The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-30-2016, 01:23 PM

Default There really is no easy way to add subs to your PA, is there?

Because we aren't really talking about a guitar amp, I thought this topic might belong here.

Right now, I have two Yamaha Club series mains (12" speakers + horn). As far as vocals and guitars, these things sound incredible! I couldn't be happier with them. To fill out the bottom end of the spectrum, I'd love to add a couple of subs because last year our band played several outdoor shows and I feel like we needed a little something more on the bottom end. We have one electric guitar, one acoustic, a bass player, and a drummer (I play drums.). I feel like we could really benefit from some subs. I'm not wanting anything bone rattling, but I would like something to fill out the bass guitar and kick drum.

I've been looking around at different options. I'm trying to find something that sounds good at a decent price and ones that aren't terribly heavy. It looks like the average weight of subs are right around 80 lbs. each. I'm looking more at passive subs than active due to weight issues because my back and I are already not talking to each other very nicely right now.

Any suggestions? What have you had good luck with that neither breaks the bank or your back?
Old 11-30-2016, 01:40 PM

Nothing I could find that was inexpensive when I was looking, so I gave up.
Sorry.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 11-30-2016, 02:07 PM
Charter Member

What about this:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Simmons/...#productDetail
I bought one for my Roland mesh head digital drum set, and with the 100 watts RMS 12" down firing sub and cabinet design it's really loud, and perfect for strengthening your kick drum sound.
Now that my guitarist son is away at college, I'm planning to sell my digital set, add triggers to my compact Sonor acoustic kit, and use it when I need a sound boost.
I can't remember ever listening to a live band in the last few years when the bass player's volume wasn't enough. Usually it's the reverse.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 11-30-2016, 02:14 PM

Not passive but 46 lbs... EV

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...ered-subwoofer
Old 11-30-2016, 02:16 PM

These are good suggestions, but I'm just not sure a 12" would be big enough...

I'm not sure if what I want actually exists.
Old 11-30-2016, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank4001 View Post
Would this be good for a kick drum though? I'm searching around seeing if a kick drum and a bass guitar would just blow these up.
Old 11-30-2016, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
Would this be good for a kick drum though? I'm searching around seeing if a kick drum and a bass guitar would just blow these up.
Not 100% sure but I would think so. Maybe lob in a call...
Old 11-30-2016, 03:01 PM

I have two of the 12" EVs. They're small and I can carry them pretty easily. If all you're wanting is to just fill out the bottom end a bit they'll do it. Pretty good punch for the size. I use mine with 2 RCF 312s. For small/medium clubs and for a smallish outdoor shows they'll do all I need. Kick drum isn't going to blow them unless you clip them out or something. But if you're needing more serious punch, I'd get a couple of the JBL 715XLF or maybe just one of the 718XLFs. The 715's are 56 lbs. as opposed to the EV's 46 lbs. The 718s are 81 lbs. but would really move some air.

http://www.proaudiostar.com/jbl-prx7...oEKgg#features

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...ency-subwoofer
Old 11-30-2016, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
Critical frequency for punch for the kick is generally accepted to be centered on 125hz. Certainly the kick will sound fuller when using a sub, but don't expect "impact" to be greater. Common crossover settings between subs and tops would be somewhere between 100hz and 80hz.

Bass should be enhanced a good bit and having the frequencies below the 100hz crossover point will take the load off of your tops making them do their job better and easier. But remember that reproducing LF content takes a good bit more power and output, especially outside. It's not cheap...nor light weight.

You'll want to Google "equal loudness" and do a little study to understand what you're up against.

Edit:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal-loudness_contour

Staying within the Club series for examples, a pair of SW115v's would be a starting point, but for "equal loudness" and operating your tops to their full capacity you'd want 4 of the subs, not 2. Outdoors no fewer than 4.

That's just the way it is. Physics can be a pain.

Theory is the post mortem of Music.

Last edited by Kerbie; 11-30-2016 at 09:52 PM. Reason: Removed masked profanity
Old 11-30-2016, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank4001 View Post

This is a good choice for the OP. An active sub is a lot simpler to connect and use than a passive sub, where you'd need a separate amp and crossover.

And a sub like the EV, with a heavy duty 12" speaker (EV makes first-rate speakers) can put out comparable volume to a budget sub with an 18" speaker, plus, the EV would sound punchier and less farty, too.

Another good choice would be the JBL 715xlf active sub. The JBL weighs 56lbs., and it will get the job done, no doubt about it.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...ncy-subwoofer?

Last edited by jomaynor; 11-30-2016 at 04:50 PM.
Old 11-30-2016, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomaynor View Post
This is a good choice for the OP. An active sub is a lot simpler to connect and use than a passive sub, where you'd need a separate amp and crossover.

And a sub like the EV, with a heavy duty 12" speaker (EV makes first-rate speakers) can put out comparable volume to a budget sub with an 18" speaker, plus, the EV would sound punchier and less farty, too.

Another good choice would be the JBL 715xlf active sub. The JBL weighs 56lbs., and it will get the job done, no doubt about it.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...ncy-subwoofer?
The JBL's would be better for sure, but you'd still need a pair for indoor use and two pair for comparable impact when used outdoors.

Old 11-30-2016, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyllys View Post
The JBL's would be better for sure, but you'd still need a pair for indoor use and two pair for comparable impact when used outdoors.

One would be a good place for the OP to start.

For outdoors, it's not a good business idea for a band to provide the sound at these type events. Sure, four or more single subs or 3 or 4 double subs is what you'd want there for a band, but it doesn't make sense for a band to spend that kind of money for the occasional outdoor gig - it's far better to hire a sound company for these larger events.
Old 11-30-2016, 06:45 PM

Quote:
One would be a good place for the OP to start.

For outdoors, it's not a good business idea for a band to provide the sound at these type events. Sure, four or more single subs or 3 or 4 double subs is what you'd want there for a band, but it doesn't make sense for a band to spend that kind of money for the occasional outdoor gig - it's far better to hire a sound company for these larger events.
Yes, you could start with one...IF you understand that it's just a start and don't expect it to yield performance to balance out the tops. Pushing it past its limits to try to achieve his stated level of performance is a good any to damage the single sub. So it's better to understand the limits as well as the advantages which is why I pointed out the equal loudness info as well as the fact that essential kick drum info lies above the crossover point between sub(s) and tops.

Good luck to all.

Old 11-30-2016, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyllys View Post
Yes, you could start with one...IF you understand that it's just a start and don't expect it to yield performance to balance out the tops. Pushing it past its limits to try to achieve his stated level of performance is a good any to damage the single sub. So it's better to understand the limits as well as the advantages which is why I pointed out the equal loudness info as well as the fact that essential kick drum info lies above the crossover point between sub(s) and tops.

Good luck to all.

I'm not sure if you are talking to me or the OP.
Old 11-30-2016, 08:42 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure if you are talking to me or the OP.
Both...and anyone else interested in the topic.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification