The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 11-03-2016, 02:20 PM

Default Shopping on Christmas Eve chord progression?

I'm wrapping up the last few notes on some songs that I set out to learn. It's time to set some new goals!

Shopping on Christmas Eve - keb'mo

I can't seem to find any tabs or sheet music regarding this song. Anyone have the ear\time to pick out the chord progression\signature?

Any help would be appriciated, thank you!
Old 11-08-2016, 07:51 AM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SJtN2Qt66fQ

Maybe a link to stir discussion? Seems like the is some sort of interest put here based in thread views.
Old 12-07-2016, 03:45 AM

Bump!

If anyone has the time to give this song a listen and pick out the progression, I would be incredibly grateful.
Old 12-22-2016, 06:43 AM

Bump!

Is there a more appropriate sub forum for this thread? Or maybe I overstepped in some way asking for help while being so new to AGF?

Looking for help with this song and forum etiquette.

(I also tried other avenues and came up short, no luck with the transposition programs like chordify)
Old 12-22-2016, 09:46 AM

You are in the right forum room, and it is OK to ask for help even if you are new around here. It's not clear why this has gotten little or no response - it has certainly had a lot of views. Personally I don't spend much time on holiday music, because it is only appropriate between Thanksgiving and Christmas day (for me).

To me this sounds like a gussied up version of a 12-bar blues progression in the key of A, with some additional walk-downs and color chords thrown in. It also has a "quick 4" where it starts on the root chord (A) and moves to the four chord (D) on the second measure. That should give you some clues to work with. Otherwise, try working out the bass line -- the bass usually plays the root note of the chords.

On second look, he is playing A shapes on the sixth fret instead of the fifth fret, so that is really in the key of Bb instead of A.
Old 12-22-2016, 12:26 PM

One of the reasons I didn't reply on your first posting is because it's difficult to hear chords on that track. They are well down in the mix and it's on keys.

Basically it's a jazzed up 12 bar blues in Bb. Try this;

Code:
|Bb - - - |D7 - - - |Gm - - - |Bb7- - - |
|Eb - - - |Ebm- - - |Bb - - - |G#7- G7- |
|C7 - - - |F7 - - - |Bb7- Eb- |F#7- F7- |

Last edited by stanron; 12-22-2016 at 03:14 PM.
Old 12-23-2016, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanron View Post
One of the reasons I didn't reply on your first posting is because it's difficult to hear chords on that track. They are well down in the mix and it's on keys.

Basically it's a jazzed up 12 bar blues in Bb. Try this;

Code:
|Bb - - - |D7 - - - |Gm - - - |Bb7- - - |
|Eb - - - |Ebm- - - |Bb - - - |G#7- G7- |
|C7 - - - |F7 - - - |Bb7- Eb- |F#7- F7- |
Wow thank you guys for the direction. I too was a bit surprised to see the ratio between views and replies. I'm going to start strumming this progression today!

I am still new to music theory so pardon me if my follow up questions are poorly worded or confusing.

This is standard tuning correct?..

Is this based off of a I IV VI 12 bar structure with jazz chords and flavors added, or is it based off a different reletive note degree structure? Maybe this is what ive read as a five chords blues?

If it's the key of Bb would that make the D7 the IV and Eb the VI? (Just counting up four and five positions up from the "key")

Up until this point this may be the most intricate blues song I've tried to pick, I'm just trying to understand it the best I can.

Last edited by Fasteddie; 12-23-2016 at 08:03 AM.
Old 12-23-2016, 09:25 AM

The chord sequence wont be affected by the tuning but I assume that the guitar being played is in standard tuning

The scale of Bb is
Code:
┌────┬────┬────┬────┬────┬────┬──────┐
│ Bb │ Cm │ Dm │ Eb │ F  │ Gm │ Adim │
└────┴────┴────┴────┴────┴────┴──────┘
Chords built on the major scale are
Code:
  I    ii   iii  IV   V    vi   vii
Upper case = major chords
Lower case = minor chords (except vii which is diminished)

You will notice that the C and D in the sequence is major but in the scale they are minor. G in bar three is minor but in bar eight is major. Lots of these chords can be more complicated by making them 7ths or 9ths. Experiment

It is based on the I IV V 12 bar sequence.
Code:
|I  - - - | - - - - | - - - - |I7 - - - |
|IV - - - | - - - - | I - - - | - - - - |
|V7 - - - |IV - - - | I - - - |V7 - - - |
By numbers this sequence is
Code:
|I  - - - |III7- - -|vi - - - |I7 - - - |
|IV - - - |iv - - - |I  - - - |#VI7-VI7-|
|II7- - - |IV7- - - |I7 - IV- |#V7- V7- |
If it all seems a bit complicated don't worry. The important bit is that the chords sound OK when you play them.
Old 12-23-2016, 09:51 AM

Wow, thank you so much! The note degree breakdowns will be especially helpful. Seriously appriciate you taking the time help me out.

I don't quite understand everything fully, but as I get more familiar with this pattern I will keep referencing your post until it becomes clearer.
Old 12-23-2016, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasteddie View Post
........If it's the key of Bb would that make the D7 the IV and Eb the VI? (Just counting up four and five positions up from the "key")......
You are confusing scale degree - notes in the scale - with fret positions. You counted up by four frets. The "four" chord is actually four whole letters above the root chord.

Some notes in the standard scale are only one half step or one fret apart (B-C and E-F). When you cross these, you have to pay attention to the sharps and flats, ie: half steps. The rest of the whole steps are two frets apart. Stanron already answered, but for the key of Bb:
I = Bb
IV = Eb
V = F
vi = Gm (the relative minor of the scale)

For the relative minor you can either count UP by six notes or down by two notes.

This is the basic skeleton of the diatonic (Western do-re-mi scale) based chord progression, but this song has been jazzed up a bit with chord substitutions. It is not clear why Keb Mo played it in Bb. Maybe to appease horn players, or just because he could. Most guitarists would avoid flat keys or use a capo. But he is good enough to play in any key.....

The best way to learn this is to take a song that you already know, preferably one with more than just the I-IV-V chords, and transpose it into all the other keys. Write out a chart with the chord numbers, and below that write out the chords for all 11 other keys, including the sharps (or flats). You get more out of doing this exercise yourself than just looking up a table to transpose key. For example, I took a song like "Desperado" and learned to play it in six different keys.

Last edited by Earl49; 12-23-2016 at 10:48 AM. Reason: danged tpyos!
Old 12-23-2016, 12:06 PM

Thank you for the clarification.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write