The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-02-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublro View Post
nope, I've played a bunch of seagulls over the years and the 1.8 is really 1.8 - definitely wider than the typical 1.75
Not mine...My S6 Original has the exact same 1.75" nut width as my Larrivée and Martin 1.75" nuts according to my calipers. I also had an S6 Coastline Spruce with the same nut width.

A few Canadian and American Guitars
Old 10-02-2012, 02:02 PM

Larry ... I totally agree that the string spacing is the same on a Seagull as on most any other 1.75 inch nut guitar and only the actual width of the nut and fingerboard are wider on a Seagull.

Not sure how some folks are measuring their Seagulls and getting a 1.75 inch nut width, but I trust that they are doing it accurately and that they know what is true for their particular guitars.

All of the three different Seagull dreadnoughts I've owned have had a 1.8 inch (46mm as you say) nut width.

Certainly nut width (actual width of the fingerboard at the nut) and string spacing (distance between the "E" strings) are two different things and this may be confusing the issue.

Finally, I am one who does indeed have a problem with pushing the top "E" string over the edge unintentionally and the slight extra real estate on my Seagull is appreciated for that reason, even though the space between the strings themselves is no greater than on my 1.75 inch nut Martin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi B-ville...
The confusion comes from the fact they are built in a French speaking & metric measuring area, and the nut is actually 44mm or 46mm. They are not trying to be different.

The wider version of the nut is 46mm (listed in English as 1.8''), but the spacing is exactly the same as other manufacturer's 1.75'' nut guitars. While this provides a tiny amount of extra space on the outside edge of the fingerboard, it is not more finger space unless you normally have issues dragging the 1st string off the fingerboard.

Also, their 44mm (1.72'') fingerboards are spaced the same as 1¹¹/₁₆'' nuts. You could build the nut 2'' wide, but if the strings are only spaced to 1.75'' that is what really counts.

I like the Jumbo bodied versions when they are going to be amplified. I recently heard one of them with the high end Seagull pickup/mic Q systems, and it was fabulous through the PA.

I played that guitar later, and it was pretty similar to an S-6 acoustically.

Hear my original music at: https://www.reverbnation.com/judsonhair
Old 10-03-2012, 07:29 PM

Thanks everyone for the help.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calhoon View Post
Back to the gloss top in Coastline Gt. Looking on line and here it was mentioned how the matte finish scratches so easily. Does the Gloss top mitigate that somewhat, or does it scratch/ding just as easily? If it's purely cosmetic, than I wouldn't care.
I have the Maritime Cedar Gloss Top, which is an older model (c. 2007 or so) that Seagull has since discontinued. In researching my guitar, I found the following verbiage on Seagull's website and in an old catalogue. Granted, things may have changed a bit since then, but this should give you an idea as to their intent in making a gloss top: that the difference should be only aesthetic and should not hamper sound or performance.

Quote:
Genuine Lacquer Finish
Seagull guitars feature a genuine lacquer finish, a key characteristic of the best hand-crafted acoustic guitars. A lacquer finish protects the wood without reducing the top's vibration. Our semi-gloss finish
involves four coats of lacquer. The guitar is hand sanded between each coat. This process takes about four days to complete. Seagull high gloss models use eight coats of lacquer.
Quote:
Maritime Cedar Gloss
In addition to the new compound-curve bracing system, the Maritime Cedar Gloss features a Custom Polished finish and it’s about the same thickness as our semi-gloss treatment but buffed to a high luster. This is truly a great breakthrough in that the guitar has the added responsiveness provided by an extra light finish along with the great looks of high–gloss.

sleepy

"The road of life is rocky and you may stumble too. So while you point your finger, someone else is judging you." --Bob Marley

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion