The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-17-2016, 01:37 PM
Charter Member

Default Aura VT Enhance/Martin OMC-18E Audition

Today, I got to audition a Martin with the new Aura VT Enhance pickup/preamp system in a factory-fresh Martin OMC-18E. This 2016 guitar, with the first plus 2,xxx,xxx serial number I've seen this year, came into my favorite shop just yesterday and, after the shop's setup, I was the first customer to audition the guitar. First, I played the guitar acoustically to hear its tone as a baseline to judge its amplified sound. I found its acoustic tone nice and rich for a guitar this size. Next, I plugged into a Bose L1 Mode II T1, and then a Fishman Loubox Mini, with EQ adjusted flat on both the guitar and amps. Initially, I turned-off the Enhance and adjusted the Aura/Matrix portion of the system and achieved a really good and balanced tone. As I blended-in the Enhance bridgeplate transducer, I noticed the amplified tone taking on more mid-range and treble character with all EQ still set flat resulting in an overall tone that got louder and more in my face. I came to the conclusion that if a player is going to use this system, it should be adjusted for both EQ and loudness after the two pickups are set for the desired blend of each. Also, as the Enhance bridgeplate transducer was blended-in, just as you'd expect, I could hear the top and body vibrations entering the mix.

I like the new Martin Aura VT Enhance system and its tone definitely reminded me of Taylor's new Expression System 2 in that string, top, and body vibration are picked up and amplified. I can see myself buying an Aura VT Enhance Martin in the future. If I did, I'd likely get the now available Martin GPC-18E or, if and when it becomes available, a Martin D-18E.

Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 06-17-2016 at 03:53 PM.
Old 06-18-2016, 07:44 AM
Charter Member

Would anyone who has played an Aura VT Enhance-equipped Martin care to add their impressions of this new pickup/preamp system? The guitar I played was the first one I've encountered, in person, so Martin Aura VT Enhance-equipped guitars may still be scarce in stores.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification