The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-21-2017, 05:42 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Default Comcast Buisness contact question

We live remote. It took 10 years and a hard working salesman to get us Comcast buisness. No lines were near by so they had to go to some expense to hook us up. We signed a three year contract including a router rental. Service has had its moments but over all satisfied. Our contract is up. 1. We want to buy a router. I have a son that is a pro gamer computer junky he knows what he wants. Calling them tomorrow to discuss options.
Just as a card to hold, do I have to stick with Comcast? Is the line they ran theirs or usable by othe companies?
Old 03-21-2017, 09:33 PM

My girlfriend lives in the boonies. All she can get is very slow sat dish internet.
You should be able to go online and do a search of internet providers by zip code.
That should also give you their phone numbers to ask them this question.
I am interested in what you find.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchen Guitars View Post
We live remote. It took 10 years and a hard working salesman to get us Comcast buisness. No lines were near by so they had to go to some expense to hook us up. We signed a three year contract including a router rental. Service has had its moments but over all satisfied. Our contract is up. 1. We want to buy a router. I have a son that is a pro gamer computer junky he knows what he wants. Calling them tomorrow to discuss options.
Just as a card to hold, do I have to stick with Comcast? Is the line they ran theirs or usable by othe companies?
Pretty much any router will work with any ISP, unless you have something special like a direct fiber line into your house (unlikely). Depending on your physical connection, you will likely need a modem in addition to a router, and potentially a wireless access point to get wi-fi in your house. Modem, router and wireless access are three separate functions and can be done with 3 devices. Sometimes two (router and wireless AP in one, modem on its own). Sometimes one (all three functions in one device). I don't recommend going all in one. A router-wi-fi AP combo is fine for most uses.

Renting a router from them is a huge profit center for them--it costs them $40 wholesale (if that), and renting them to you for $10 a month for 3 years = $320 gross profit for them.

Re. whether you have to stay with Comcast, it depends what kind of physical connection they set up for you. If it's cable (like coax) to their cable or fiber distribution box, it's their lines and usually another ISP can't use them. But there may be other options, like ADSL or FIOS. Find out from the local utilities (e.g. I used to get my internet from the municipal power company), major phone companies (e.g. Verizon, Bell, AT&T) or cable TV companies (Charter, etc) that serve your area if they offer internet plans available for your house.

If Comcast is the only physical connection between your house and the internet, you may be stuck with them. There are an increasing number of wireless providers (no physical connection to your house, just an antenna) but I don't know if those are available where you are.

Last edited by rogthefrog; 03-21-2017 at 10:06 PM.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:12 AM

I would check the contract. It should be covered.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic