The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-09-2017, 05:18 PM

Default Cargo String Experiment

Relatively new to my Cargo and like to experiment with strings so I got to thinking about my experience with Martin Monel Retros on other guitars.
I liked them on some but not so much on others but I always liked their relatively soft feel. So I invested the $7 and put on the Tony Rice heaviest gauge set thinking I could get away with it since the scale is so short. I was right.
They are loud, full and easy playing. Only had them on since yesterday and will be interested in if the sound matures after a few days or weeks, although they are very good right now.
They also look pretty cool and my Carbon Burst.
Old 03-09-2017, 06:53 PM

What gauge are the strings you put on? Still as easy to fret? Glad to see you have decided to hold on to your cargo for now. I had a cargo a few years ago that I sold, am kind of regretting it now.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:44 PM

Excellent thread Dryfly, the Cargo is especially sensitive to string changes so a fun one to experiment with. I currently have three Cargos, one wears standard Elixir lights, the second is strung with Martin Lifespans, also 12's, and the third, which has become my favorite has been strung up with Silk & Steel.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:22 AM

You guys got to try out Ernie Ball Everlast. Doesn't flake, and boy really loud does it sound. Give the 12s set a try. You will not regret. Lifespan is as long as the elixirs.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:18 AM
Charter Member

which do you like between the Elixirs and the Martins? I usually use D'Addario EXP 16s on most of my guitars curious how they would sound too. Just had my new/ used Cargo repaired and the guy put on Martins Lifespans which sound pretty good although I believe they are a 52 low E rather than the 53 that I usually have with the EXPs. Is one or the other best for finger picking as opposed to strumming or flat picking?

I had an LR Baggs Element installed as the other pickup that came with it wasn't working. BTW t guy I bought the guitar from suggested getting a Joyo EQ box and it really makes a big difference with the pickup.
Martin John Mayer Limited Edition OM-28 JM/2003
Martin J12-40E 12 string
Martin M36/1978
Danny Ferrington Baritone
Danny Ferrington Parlor Guitar
1990 Roy Nobel Brazilian Dreadnought
Cordoba C10 Classical Crossover
Collings SJ Maple

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber