The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 03-10-2017, 05:36 PM

Default Blindfold improvisation

Hi guys!

I made some time ago a video*about composing without thinking keys or chord and scale relations (Keyless-thinking). After posting that lesson to Finnish forum I was told that for example Barney Kessel and Rauol Björkenheim are used to practise blindfolded. It sounded interesting So I decided to try this method too. Like in ”Keyless Thinking” also in this experiment I tried to find new ways to dig deeper into my musical self. In this example everything was improvised eyes wide shut. Here are some thoughts that this method brought to my mind.
1.*After I was more used to the idea of playing blindfolded I really felt that I could concentrate more in making actual music. There was no visual distraction from surroundings and also from fingers and guitar. In some parts I forgot guitar and fretboard and ”saw” just darkness or random pictures.
2.*At first I was afraid of mistakes that occurs in fret position changes. But after a while I felt more comfortable about it

3.*It was very interesting to see my self from video after playing. Normally I stay still and concentrate a lot in watching my fingers while playing. Now when it was impossible I seemed to be moving a lot with the music. It was suprising to me. It seems that I delved into a more comprehensive creating music. Also this time it might be that I didn’t pay so much attention how things look to outside. I have read that moving while playing activates the body’s muscles and that way prevent injuries. I think that it might also help playing to be more natural and attached to different musical expressions.*
My conclusion from this experimentation is that I might loose some of the most bravest jumps on fretboard but connection between my guitar and my musical thinking with this method is more closer and honest. So maybe I will continue with this. 

Do you have experiences with this method?

Cheers, Mikko

[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktbbmcEReCY[/VIDEO]

Old 03-10-2017, 05:58 PM

Cool I need to try that I'm like so A.D.D Ooo look a quarter !! ahhhhh crud take 1,000 lol
Maybe that might help only issue , I have no theory nor scale memorization I'm lucky I write what I do lol trying it blind folded might be beneficial .
Thanks for sharing

Ps , take blindfold off before getting up or setting down guitar ! Hahaha

-----------
Acoustics,
Ben Wilborn Gloria
Breedlove Ed Gerhard signature master class jumbo
Blueridge BR180A
Blueridge BR 283A
Blueridge BR180-12
Guild F212XLCE
Guild CV-1
Guild CO-2CE
Recording king RO-328
-----------

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell