The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-20-2016, 05:26 PM

Default Baggs Lyric - recorded sound example

I recently recorded a video with a Baggs Lyric installed in my pseudo Martin D35S then through a Baggs PARA DI with minimal EQing. The cardioid pattern of the vocal mic is pointed upwards 180 degrees off axis from the guitar to minimize guitar bleed on to the vocal track. I guesstimate the guitar on the video is around 75% Lyric 25% mic.

I'm curious to hear your opinions about the guitar sound. Here's the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jqbGcejWJU

Mike
Old 06-20-2016, 05:36 PM

I will respond not as a recording guru or even hobbyist, but as a former Lyric owner. (I still own it but don't use it anymore.)

I would be happy if I was recording direct and that's my result. However, I would think about lowering the presence screw on the Lyric a bit. The trebles are too brittle for my taste. If you indeed have the presence screw turned up quite a bit you would be better served to turn that screw more midway and do the fine EQing on your PARA DI. You will end up with a better result.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 06-20-2016, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancebo View Post
I will respond not as a recording guru or even hobbyist, but as a former Lyric owner. (I still own it but don't use it anymore.)

I would be happy if I was recording direct and that's my result. However, I would think about lowering the presence screw on the Lyric a bit. The trebles are too brittle for my taste. If you indeed have the presence screw turned up quite a bit you would be better served to turn that screw more midway and do the fine EQing on your PARA DI. You will end up with a better result.
Thanks. I'll listen with that in mind and factor it into my next recording. I did spend quite a bit of time with presence screw trying to match the sound to my Rode NT1 - but I likely overshot - I just checked and the presence is up at least two thirds of the way.
Old 06-21-2016, 09:15 AM

Hi Mike. Sounds pretty good to me although I agree with ST that it's a bit too bright. But maybe that's the way the guitar actually sounds. It's perfectly acceptable though. I like the guitar sound on 'Our Fine Romance' better.

Nice songs. Well done.
Old 06-21-2016, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenL View Post
Hi Mike. Sounds pretty good to me although I agree with ST that it's a bit too bright. But maybe that's the way the guitar actually sounds. It's perfectly acceptable though. I like the guitar sound on 'Our Fine Romance' better.

Nice songs. Well done.
Thank you Steven for the kind words on the songs.

Micing worked well on the OM guitar in the older videos. I tried micing the slope dread Martin in the new video but I couldn't tame the low end - it sounded boomy and muddled and lacking in high-end - so I switched to the Lyric and had a much easier time. Sound for sound, the OM guitar (cedar top) lacks the high end sparkle that the Martin has in spades so I virtually never go to the OM any more. I'll definitely try dialing down the presence next recording. Thanks for weighing in.
Old 06-21-2016, 03:17 PM

In my search for good amplified sound, I've abandoned the idea that a recording from a DI or Pre-amp can help. The Lyrics I had in my guitars sounded fantastic when recorded directly. And they sounded darn good at bedroom volumes through my Schertler Unico. But when I really turned up the volume and went over to a PA through a mixer, I decided that the Lyric was too finicky.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification