The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-09-2016, 03:49 AM

Default Radial PZ-DI vs Baggs Para DI

Howdy folks,

I own a Baggs Para DI. I have two Taylor acoustic guitars with the ES-T and one mandolin with a K&K Mandolin Twin in it. I might add a Rare Earth to my banjo in the future (or something else, but the Fishman most likely). I know there's an impedance mismatch with the K&K and the Para DI. Is it worth swappig the Para DI for the PZ-DI?

I realize for some instruments, the J48 or the PZ-Pre is a better option, but getting both is not an option since I also need a Pro D2 for my digital piano. However, the J48 can also be used for electric guitar and bass guitar, which I use in the studio a lot.

Cheers.

CZ
Old 06-09-2016, 04:33 AM

Isn't the ParaDI a preamp with a balanced output?

The Pz-DI is essentially a DI with a few extra features that are really good for any instrument with a pickup but should not be confused with a full blown preamp. It has a sweep low cut knob and a fixed high cut switch as well as a three-stage impedance switch, meaning you can optimise the DI's Input for the kind of pickups you have. I have tried one with my guitars as well as live with visiting artists and this feature alone makes it an indispensable part of our equipment setup.

If you are planning on getting a DI for you setup then in my opinion the Pz-DI is an even better choice than the J48, which is already excellent of course.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 06-09-2016, 07:20 AM
Charter Member

I have used both and find the PZ much more versatile with multiple instrument setups. Sweep-able mids and the impedance switch are worth the price of admission. It worked well with the K&K in my mandolin, the Schatten in my National Tricone and the Baggs M1 in my Larivee OM.

When I had my Taylor I found that as long as I used the proper cable I never needed a preamp or DI.

I've switched to the Fishman Platinum Pro for now though and after a little more stage time with this setup I'm leaning towards sticking with it. I use it with an aura 16 imaging pedal and have several images for each of my instruments loaded. The PZ is a great Swiss Army knife and I'll hang onto it for the great tool that it is.
National Polychrome Tricone
National Model D Squareneck
Weber Gallatin A Mandolin

http://www.bandmix.com/jon-nilsen/
https://www.bandmix.com/limberlost/
Old 06-09-2016, 01:27 PM

Thanks folks, I'm really leaning towards the PZ-DI and it seems like it could work well with electric guitar and bass as well if needed.
Old 06-11-2016, 02:06 AM

Rumblefish is possibly referring to the preamps I think, either the Pz-pre or Pz-deluxe. The Pz-DI is a box, same size as the J48 but with a few additional features particularly tailored for acoustic instruments (though it will be great with bass and electric guitar too).

Personally I think the Pz-pre (the preamp) is more versatile than the ParaDI. The Pz-DI (direct box) is even more versatile for your needs than the J48 DI. I have direct experience of all of the above apart from the ParaDI.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 06-11-2016, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieterh View Post
Personally I think the Pz-pre (the preamp) is more versatile than the ParaDI. The Pz-DI (direct box) is even more versatile for your needs than the J48 DI. I have direct experience of all of the above apart from the ParaDI.
Pieterh has given me good advice in the past as I was (and still am) learning about preamps and DIs. I agree with his above comment.
Old 06-11-2016, 04:03 PM

Thanks man

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 06-16-2016, 12:55 PM

I bought a PZ-DI last week on a reccomendarion from pieterh.

I used it at a gig in a noisey bar Saturday night and have been messing about with it this week, running my different pickups through it.

I'm really pleased with it. The low cut is really effective. Didn't need to use the hi-cut. All my pickups sound better run through this box.

I had a Stagebug SB-1 and was planning to upgrade to a J48 until pieterh reccomendarion trying a PZ-DI.

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Old 06-22-2016, 12:31 PM

Tried the PZ-DI with my mandolin today. It has a K&K Mandolin Twin in it which doesn't pair well with the Para DI. I had the impedance set to 10Mohm, low cut dialed up and off I went. I'm selling the Para DI.

I got a ProD2 today for my digital piano and I'm really pleased.
Old 06-22-2016, 07:42 PM

I know you have the PZ-DI and it's a great little preamp/DI. My only complaint was that it generated a bit more hiss in the signal that I am used to. I am a big Radial fan but it wasn't 100% quiet. I a/b'd it with my Aura spectrum DI and the Spectrum had about half of the hiss of the PZ-DI. The hiss isn't terrible on the PZ-DI, it's just higher than I would like.
Old 06-26-2016, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick84 View Post
I bought a PZ-DI last week on a reccomendarion from pieterh.

I used it at a gig in a noisey bar Saturday night and have been messing about with it this week, running my different pickups through it.

I'm really pleased with it. The low cut is really effective. Didn't need to use the hi-cut. All my pickups sound better run through this box.

I had a Stagebug SB-1 and was planning to upgrade to a J48 until pieterh reccomendarion trying a PZ-DI.
Glad it worked out for you!

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 07-01-2016, 05:54 PM

I was gonna say I'll post a comparison with my mandolin pickup of the Para DI and the PZ-DI, but I've only just ordered the PZ-DI and the Para DI is about to be shipped to its new owner.

I might make a new review though, like I did with the Para DI. Maybe some of you have seen it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification