The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 10-27-2016, 05:12 PM

Default Ok to flat pick a fingerstyle tune?

Is there any reason not to flat pick a song that is normally finger picked?
For instance, Landslide. Lindsey Buckingham himself plays it fingerstyle, but I like flat picking it better. I like flat picking in general anyway.

I mean, I know there are no laws about playing anything you want any way you want. I'm asking if songs written as fingerstyle will always, or at least usually, sound better if they are played fingerstyle?
Martin 00L-17
Voyage Air OM04
Breedlove Oregon Concert
1975 Aria 9422
Old 10-27-2016, 06:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars+gems View Post
For instance, Landslide. Lindsey Buckingham himself plays it fingerstyle, but I like flat picking it better. I like flat picking in general anyway.

I mean, I know there are no laws about playing anything you want any way you want. I'm asking if songs written as fingerstyle will always, or at least usually, sound better if they are played fingerstyle?
You're right that, in the end, what matters only is if it sounds good, and strikes a chord with listeners.
If you can pull that off with a flatpick, in a Travis style type tune like Landslide, then all the power to you and go for it.
I would say, however, that this particular tune, with its measured and softly rolling kind of cadence, its "signature sound", is a lot easier for the right hand to deliver, in convincing fashion, using a tried and true fingerstyle pattern than a pick. That kind of fingerpicking is popular for a reason!
But, I make no judgments when it comes to these decisions. If you can make it work better for you with a flatpick, then by all means do that! Your listeners will be the ultimate judge. Some people play Bach violin sonatas using a pick and a mandolin! and they pull it off in virtuoso fashion. Anything goes, as long as you are capable to do it effectively.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 10-27-2016, 07:40 PM
Charter Member

You answered your own question... it all comes down to what YOU feel about the sound and the arrangement of any tune that you play...

Good grief! Loosen up a little... GO CRAZY! Flatpick "Helplessly Hoping" if you like (as "Mr. Rich the Martin guy" does!)...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 10-27-2016, 09:57 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:

Songs written for finger style assume that you can play all the notes when indicated. I used to flat pick and also play hybrid (Did Mood For a Day that way). Once you start playing hybrid you're in the realm of finger style. You're allowed to learn finger style and still play with a flat pick when you feel like it.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 10-27-2016, 11:18 PM

I really love how permissive you guys are so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreF View Post
You're right that, in the end, what matters only is if it sounds good, and strikes a chord with listeners.
If you can pull that off with a flatpick, in a Travis style type tune like Landslide, then all the power to you and go for it.
I would say, however, that this particular tune, with its measured and softly rolling kind of cadence, its "signature sound", is a lot easier for the right hand to deliver, in convincing fashion, using a tried and true fingerstyle pattern than a pick. That kind of fingerpicking is popular for a reason!
But, I make no judgments when it comes to these decisions. If you can make it work better for you with a flatpick, then by all means do that! Your listeners will be the ultimate judge. Some people play Bach violin sonatas using a pick and a mandolin! and they pull it off in virtuoso fashion. Anything goes, as long as you are capable to do it effectively.
Andre, Your point is well taken about the signature sound of the song. I think that's what I wondered about. I've gone over the whole thing probably 50 or 75 times today, it occurs to me that if I was using a few fingers, instead of just the pick, a pattern might more easily become muscle memory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
You answered your own question... it all comes down to what YOU feel about the sound and the arrangement of any tune that you play...

Good grief! Loosen up a little... GO CRAZY! Flatpick "Helplessly Hoping" if you like (as "Mr. Rich the Martin guy" does!)...
Oh trust me, sir, I can go really crazy...um, Dust in the Wind flat picked? That doesn't mean it'll sound good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Songs written for finger style assume that you can play all the notes when indicated. I used to flat pick and also play hybrid (Did Mood For a Day that way). Once you start playing hybrid you're in the realm of finger style. You're allowed to learn finger style and still play with a flat pick when you feel like it.
So, Barry...what do you mean "play all the notes when indicated"? Do you mean whether with fingers or with pick you need to play them all? Because I am playing them all with the pick, but the song doesn't have that rolling cadence that Andre talked about. And does "hybrid" mean playing finger pick and flat pick in the same piece? I doubt I'll ever achieve that kind of dexterity at this point! I wouldn't mind finger style except that I have no nails and the notes just don't ring as beautifully as they do when I hit them with a pick.

By the way, I figured the song out from listening to the album cut. Got it almost right, except that I was using an Am instead of an Am7 and I had the pattern not quite correct. I went to YouTube to find out where I was going wrong and every Landslide tutorial was finger style, which is why I asked my original question. But the cool thing is, there is a video of Lindsey Buckingham himself showing how to play the song. He doesn't call out chords or anything, but he plays it slowly and you can watch his fingers. Acoustic version slightly different than on the recording and he talks about that.
Martin 00L-17
Voyage Air OM04
Breedlove Oregon Concert
1975 Aria 9422
Old 10-28-2016, 04:11 AM

Quote:

if you flat pick you cannot alternate the bass or hit two strings at once than aren't next to each other. So it would very limiting for most fingerstyle songs.
Old 10-28-2016, 05:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmanmatty View Post
if you flat pick you cannot alternate the bass or hit two strings at once than aren't next to each other. So it would very limiting for most fingerstyle songs.

^^^^^ one of my frustrations/challenges has been from trying to convert a fingerpicked song to flatpicked.

This explanation from macmanmatty explains perfectly the obstacle to overcome.

Enter the hybrid style ... thumb pick plus fingers....

I still have trouble with the pick catching on strings because I often "up pick "
But I like the blend of strong alternating bass , with fingered notes that this offers - for some songs.

Good luck to you and have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 10-28-2016, 06:49 AM

Quote:

Nahhh, do what you want.
On the other hand, I found it easier to fingerpick the opening intro to "Hotel California" and I'm a lousy finger picker.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 10-28-2016, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyFB View Post
^^^^^ one of my frustrations/challenges has been from trying to convert a fingerpicked song to flatpicked.

This explanation from macmanmatty explains perfectly the obstacle to overcome.

Enter the hybrid style ... thumb pick plus fingers....

I still have trouble with the pick catching on strings because I often "up pick "
But I like the blend of strong alternating bass , with fingered notes that this offers - for some songs.

Good luck to you and have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thumb picks don't pick / strum up very long before they break. Unless you have a metal one.
Old 10-28-2016, 08:43 AM

Oh, no, of course you can't. The acoustic guitar police will find out and you'll likely get a sentence of 16 to 24 months in the fingerstyle jail
Old 10-28-2016, 08:54 AM

Quote:

Although I've spent a good portion of time playing fingerstyle, including doing this tune way back when, like many aspiring finger pickers, these days I'm more into flatpicking. I'd encourage you to take it as far as you can w/the flatpick, while you've got the bug.

It's great to try to get it exact (not too hard w/this particular tune), but also great to try to capture the essence of it, while using the flatpick to best advantage. That might mean using cross-picking and some single string runs, which are not as effective when finger picking. Listen to Tony Rice for inspiration.

The big lesson here is your musicianship will improve and your style will become better defined the more you cross-pollinate. Attempt pieces with original and non-original techniques; look for inspiration from guitarists and non-guitarists; etc. If something sounds good to you, it is good; try to bring it to the guitar.
Old 10-28-2016, 08:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmanmatty View Post
thumb picks don't pick / strum up very long before they break. Unless you have a metal one.
I do have both metal and plastic thumbpicks, but typically only use the metal one on the banjo.

National brand plastic ones are my preferred pick, and I am experimenting with how much of the protruding tip to file off for an absolutely perfect picking experience. Out of the box , they're too long for my tastes.

I haven't broken one yet, but, on different occasions I've gotten it stuck on a string, turned 30 degrees, and flung off mid stroke

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 10-28-2016, 10:53 AM

not all thumb picks are created equal I bought a pack of 12 national large thumb picks some of them vary in length by over a 3/16" of an inch.
Old 10-28-2016, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFD View Post
Although I've spent a good portion of time playing fingerstyle, including doing this tune way back when, like many aspiring finger pickers, these days I'm more into flatpicking. I'd encourage you to take it as far as you can w/the flatpick, while you've got the bug.

It's great to try to get it exact (not too hard w/this particular tune), but also great to try to capture the essence of it, while using the flatpick to best advantage. That might mean using cross-picking and some single string runs, which are not as effective when finger picking. Listen to Tony Rice for inspiration.

The big lesson here is your musicianship will improve and your style will become better defined the more you cross-pollinate. Attempt pieces with original and non-original techniques; look for inspiration from guitarists and non-guitarists; etc. If something sounds good to you, it is good; try to bring it to the guitar.
I appreciate all the advice that I'm getting, but BFD, your post really speaks to me. Yes, I would like to see how far I can take the flat picking and I just looked up some crosspicking videos and grabbed my guitar to try it. I loved the sound of it! Not that I necessarily want to play bluegrass, but I can use it in other genres I think. So, thanks for the ideas and the encouragement.
Martin 00L-17
Voyage Air OM04
Breedlove Oregon Concert
1975 Aria 9422
Old 10-28-2016, 12:15 PM

The California studio great Tommy Tedesco, when he had a great column in Guitar Player, famously wrote that he played all of his classical guitar parts with a pick. If he can play classical guitar on record with a pick, you can play anything you want with a pick.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write