard to play.

What is it that now makes the D35 a joy to play ? I can't believe its neck profile ? Is it the opening up ? How can I account the action to seem mysteriously to seem to have improved ? Has it actually been climate change that has caused this to happen ? We've gone from about 40% humidity to 15%, but I do keep the guitar in the case when I'm not playing.

I'm a bit perplexed,

H
Old 06-10-2014, 07:33 PM

A reduction in humidity levels will result in the top dropping down a bit from the swelling that took place. The action will be lower now and easier, ( most of the time ) to play. When the level rises quickly again you will probably notice a rise in the tuning as well, up to half a step or more.

Last edited by GHS; 06-10-2014 at 07:35 PM. Reason: more info
Old 06-10-2014, 07:38 PM

It could all be in your head... Seriously.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecguitar44 View Post
It could all be in your head... Seriously.
yep , I'm definitely thinking that may be the case, thanks GHS for responding with your input , I KNOW action changes with humidity , but i always forget which way it goes.

Maybe its a combination of both , it wouldn't be the first time that my perception has changed , once exposed to the change of condition for a long period of time. I may have just gotten used to the stiffness and difficulty of playing.

Its amazing how you acclimate with the guitar , and how the guitar acclimates to you.

I'll probably slap on another set of PB mediums when these strings go.

H
Old 06-10-2014, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHS View Post
A reduction in humidity levels will result in the top dropping down a bit from the swelling that took place. The action will be lower now and easier, ( most of the time ) to play. When the level rises quickly again you will probably notice a rise in the tuning as well, up to half a step or more.
What he said. I live 1 mile from the ocean. The humidity can be a pain. My tuning goes sharp or flat depending on the swings in the humidity.

Last summer was extremely humid and I had to shave down a new saddle just so my guitar was playable. Once winter came and the humidity lowered I was able to put the old, taller saddle back in.

2015 Epi B.B. King Lucille
Life is Good!
Old 06-10-2014, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonics101 View Post
yep , I'm definitely thinking that may be the case, thanks GHS for responding with your input , I KNOW action changes with humidity , but i always forget which way it goes.

Maybe its a combination of both , it wouldn't be the first time that my perception has changed , once exposed to the change of condition for a long period of time. I may have just gotten used to the stiffness and difficulty of playing.

Its amazing how you acclimate with the guitar , and how the guitar acclimates to you.

I'll probably slap on another set of PB mediums when these strings go.

H
Yeah...sometimes I have good/bad days where the guitar feels really great...or like it's fighting me.

Although, it could also be any number of real phenomena mentioned before (humidity, etc.). Maybe someone detuned the whole guitar a semitone?

I'd vote that you just try out the lights. Strings are only a couple bucks, no reason to worry too much about it. You can always change back if you're unhappy with the results.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:52 PM

I might still go to PB Lights, just to see how the D35 plays. That D35 hasn't seen anything but PB Mediums, so I'm sort of sensitive about the demotion tongue in cheek here, once i switch a guitar over to Lights, its never come back to Mediums. Not that I'm fickle or anything but I try to keep my guitars on Mediums if possible, not sure why.

But yeah, its just a string variety change, but its strange, some of my guitars seem to have Jekyll and Hyde personalities, while others don't.

My Gibsons are rock solid stable and don't seem to fluctuate during the seasons, my Martins ? They seem to be more prone to changes, maybe because of the lighter build ?

H

You've got a point on the good days and bad days and the guitar fighting you , so in essence , it truly is all in your mind at that point

Electric guitar players never have these sort of problems - eh ?

Last edited by harmonics101; 06-10-2014 at 08:58 PM.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:24 PM

You have been playing a lot more you say. Could be you have built up strength while also toughening up your fingers which is a big contributor to playing comfort.

Also familiarity with they characteristics of that neck/ guitar creates good muscle memory so that your hands do what is needed consistently.

Never surprises me as if I don't play a certain guitar for a while I lose something.

You might also consider a good professional set up paying particular attention at the nut.

I prefer mediums but the D-35 has 1/4" braces so might still be reasonably responsive with lights. No harm trying .
Martin '11 D Mahogany (FSC) Golden Era type
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
Yamaha '72 G-170A (Japanese solid top)
Garcia '67 Model 3
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden
Old 06-10-2014, 09:30 PM

Hey CKE , relatively speaking , I may have indeed built up additional strength to make playing more comfortable. When I first saw your comments on this , I sort of dismissed them out of hand , I have been playing for quite some time , so thinking that gaining strength in playing would not be possible.

BUT, gaining strength in the fretting hand MAY INDEED be a fluctuating attribute, just like muscle atrophy , you don't use it , you lose it. So maybe my left hand gained strength to do harder play.

I have many guitars, some play with minimal strength in the left hand , others a bit more effort.

Any one else think that hand strength could come and go ? Meaning, one gets used to the amount of effort to play with the left hand based on the setup ?

H
Old 06-10-2014, 09:32 PM

It funny how different players are. I hate mediums and all my guitars are on lights or extra lights. When I got my GS Mini with mediums it threw me for a loop at first but now I am used to it. I still have a pack of elixir PB lights for its next shange though to give it a try. I dislike playing anything bigger than lights.

I would definitely give lights a go just to see. My good buddy who I jam with from time to time was playing my 810 the other day and he was commenting how easy it was to play and how he wished his GS7 played as easy. I was asked if he was still running with mediums, because my 810 has extra lights and really low action. He changed over to extra lights and he said it was a whole new guitar and played so much easier. He is a pretty good player and he was having trouble with the more complicated stuff since he got that guitar, now it's no problem.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:40 PM

44Runner , I am almost there !! Putting PB Lights on the D35 , and I am afraid , i may never go back. There's not a Martin in my fold that suffered from degradation of tone to switching over.

Currently, I've got D18VS : D18 : D21 Special on Lights, I've got two HD28V guitars and D28 Red Spruce on mediums. All my Gibsons sport PB Lights.

One thing I notice, since I've got a bit quicker with the left hand, that PB Lights are a bit faster than mediums are, as far as riffs are concerned. That's not that big a factor though, since I am riff challenged anyway.

I'm really looking forward to slapping on some PB Lights on my D35 , I think you guys (as well as myself) have talked me into this

H

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion