The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-15-2008, 01:00 PM

Default R Taylor Style 2 Pictures!!!

I just got it from a very "inside source" That a certain san diego guitar shop will be posting pictures of the style 2 and the style 1 12 string on their website today! I can already feel the gas coming on!

Commissioned
Doerr Legacy Select African Blackwood/ Swiss (2011)
Old 01-15-2008, 01:24 PM

Would that possibly be Buffalo Brother?
Old 01-15-2008, 01:42 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

Matt, here.
If you are really going to embrace GAS, you might as well open up your eyes to the fact that there are MANY world class builders out there...not just Taylor;

http://www.13thfret.com/luthiers.shtml

Take a deep breath.
Avoid the urge to buy/trade for every Taylor that pops up on your radar.
Spend a week or so visiting all the web sites linked.
Take a moment to play some of these other builders guitars.
In the case of most of the custom builders, this will probably be very very hard to do.....unless you visit a shop that carries small builders or a guitar festival like Newport or Healdsburg.
Other builders, like Martin, Larrivee, Gibson shouldn't be hard to come across.
Semi-large builders like Collings, Goodall, SCGC also may be easier to find.

I like spaghetti.
I COULD spend all my food allowance on it, but there is LOTS more out there to eat.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,
Old 01-15-2008, 02:10 PM

Default Matts looking for the perfect Taylor!

Jeff,

I agree there's many great builders out there but Matt obviously likes Taylor, no loves Taylor.

After playing and owning more guitars than I care to remember including top quality mass produced models from Taylor (and Martin), medium-sized builders like Collings/Santa Cruz, small shops like Lowden, and finally individual luthiers such as Olson, I've come to the conclusion...

Taylor make very good, sometimes great instruments. R Taylor instruments rival the very best from any maker large or small - if mine is indicative of general output.

Trying (and buying) every model from one good maker is just a different way of finding your perfect guitar. One's idea of perfection has an awkward habit of changing though.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:18 PM
There is none like you.

man there is alot of builders i didnt know how many there were this link is very helpfull thank you
Old 01-15-2008, 02:20 PM

OMG!!!! Maybe later, I will walk over there or ride my bike and actually strum one for you and give a complete review!!

I could ya'know!

Sammy
Old 01-15-2008, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikpearson View Post
Jeff,

I agree there's many great builders out there but Matt obviously likes Taylor, no loves Taylor.

After playing and owning more guitars than I care to remember including top quality mass produced models from Taylor (and Martin), medium-sized builders like Collings/Santa Cruz, small shops like Lowden, and finally individual luthiers such as Olson, I've come to the conclusion...

Taylor make very good, sometimes great instruments. R Taylor instruments rival the very best from any maker large or small - if mine is indicative of general output.

Trying (and buying) every model from one good maker is just a different way of finding your perfect guitar. One's idea of perfection has an awkward habit of changing though.
Actually, I doubt Matt has much experience playing anything other than Taylor.

Nothing wrong at all with Taylor...but there ARE other brands out there to experience.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

Norman Maclean,
Old 01-15-2008, 03:02 PM

So where are the pictures? This thread title mentions pictures but I see none, nor do I see a link?

Guitars

Martin Custom 000
Kopp Roy Smeck

Mandolins
'03 Gibson A5L
Old 01-15-2008, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff M View Post
Actually, I doubt Matt has much experience playing anything other than Taylor.

Nothing wrong at all with Taylor...but there ARE other brands out there to experience.
Untrue Jeff... I have had 4 Larrivee about a dozen Martins and I have had a chance to play 2 Olsons, They are all great guitars, I just prefer Taylors...

Commissioned
Old 01-15-2008, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJohnPaul View Post
Untrue Jeff... I have had 4 Larrivee about a dozen Martins and I have had a chance to play 2 Olsons, They are all great guitars, I just prefer Taylors...
So much in such a short time!!

Well, sounds like you know what you like then.
Carry on.

Henry Van Dyke

Norman Maclean,
Old 01-15-2008, 04:00 PM

It doesn't necessarily follow that if one loves Taylors, one hasn't tried other guitars. I played Santa Cruz guitars, Dana Bourgeois guitars, Goodalls, Lowdens, Larrivees, Martins, Gibsons, and Guilds before finding Taylor. In fact I had gone to a music store intending to buy a Santa Cruz but walked out with a Taylor which I hadn't heard of before. Since acquiring my first Taylor, I've tried Froggy Bottom guitars, Morris guitars, one Olson, Mcknights, McGills, Everetts and many others and I'm still happiest with my Taylors.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
It doesn't necessarily follow that if one loves Taylors, one hasn't tried other guitars. I played Santa Cruz guitars, Dana Bourgeois guitars, Goodalls, Lowdens, Larrivees, Martins, Gibsons, and Guilds before finding Taylor. In fact I had gone to a music store intending to buy a Santa Cruz but walked out with a Taylor which I hadn't heard of before. Since acquiring my first Taylor, I've tried Froggy Bottom guitars, Morris guitars, one Olson, Mcknights, McGills, Everetts and many others and I'm still happiest with my Taylors.
Yeah, but Herb, your not trading your guitars off every week either. You are satisfied with your Taylors. Not that there is a problem with changing and or switching, but it doesnt exactly show satisfaction when you change guitars more than strings, I can see Jeff M's point.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vti814ce View Post
Yeah, but Herb, your not trading them off every week either. You are satisfied with your Taylors. Not that there is a problem with that, but it doesnt exactly show satisfaction when you change guitars more than strings, I can see Jeff M's point.
Hey Im keeping the GSBAe
I thought you were my friend Sammy...

Commissioned
Old 01-15-2008, 04:12 PM

its all good. guitars are like cars. some people feel the corvette is the best sportscar while others feel differently. its just a love for something that grabs your soul. if you're happy with taylors, martins, olsons, whatever, stick with 'em. you are the one that has to live with yourself.

peace.

"Accept your lot, whatever it may be, in ultimate humbleness. Accept in humbleness what you are, not as grounds for regret but as a living challenge."
Old 01-15-2008, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJohnPaul View Post
Hey Im keeping the GSBAe
I thought you were my friend Sammy...
Hey now......... you know its never personal! I love Everyone Babes!
We are friends!! I offered to ride my mtn. bike down to B. Brothers for you!

Im just saying MJP, from an outsider standpoint listening, with all the trading and moments of ahhh haaa, it does seem to make sense that you would be well served to try something else at buffet table! Or not, I love my Taylors too!

Sammy

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion