The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-18-2016, 08:49 AM

Default Keeps sounding better

A lot of posters sing the praises of their AER, Schertler, Fender, Carvin, Whatever amps. And that's great. One should do enough research before they spend their hard earned money to feel justified and happy with what they've purchased. Disappointment is, well......disappointing....and expensive.
Last year I did a lot of research before purchasing a new amp. My wife knows and sometimes jokes about how anal I can be about researching products before I buy them. I used a variety of criteria in my final decision and chose a Marshall AS50D. When I finally got it, I plugged in and was pleased with the sound, but I didn't jump and click my heels and do cartwheels of joy. I don't tend to do that about any material object I own because they are after all just material objects.

For some reason the past two weeks I've been playing through that amp more than previous. And for some reason it just seems to keep sounding better and better. Almost addictive so that I don't want to just play acoustically. I play all my acoustics first without for the first couple songs, then plug in and the sound plugged in is so natural sounding to my ear. When I first got the amp I noticed slightly more hiss than I was expecting, but not so much as to be a deal breaker. Over time that hiss is getting less and less.
Through trial and error I've learned to balance the best settings on the amp and my guitar preamp to put the sound at a place that grabs me. How wonderful when you get something you like to begin with and it gets better.

The only thing I can live without is playing my Gretsch electric through it. It sounds o.k., but just o.k.

I'm seriously considering a 2nd AS50D to play through both for an even fuller, richer sound and some stereo effects. But I fear I might be pressing my luck and the second amp won't sound nearly as good as the first.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification