The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-20-2016, 03:26 PM

Default Need advice on Preamp vs. EQ vs. Effects Pedals

I have been reading all the recent preamp threads about controlling your tone and didn’t want to hijack. I am new to this so please forgive the basic questions.

I can’t dial in the sound I am looking for playing my Yamaha SLG200N through my Roland AC-33. The Roland has basic treble, mid, bass control. I’m not crazy about the reverb.

So here are the questions that come to mind.

Is there one pedal you can recommend that gives you EQ and reverb? I would like to use the simplest solution and use one pedal if possible.

Do I need to get a different amp? I have read good things here about the Carvin AG200 and the Roland AC-60. That would be the simplest solution; no pedals.

The Carvin sounds great on the demo, but I know from reading here, you can’t trust internet recordings since they may enhance the sound with the recording gear.
Carvin Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wmCGpuC-Kk

Is a preamp helpful to me? The guitar does have a preamp. Can you connect another preamp to a guitar that already has one? But I haven’t seen any preamps that include reverb effects.

Okay, somebody please ring the bell and start the class!
Old 06-20-2016, 04:09 PM

There are some multi-effect processors that some people use with acoustic guitars successfully, but most of them are geared for electric guitars. Not only does your guitar have a preamp, but your amp has one, also, as does a PA mixer. It is possible to go preamp-preamp-preamp, and many people do it but it's important to understand something called 'gain staging.' The truth is that if you plug into just about any pedal you're passing through another form of preamp. If your amp has an effects loop that may be a good place for a parametric eq.
Old 06-20-2016, 05:45 PM
Charter Member

Hi Mike,

First let me say that I have no experience with the Yamaha 'silent' guitar or the Roland 33 although I have heard people saying good things about the Roland. I'm going to say that the reason you can't get the good tone you're looking for is the guitar because it's not a 'real' acoustic.

I could be totally wrong about this but I'm basing this opinion on my experience with a Taylor T5 hybrid guitar that I had. I struggled mightily to get a decent acoustic tone out it. I used all kinds of pedals and effects, different amps, you name it, I tried it. I had a fairly decent tone but not the acoustic tone I was looking for.

Then I borrowed a buddy's Martin 000-28EC and BOOM! - instant acoustic tone to die for with NO effects. Now I'm assuming it's an acoustic tone you're looking for since the Roland I believe is an acoustic amp. So my advice is before you embark on a long, dark, and expensive (albeit fun) journey to turn your Yamy into an acoustic through dark magic, try a real acoustic through your Roland and see what that sounds like. It doesn't need to be a high end one, just a decent acoustic with electronics. Borrow a buddies or take your amp to a store and try some acoustics through it.

Does your Emerald have a pickup? How does that sound? I had an X20 that sounded great and yes I do consider a CF guitar to be a real acoustic. When I say 'real' acoustic, I mean a guitar with a large, hollow body be it wood or CF.

Even with a real acoustic I've spent a lot of time and money chasing better and better tone though pedals and only just recently found that I can do more than well enough with much less. In fact, that reason I came to this sub-forum tonight was to start a thread about just that. And because you mentioned it, the amp I'm going to talk about is a Carvin AG200. So check that out in a bit.

Good luck and keep us posted on how you make out, what you tried, what worked, what didn't.
Old 06-20-2016, 06:06 PM

Thanks Methos,

That's a very logical approach.

I'll look forward to your thread on the Carvin.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification