The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-11-2011, 08:07 AM

Default Tried a few guitars........

I played this model yesterday,GS Fall LTD, and it was visually stunning!

I also played this model:

OMCPA3

I've owned a ton of Taylors, and not a Taylor hater (just dont like ES), but this Martin sounded so much better to me. The Taylor was "dead" no sparkle, and very little projection compared to the Martin. Im not bashing here, I was just totally surprised! That Taylor was one pretty guitar though. I played these both at Music Makers in, Galesburg, IL

My YouTube

Facebook

"Only by becoming acquainted with your own self,
can you gain the composure to write original music"

Michael Hedges ♫

Last edited by Fngrstyl; 12-11-2011 at 08:45 AM.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:13 AM

Hey Chad - any chance the Taylor had older strings and the Martin new strings? You've owned "tons of Taylors" so I'm assuming the ones you've owned sounded better than this one? If so, you may have played one of those rare lemons.

If it were me and I was buying, I wouldn't buy the pretty one over another that sounded better.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Hey Chad - any chance the Taylor had older strings and the Martin new strings? You've owned "tons of Taylors" so I'm assuming the ones you've owned sounded better than this one? If so, you may have played one of those rare lemons.

If it were me and I was buying, I wouldn't buy the pretty one over another that sounded better.
Oh no, the Elixirs were new. I usually find them Clear, and loud. I'm guessing it was the Cocobola... so dense ya know? It sure was pretty though. Loved the Antique Gotoh's, with the coco on back of headstock. I'd buy sound over beauty too. Also, GS is too uncomfortable for me. They also had MARTIN DRS1 Solid Sapele back/sides/Top. It really sounded good too, I couldn't believe it. Very playable too. No "scary" action. This guitar would be a great beginner guitar if the price wasnt too much for some people just starting out.

My YouTube

Facebook

"Only by becoming acquainted with your own self,
can you gain the composure to write original music"

Michael Hedges ♫

Last edited by Fngrstyl; 12-11-2011 at 08:28 AM.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Hey Chad - any chance the Taylor had older strings and the Martin new strings?

I accept the wisdom of "play before you buy" (if practical) but I've always thought there are so many variables at play that it's difficult to make good impressions based on picking up an instrument and playing it for the first time.

Heck, I've had my Taylor for over a year and am continually surprised at the variety of qualities it has depending on; weather, string guage, type and condition, room acoustics, my subjective mood, how well it's tuned, etc.

It would be interesting to try those two same instruments a month later and see if the initial impressions hold.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion