The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-18-2013, 05:16 PM

Question 2005 Taylor NS64-ce - Pickup Static with Fishman Prefix PROBlend

I just bought a used (new to me) 2005 Taylor NS64-ce (Nylon/Crossover). It arrived via UPS today and is in IMMACULATE condition, cannot find a single scratch on it, but I have a concern with the pickup. When on 100% "SBT" it sounds OK, but if it is 99% SBT and just 1% on "Pickup", then I get major static/hum. the static/hum is more noticable at 100% Pickup of course.

Here's a YouTube video that has both no-blend settings recorded, same riff.
http://youtu.be/qsYFKqcsagc

Is this normal behavior? My older NS44ce does not do this, but then again that is a slightly different pickup system. If this is not normal, then is there an easy fix for this? I have already tried swapping cables, but same behavior. I really do not want to return it, as it is a very hard guitar to find now.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:16 PM

UPDATE: If I keep my finger touching the metal end of the cable that plugs into my guitar or that goes into my recording device then the hum stops. As soon as I let go, it comes back. It happens with any cable I use.

What does this indicate about the pickup? And if it is bad, can I just replace the end pickup jack and be home free, or do I have to replace all the electronics/preamp hardware?
Old 06-20-2013, 09:01 AM

UPDATE: The seller (guitar shop) offered to fix the issue by putting in new Fishman electronics, but using the same model since I like the sound produced by the Fishman Prefix PROBlend pickup. I just had to pay shipping back, they'll fix it at their cost, then ship back also at their cost.

The guitar sounded AMAZING acoustically, so I definitely prefer this solution than trying to find a different NS64ce. They were selling the guitar for a private owner who never played it plugged in, so he honestly didn't know the problem existed. Honest mistake,but the guitar store is really falling on their sword to make me happy, which I appreciate.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:12 AM

Suggest you contact Fishman Customer Service. I'll pretty much guarantee that the problem lies with the fit of the saddle in the bridge, not making enough contact on the UST pickup element that's sitting under the saddle.

The call or email to Fishman might save you from having to return the guitar to the dealer...
Old 06-20-2013, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Side Man View Post
Suggest you contact Fishman Customer Service. I'll pretty much guarantee that the problem lies with the fit of the saddle in the bridge, not making enough contact on the UST pickup element that's sitting under the saddle.

The call or email to Fishman might save you from having to return the guitar to the dealer...
We talked about that option, but I do not have a guitar shop here that I trust, nor do I trust myself with this kind of guitar's repair. If the guitar were $500 or less, then I'd probably try to figure it out myself, but I don't want to chance it with this one. Plus, they are paying for it. For me it is a win, win as I can live without it for 10 days.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:38 AM

Good luck!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
buzz, fishman, hum, prefix, static