The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 11-21-2016, 09:34 AM

Default Electric neck

Did I read somewhere on this forum that an electric guitar neck is easier to play than the acoustic?
2008 Ibanez "strat" style.
Old 11-21-2016, 10:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myvalk View Post
Did I read somewhere on this forum that an electric guitar neck is easier to play than the acoustic?
Lighter gauge strings. More frets to body. Tighter fretboard radii.

Yes, easier to fret and do most barre chords. Easier to play or not depends on what you are trying to play.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 11-21-2016, 11:13 AM

Between steel-string acoustic and electric, the neck is not necessarily significantly different in terms of playability. Some electrics are narrower or flatter in profile, some aren't. (Of course classical necks are a lot wider than electric, and flat.)
It's usually the lighter strings that's the most obvious reason electrics easier to play. Acoustic guitars tend to be fitted with 12s as standard, while on electric it's typically 10s or 9s. Thinner strings produce a thinner tone and less volume on acoustic, but on electric that's less of an issue because (obviously) it can be amplified, and the tone is largely governed by pickups and amps.

Last edited by JonPR; 11-21-2016 at 11:19 AM.
Old 11-21-2016, 12:14 PM

Excuse my dumbness, but. 12. Or. 10. Refers to the high E?
2008 Ibanez "strat" style.
Old 11-21-2016, 12:29 PM

"Electric neck" engenders visions of Boris Karloff as The Monster in Frankenstein with the bolts on either side for connecting the hi-voltage cables.

Theory is the post mortem of Music.
Old 11-22-2016, 06:04 AM

I as a string masher, find high action acoustic necks easier to play that low action electrics, less unintentional string bending, less buzz due to pressure more volume and you can give the strings all you got when it comes to pressure and they will still have the correct pitch.
Old 11-22-2016, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myvalk View Post
Excuse my dumbness, but. 12. Or. 10. Refers to the high E?
Yes. in 1000ths of an inch. It's quite common to refer to strings by the gauge of the 1st string.
Old 12-10-2016, 10:06 AM

Depending on the cross section, yes electric guitars are easier to play. For decades I used D size flat tops for finger style, but I began to have pain in my left hand and just could not handle them any more. I sold my old Gibson flat top and I hope some younger guitarist carries on with it.

I have a Kingpin, but these days I've gone to guitars with a Fender modern thin C shaped neck. I use 0.12s on both my Strat and Tele. In fact Martin Retro's work well on my Telecaster. Of course this takes some setup like truss rod, nut, saddle height and intonation, but this is not difficult to do at home on Fenders. The move to these solid bodies has me playing every night again.

Seasonally I move from my tube amp in the garage to my much quieter in the house solid state setup hooked up to the computer and old stereo during the winter.

I still consider myself a finger style player so I enjoy lurking on this web site even though I've gone to the dark side.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write