The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 11-15-2016, 07:42 PM

Default Fingers bad habit.

I'm having a hard time making my fingers perpendicular when doing barre chords. I've been playing for 3 months now and I haven't corrected this mistake. I'm getting frustrated. Any advice you can give me?

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk
Old 11-15-2016, 08:38 PM

The first point of importance is 'does it sound OK?'. If it sounds OK there is no need to worry about how your fingers look.

Looking at the picture, have you tried holding the guitar so that the neck points up at an angle of 45 degrees? This will put your hand in a better position. The closer you hand is to your shoulder, the better.
Old 11-15-2016, 09:11 PM
Charter Member

On your fingertip so you don't bump into adjacent strings. Thumb behind neck, palm away from neck. Just took these two pictures:

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 11-17-2016, 04:42 PM

please do no not let barre chords become such a hurdle that you will stop your progress...
hand arthritis prevents my playing of barre chords.
people seem to think that iam doing just fine?
Old 11-17-2016, 07:46 PM

That looks good for only three months in! Slowing playing speed down until I can get the fingering right on chords I find complicated always helps me.

Maybe try playing an E shape (but what would be an Am if played on frets 1 and 2) at frets 6 and 7, then add the barre finger at fret 5 to see if that helps. Then switch it up with an initial Em shape...add barre, etc.

If all else fails, if you have not already done so, try an in person lesson with someone who can help you with hand positioning and posture.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write