The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 12-07-2016, 03:04 PM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY
Default digital recorder with "rewind" & "fast forward?"

I'm a songwriter. I want something to simply and easily work out songs on. I'm looking for a digital recorder that will do a fast rewind or fast forward, let's say 20 seconds just for an example. I've given up on a digital recorder that has a decent speaker. I know I will have to get some kind of mini speaker (please correct me if I'm wrong). Does anyone know of a digital recorder that has a fast rewind and fast forward? Thanks in advance.
Old 12-07-2016, 04:11 PM

the ones i've seen have immediate fast forward and rewind. no waiting.

google them and check the specs.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 12-07-2016, 05:50 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for replying muscmp.

The one I have does immediate rewind to the previous song if I just press it. (or forward to the next). When I try to fast forward, say, 20 seconds, it is excruciating slow. I will look again at the various recorders and see if I can get some clarity about this. The one I have is an older Zoom H2.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antaren View Post
I'm a songwriter. I want something to simply and easily work out songs on. I'm looking for a digital recorder that will do a fast rewind or fast forward, let's say 20 seconds just for an example. I've given up on a digital recorder that has a decent speaker. I know I will have to get some kind of mini speaker (please correct me if I'm wrong). Does anyone know of a digital recorder that has a fast rewind and fast forward? Thanks in advance.
Get yourself a Zoom R8. It has incremental fast forward and rewind speeds. For going back over passages repeatidly it's much easier to set a marker point and you can go back to the marker instantly. Super-easy to set looping points to loop a specified portion of a song.

If you're wanting to monitor inexpensively you should also consider a Creative D100, less than $50 and works well if patching into it's 1/8" input with an adapter to the R8 output jacks.

https://www.amazon.com/Creative-D100.../dp/B003N9SR00

For over-dubs you need a set of headphones. If you need to go inexpensive consider the Audio Technica ATH-M3X or even a set of $30 Sennhieser HD 202s. You can spend a lot more on any of this stuff, but you don't need to.

With a set of headphones you can do your entire songwriting process using only the built-in mics on the R8.

Hope this sheds some light on your possibilities.

You are aware that your H2 will fast forward or rewind (without going to the next song) if you hold the button down instead of releasing it, right?

Last edited by Rudy4; 12-07-2016 at 08:45 PM.
Old 12-07-2016, 09:38 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for your detailed reply, Rudy4. I will look into your suggestions.
When I hold the button down on my H2, it will rewind or fast forward, but so very slowly. Perhaps it's a defect with my H2, as it's many many years old.
The phrase I was missing when looking for these recorders is "incremental rewind & fast forward." This will help in my search.

Karen

Last edited by KarenB; 12-07-2016 at 10:52 PM.
Old 12-08-2016, 01:38 AM
Charter Member

If you're looking to be able to replay parts quickly, consider Transcribe! Or Amazing Slow Downer (The latter is available as an app as well as on the desktop)
Old 12-08-2016, 09:56 AM
Charter Member

Hi Doug, thanks for replying. These are both very helpful apps, and I'll check into that for learning parts, and even learning what I just played "on the fly." I still need something portable that I can record on, to capture song ideas. I don't have a smart phone or a tablet, which is why I'm looking for a digital recorder.

Karen
Old 12-08-2016, 01:40 PM

Read the H2 manual, page 24. You can add marks to your recordings, and then the button works like a scrub (skips to the mark).
Old 12-08-2016, 09:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyAxe View Post
Read the H2 manual, page 24. You can add marks to your recordings, and then the button works like a scrub (skips to the mark).

Thanks, Rusty. I will download the manual as mine has been eaten by bears.

Karen

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD