The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-22-2017, 03:44 PM

Default Drivers License laws

For many years I have advocated for driving ability tests for those over 65. I am approaching 61 and have an 86 year old mother. Her driving ability is deteriorating every year. I have seen her turn into the wrong lane making a left onto a 4 lane road, jump a curb turning right into her own driveway, and other wince-producing stunts. She does not perceive there is a problem (or will not admit it due to the inevitable loss of being able to live independently).

What do you think about requiring those over 65 to come in every 3 years to pass a driving ability test like we all had to get a license to begin with?

I would be willing to do that to keep some unsafe drivers off the road.

She is going to feel terrible if she hurts or kills someone with that big Lincoln Town Car.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 03-22-2017, 03:51 PM

Did your driving test really duplicate all road conditions and dealing with other drivers? Mine didn't.

The best controls are family involvement and increasing insurance rates if there are many accidents.

Of the times I've almost been killed in a car, it was mostly middle age truck drivers. Test them.
Old 03-22-2017, 03:51 PM
Charter Member

I think there should be mandatory re-testing for everyone of all ages, every 2 years. And the tests should be RIGOROUS.

Another chance to weed out the dangerous drivers.

If they fail, give them a restricted license to go to school/work/etc. while they retake driver's ed and get retested.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 03-22-2017, 03:55 PM
Charter Member

My old Dad grew up in the motor trade. Cars, lorries (trucks) were his life. I used to watch him driving in his sleep!

At about 70 I could see some signs of dementia but knew nothing about it back then.

One day he called me over and said "I've decided to stop driving. I want you to take my car and give it to ....your sister!"

Hmph!

I never found out what made him come to his decision, but I respected him for it.

Nanny Jane's Mum did much the same, but she was somewhat older.

It must be a difficult decision, for someone (most of us) for whom driving is convenience, comfort and personal freedom.
Old 03-22-2017, 04:01 PM

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/topics/t/ge...Age-and-gender

Interesting facts there. The 20-24 and the 85+ age groups have the worst stats.
~Bob
Old 03-22-2017, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
I think there should be mandatory re-testing for everyone of all ages, every 2 years. And the tests should be RIGOROUS.

Another chance to weed out the dangerous drivers.

If they fail, give them a restricted license to go to school/work/etc. while they retake driver's ed and get retested.
Sounds like a common sense approach. Of course, we need to remember that "common sense laws" is a code phrase, meaning "in an adversarial position with an entity that has deep pockets, and is unlikely to pass in the next several decades".
Old 03-22-2017, 04:18 PM

I agree with the OP. However, this is a country that has never invested seriously in public transport, so if you take away someone's driving rights, in many cases you're taking away their mobility.
Old 03-22-2017, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
Did your driving test really duplicate all road conditions and dealing with other drivers? Mine didn't.

I've taken two driving tests. One in the US and one in the UK.

US ( Pennsylvania):
Three one hour driving lessons then a 10 minute test in what was little more than a parking lot. Drive between some cones, reverse round a corner. Stop at a stop sign. Pass.

I was then apparently qualified to drive on public roads including a manual ( stick shift) which I had never driven before.

Some years later, and after not having driven for several years.

UK:

Twenty hour long driving lessons.Written driving theory test including computer based hazard perception test. 30 minute test on public roads. Failed first time, passed second time.
Old 03-22-2017, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyghthawk View Post
What do you think about requiring those over 65 to come in every 3 years to pass a driving ability test like we all had to get a license to begin with?
Yes. I have felt this way my entire life. Now that I am middle age I continue to hold the same opinion. What the arbitrary age limits and frequency/intensity of testing should be can be up for debate.
But to not make any attempt to protect the public from the impairment of aging is ridiculous imo.
However, if you check the voting demographics in my state you will see that it will never come to pass.
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A
Old 03-22-2017, 06:29 PM

After retiring from the police dept. I went to work for several years with the State Police in their driver's testing branch. I can tell you there should absolutely be re-testing. I used to give the tests when someone got a notice to retest via a ticket or a family member requesting it. As harsh as it sounds, there are some who just need to hang up their spurs and put the car keys away. Sure, it's inconvenient, but not as inconvenient as it is to other families who have to bury loved ones because of an innocent mistake..... not to mention the family of the elderly person who causes an injury or death to themselves or others. And yes, I would really be for retesting everyone every 5 years. All it takes is a quick drive to see half the people on the road really have no clue as to traffic laws anymore....

Taylor 514ce FLTD, Sitka/Tasmanian Blackwood from Ted at LA Guitar Sales
Taylor 618e 1st Edition, Sitka/maple (2015)
Taylor 814ce, Sitka/Rosewood (2014)
Taylor 526ce, all Mahogany (2014)
Baby Taylor, mahogany (2014)
Taylor 210ce (2014) (on consignment)
PRS S2 Custom semi-hollow body
Fender Blacktop Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro 120th
Gibson SG Classic 120th
Old 03-22-2017, 06:38 PM
Charter Member

I think we fail from age related stuff more quickly the older we get,

And on that basis I propose an increasingly more frequent scheduled test if driver capability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 03-22-2017, 07:05 PM
Charter Member

The reason we don't test is because some "people" have decided that it is discriminatory and ageist to test people based on their age.

Sooooo......we'd rather have accidents, injuries and deaths that hurt someone's feelings.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 03-22-2017, 07:19 PM

Speaking as an insurance agent, yes there should be mandatory testing done beginning at some point. 65 likely too soon, maybe 75 or 80 at the latest.

I have more than 1 octogenarian paying $4000+ yearly for car insurance as they simply keep piling one accident surcharge on top of another, so getting drivers like that off the road would be a public safety service.

Losing your license is losing your independence, and obviously why the elderly resist it so much.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:30 PM
Charter Member

Not a chance. Driving tests are totally subjective and depend on the whim of the tester. Moreover, based on the stunts I've seen from drivers of any age, it seems that singling out the social security set will do little to improve safety on the roads. It's the kind of thing that makes people hate government. Finally, 65 ain't what it used to be and is pretty young to require testing every three years.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:36 PM
Charter Member

On of the hardest thing I ever had to do was take away my moms car keys. She was declining fast and was not aware of her deterioration. But I feel taking away her keys saved lives, hers and others. I agree with the OP
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic