The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-27-2008, 07:05 PM

Default So I stopped by Guitar Center yesterday...

There are three Guitar Centers within 40 minutes of me and this one I had never been in because it's a little out of my way. I had to stop by the local Jet Tools dealer to pickup some stuff and it's right near there so I figured I could afford a few minutes to look around... ended up wasting about 45 minutes drooling over stuff I can't justify buying yet...

Anyway, they had a pretty good selection and most of them seemed to be setup pretty good. It's the first time I ever saw a Taylor DN4e and they had a DN3 that I could play it back to back against as well as a GS5 and a few others. I also played around with a Martin DSM, D-28 and a used HD-28 as well as a Gibson Songwriter.

I have to say that for the price, I really liked the DN3 but if I was looking to spend some more serious cash (not that bumping 4 digits isn't serious cash...) the HD-28 was the best sounding in the room with the D-28 and DN4e reasonably close seconds/thirds.

The Gibson was nice but I wasn't comfortable on it for some reason that I can't figure out, I really wanted to like it but it wasn't a good fit for me I guess. As I get better my tastes will probably change some so maybe the Gibson will click better down the road. It might just be because I like the Dreadnought body shape best.

That said, I wouldn't turn down any of the ones I listed, (though the DSM had the sound I liked least, it seemed a little thin but that may be because I played it back to back with the D-28 ), but I think I'm at least a year or two worth of practice away from getting a higher end guitar.

So as of now I think I am saving my pennies for the D-28 or the DN4 (or DN5) without the electrics.

When you do research on guitars it's not GAS, it's setting a goal right?

-Jim
2009 Martin D-18
2011 Voyage-Air VAOM-02
2014 Martin CEO-7
2015 Gibson J-45
Old 12-27-2008, 07:12 PM

I'm with you on the HD-28 sounding the best of the bunch - I'm not surprised at all. I once played the daylights out of a Taylor DN3 at GC, and boy was I impressed with the nice sound from it. Very nicely made, at about a thousand bucks. I'm a Martin guy, but down the road if fortune smiles on me and I get my couple of Martins I want, I'll be looking around the Taylor section for another nice guitar, with a different sound.
Old 12-27-2008, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB1 View Post
I think I'm at least a year or two worth of practice away from getting a higher end guitar.

-Jim
Hi Jim,
If you ask me, all you need is 3 chords to justify a high end guitar. And just think how good it will be sounding after you've spent those 2 years breaking it in!

Martin HD28
Martin 000-17 custom
Atkin '0' Retrospective
Yamaha FG720S (6 & 12 strings)

"Any problem that can't be solved with a good guitar either isn't a problem, or is unsolvable"
Old 12-27-2008, 08:32 PM

JimB1, My advice would be - DON"T buy a high end guitar without visiting Mandolin Brothers on Staten Island. My geography isn't that great, but you can't be too far from it if you are in central NJ - and their cash prices on the guitars you are keen on are cheaper than GC's. Also for $50 they'll ship anything you buy to NJ so saving you the NY sales tax...and they have SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO many guitars you will be salivating all the time you're there...

There is also Maury's Music in PA, not too far from Nazareth, and they specialize in Martin's (and Blueridge's) but that may be further away from you. Again, Maury's can usually beat a GC price...

Also - you can negoiate with both these shops which you can no longer do with GC.

I also think you should get a high end guitar when you feel like it but don't wait till you can play Classical Gas flawlessly! I'm still a beginner, but I bought a high end Gibson last month. I have a beater to noodle and practice on but when I've learnt a song/progression/etc, I whip out the Gibson and play it on that and LOVE it...

Good luck...

Rc
Old 12-27-2008, 09:02 PM

Sounds like you had a nice outing.

For the record, the Gibson Songwriter is a dread.
PRS SE Custom 24
Old 12-27-2008, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edman View Post
Sounds like you had a nice outing.

For the record, the Gibson Songwriter is a dread.
It might have been a Songmaker Grand Concert, not really up on Gibson's, definitely wasn't a Dread though.

I just checked and Gibson's website says the songwriter is a 00 body however what they have for the songwriter is a Elvis Costello model so I'm not sure...

-Jim
2009 Martin D-18
2011 Voyage-Air VAOM-02
2014 Martin CEO-7
2015 Gibson J-45
Old 12-27-2008, 09:54 PM

Quote:
It might have been a Songmaker Grand Concert, not really up on Gibson's, definitely wasn't a Dread though.

I just checked and Gibson's website says the songwriter is a 00 body however what they have for the songwriter is a Elvis Costello model so I'm not sure...

-Jim
The Songwriter is called the Songwriter Deluxe. It's a square shoulder small dread. Much bigger than an 00.

You must have played something else. Make sure you check out the Songwriter Deluxe since you like dreads.

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Division...iter%20Deluxe/
PRS SE Custom 24

Last edited by edman; 12-27-2008 at 10:15 PM.
Old 12-27-2008, 10:25 PM

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbas...3/8/566338.jpg

Now I'm wondering what the heck model I played! This looks similar but what I played had a more ornate bridge like the SongWriter. Maybe it wasn't a Songmaker or a Songwriter...

Might have been this but I don't remember the wood. Price looks closer then the songmaker I have above...
http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbas...4/3/230143.jpg

I don't want to have to go back to look at this thing. Oh well, not like I'm going to buy anything anytime soon. The models will probably all change by the time I'm seriously looking. I really have to start writing the models I like down so I can build a list of winners.

I didn't see a Gibson Dread there so I'll have to keep an eye out for them... all in the name of research of course

-Jim
2009 Martin D-18
2011 Voyage-Air VAOM-02
2014 Martin CEO-7
2015 Gibson J-45
Old 12-28-2008, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcadian View Post
....Also - you can negoiate with both these shops which you can no longer do with GC.............

Rc
Partially true, while GC has changed in that you can't straight negotiate like before, they will still price match. You can't go in and say I want to pay precentage "X" but you can say I got this price from "store ABC" and they will match the price, been there done that (since the policy change).

HD-28's are great guitars, hope it works out for you.

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 12-28-2008, 09:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
...When you do research on guitars it's not GAS, it's setting a goal right?
-Jim
Hi Jim...
You said the right words, but I'm not sure you gave any sense of ''this is connected to my heart...''

If one is determined to buy a guitar and just any good playing one will do - that's pretty much like baby-smiles (GAS). It may also lead to selling/trading/buying more of them.

If one is truly doing research, he/she puts money in the bank and starts saving for the day he/she finds a guitar that begs to go home, and won't sell his/her soul short. Then when the real-deal is discovered, he/she has the money to bring it home.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-28-2008, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcadian View Post
Also - you can negoiate with both these shops which you can no longer do with GC.
You can negotiate at the GCs in the Philly area. They can look in their computer and see the absolute minimum price they can sell for and it is nearly always lower than the marked price.

You can't negotiate at GC is turning out to be a guitar urban legend. Stores that never negotiated in the past are doing it now.

Jim
Old 12-28-2008, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwsamuel View Post
You can negotiate at the GCs in the Philly area. They can look in their computer and see the absolute minimum price they can sell for and it is nearly always lower than the marked price.

You can't negotiate at GC is turning out to be a guitar urban legend. Stores that never negotiated in the past are doing it now.

Jim
We had a recent discussion about the new "no negotiating" policy at Guitar Center over on the Harmony Central Acoustic Guitar Forum. After comparing notes, it seems that the rule is not followed at the majority of Guitar Centers. In fact, several HCAG members negotiated excellent deals at Guitar Center over the past several weeks. I think Guitar Center management would like to curb the number of discounts at their stores but realize that it may be a bit unrealistic to do away with price negotiating during the current economic down-turn. I don't think any retailer can afford to turn away business at this point.
PRS SE Custom 24
Old 12-28-2008, 12:00 PM

Did the same thing a month ago, the Martin HD-28 was the best sound guitar there. I see some consistancy here.
Steve
Old 12-28-2008, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyAddison View Post
Partially true, while GC has changed in that you can't straight negotiate like before, they will still price match.
A couple of weeks ago, I went into the GC in Cherry Hill, NJ. They had a Martin I was interested in. I asked them if they could do anything better on the price. The guy went to the computer and said he could knock another $300 off the sticker. No price matching.

Just before Christmas, I was in the GC in Oxford Valley, Pa. looking at an Epiphone Dot. Salesman told me he could do better on the price if I was interested.

Jim
Old 12-28-2008, 12:45 PM

Cool wasting time??

hey jim,
never ever consider it wasting time. the more you play
of whatever guitar is one more for the memory bank. and i
second the mandolin brothers visit. if you can actually spend
most of one day out there you will be amazed whats out there.

The young man knows the rules, but the old man knows the exceptions. ~Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

"‎We all go Do, Re, Mi, but you've gotta find all the other notes yourself."
― Louis Armstrong

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion