The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-06-2016, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TranceAudioInc View Post
Hi Jipiboi!

I saw your question about the Amulet M Phantom phase switch, and we've had a number of people asking lately about this particular feature, so lets talk a bit about the phase reverse switch, and what it can do for you...

A second use for a phase switch is to help reduce feedback in a tight or problematic monitoring situation. Sometimes, depending on how far away a monitor speaker is from your instrument, changing the phase of your signal can help reduce feedback. Our phase switch works very well for this, but since it's inside the preamp and inside the guitar, changing it on the fly for a problem gig can be almost impossible...
Thanks a lot for the reply, i was under the impression that you could easily use the phase switch on the Amulet, it's a shame it's not set up like that, i guess the same goes for the gain option? So, how am i supposed to set that up? remove the strings and move the internal phase/gain switch and then re-string and repeat? a little more info would be appreciate it. It's a shame though that even you mention that your switch is specially good for feedback problems yet is unusable live.

The mod on the phantom power supply sounds interesting but i'm really bad at that type of things so that's a no for me. that's actually one of the reasons i went with your new option...
Old 12-06-2016, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jipiboi View Post
Thanks! one question, I know i already bought it, but how good does it handle feedback? any tips with that? what type of music have you played live with the amulet?
The Trance Amulet systems have very good gain-before-feedback, probably third in line behind a magnetic pickup and a UST, and may be almost on par with a UST. My music is a solo-act mix of Folk, Singer-Songwriter, Irish, Rock 'n' Roll, Americana, and Country, and is aimed at entertaining folks. The music includes everything from aggressive strumming to fingerpicking and the Trance handles it all very well. Rest assured that by buying a Trance system, you're getting the best available system made. All that's left to be done after installation is to locate the Amulets to your tonal satisfaction and the recommended initial positioning may work well for you. Please feel free to ask me any questions about installation etc.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 12-06-2016, 09:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jipiboi View Post
Thanks a lot for the reply, i was under the impression that you could easily use the phase switch on the Amulet, it's a shame it's not set up like that, i guess the same goes for the gain option? So, how am i supposed to set that up? remove the strings and move the internal phase/gain switch and then re-string and repeat? a little more info would be appreciate it. It's a shame though that even you mention that your switch is specially good for feedback problems yet is unusable live.

The mod on the phantom power supply sounds interesting but i'm really bad at that type of things so that's a no for me. that's actually one of the reasons i went with your new option...
I think the new Phase Switch on the Amulet M systems is meant more for adjusting the phase of two separate onboard input sources so they sound their best.

I agree it would be nice if Trance could make an external overall system Phase Switch available on units. Perhaps, this could be done by designing a Phase Switch into the sound-hole module of an M-V or M-VT system?
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 12-06-2016, 10:28 AM
Charter Member

Default Rolls PB224 Dual Phantom Plus Phantom Power Supply

I just ordered a Rolls PB224 Dual Phantom Plus. This enables me to supply phantom-power to two devices, i.e., Trance Amulet Phantom M, and a vocal or instrument condenser mic. Also, along with its wall-wart power supply, the unit can use two 9-volt batteries for portable usage. The cost from Full Compass is $75 plus shipping. The phantom-power circuitry is identical to the PB23 but there are two such available circuits.

Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 12-06-2016, 11:01 AM

Hi Jipiboi!

The Phase Switch and the Gain Trimmer are both internal adjustments, and are typically set up at the end of your installation process, before you finish installing the preamp back inside the guitar.
You can find lots of information about this on the product page for the Amulet M Phantom.
It discusses both of these controls, and also has a picture showing their location inside the preamp.
http://www.tranceaudio.com/amuletmphantom.html

Check out our installation document...
http://tranceaudio.com/manuals/Tranc...ateInstall.pdf
...and you can see that we make the pickup leads long enough so that you can locate the preamp outside of your guitar by passing the long pickup leads through the endpin hole. This allows you to strum the instrument and listen to it through your system while you adjust the pickup balance trimmer, the overall gain trimmer to match your system (or another guitar) and the phase switch to work best for your needs.

Don't worry if you can't solder to perform the jack modification mentioned before. If you use the XLR to 1/4" jack adapter shown and mentioned on our phantom power info page...
http://www.tranceaudio.com/phantompower.html
...it works the same way. Plugging the cable in halfway (first click) gives you one phase, and plugging in all the way gives you the other phase. No soldering necessary!

If you've ever got any questions about installation or system operation don't hesitate to call us, and I would be happy to help in any way I can.

Also, howdy Sprucetop!

We've seriously considered adding a phase switch to the volume and tone board, but this won't be possible without a major redesign of the entire Amulet M electronics package, so it probably won't happen anytime soon for production models.
Old 12-06-2016, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TranceAudioInc View Post
Hi Jipiboi!

Don't worry if you can't solder to perform the jack modification mentioned before. If you use the XLR to 1/4" jack adapter shown and mentioned on our phantom power info page...
http://www.tranceaudio.com/phantompower.html
...it works the same way. Plugging the cable in halfway (first click) gives you one phase, and plugging in all the way gives you the other phase. No soldering necessary!

If you've ever got any questions about installation or system operation don't hesitate to call us, and I would be happy to help in any way I can.
Thanks for the reply! Can you explain how the phase works using the jack adapter? I'm not understanding exactly, where would i need to plug halfway or full to get the effect. On the PA?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
trance audio