The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 11-13-2016, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyllys View Post
Kind of good guitar, but musically a bit weak. Probably worth the effort, though, as a starting point.

fugettaboutit
Old 11-14-2016, 12:05 PM

There's tons of stuff out there for fingerstyle instruction: Truefire, Mel Bay, Mark Hanson, Homespun, Candy Rats, Alfred, just to name a few. Hal Leonard has tons of videos and books besides the "Recorded Versions" stuff.
Old 11-16-2016, 09:22 PM

I highly recommend Truefire. There are a ton of fingerstyle lessons. You can get a free 30 day, all-access trial so it's easy to check out the different lessons.

Taylor 812ce 2016
Yamaha FS-730
Old 11-17-2016, 10:27 AM
Charter Member

Mark Hanson's Contemporary Travis Picking book/course followed by his Solo Fingerstyle book/course are well written and both have songs and exercises that sound good and are interesting to play. It's very structured so that if you work through the material in the order it is presented, you will get a very solid foundation.

My fingerstyle journey really started rolling when I decided to use his materials. I would recommend you consider the first book and once you master about 80% of it, you would be ready for a range of material from different sources including Homespun and Truefire if you preferred not to continue with Mark's material. I'm about 30% through Solo Fingerstyle but I am also supplementing it with starting the Tommy Emmanuel Fingerstyle Milestones Truefire course. TE IMO has no courses suitable for beginners as far as I can tell. You need to have a basic fingerstyle foundation like what Hansen's material can provide before taking on TE's material.

Hope this is helpful, good luck!
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 11-17-2016, 03:50 PM

I recently picked up Steve Krenz's fingerstyle dvd course. It's structured with basic skills to more advanced techniques and theory. All lesson concepts are applied to real songs and has suggested practice routines with guided practice videos. I think it's a great way to get started and see what to do if you're a visual learner. The books suggested in the thread would be good as well to cover ground where the dvds may not cover.

https://www.learnandmaster.com/spotl...rstyle-guitar/
Old 11-17-2016, 05:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
Mark Hanson's Contemporary Travis Picking book/course followed by his Solo Fingerstyle book/course are well written and both have songs and exercises that sound good and are interesting to play. It's very structured so that if you work through the material in the order it is presented, you will get a very solid foundation.

My fingerstyle journey really started rolling when I decided to use his materials. I would recommend you consider the first book and once you master about 80% of it, you would be ready for a range of material from different sources including Homespun and Truefire if you preferred not to continue with Mark's material. I'm about 30% through Solo Fingerstyle but I am also supplementing it with starting the Tommy Emmanuel Fingerstyle Milestones Truefire course. TE IMO has no courses suitable for beginners as far as I can tell. You need to have a basic fingerstyle foundation like what Hansen's material can provide before taking on TE's material.

Hope this is helpful, good luck!
That's good advice. I have both and TE's Breakthrough lesson also. I'm thinking about going back to Hanson's material now that I'm using a thumb pick. It'll be good to relearn his stuff, especially his songs from Author's Notes and Finger Style Wizard.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 11-17-2016, 07:08 PM

Thanks, everyone. Many helpful tips and leads here. That's why I 💕💕💕 this forum!

"We are music fingered by the gods." ~ Mark Nepo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write