The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 10-22-2014, 09:01 PM

Default Ben Howard picking hand position

I don't actually know if this is considered anchoring, but it looks like the wrist is anchored on the picking hand to help with accuracy. It seems like it would work well without killing mobility. Does anyone here use that picking hand position/have any tips. Not sure how he hits the A string without muting the low E string while anchoring his wrist like that. Can see it around 1:45 of the first video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAMZ9k8PR-E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVLxOVFjaBs
Old 10-23-2014, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie112 View Post
I don't actually know if this is considered anchoring, but it looks like the wrist is anchored on the picking hand to help with accuracy. It seems like it would work well without killing mobility. Does anyone here use that picking hand position/have any tips. Not sure how he hits the A string without muting the low E string while anchoring his wrist like that. Can see it around 1:45 of the first video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAMZ9k8PR-E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVLxOVFjaBs
Perhaps he chose that slightly awkward-looking position precisely for that reason?
(At 1:45 he's not actually playing the 6th string, so having it muted is a good idea. Of course it's no problem playing the 6th, later, when he needs to.)

Personally, I often anchor my wrist when picking, but usually on the top end of the bridge (corner of the wrist opposite the thumb). That not only helps accuracy, but helps give a more aggressive attack on the strings than the floating wrist position. (I might anchor for playing blues, but probably use a floating position for folk or classical.)

Having tried his position - with the wrist flat above the strings, bent so that the fingers still sit at right angles to the strings - it feels weird (I don't use fingerpicks), but I like the fact that the 6th is easily muted (by the thumb) when I play the 5th. You often don't want the 6th to stay ringing when picking the 5th, at least not if your root/key note is on the 5th.
It's actually the sideways bend of the wrist that I find uncomfortable about his position, and is why I wouldn't choose it myself.
But it obviously works for him - and is a good lesson in finding whatever works for you, to give you the sound and control you need.
If you don't like (or don't want) that muting effect on 6th, then use a different position.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:18 AM
Charter Member

Pretty bad position in my opinion. He is getting a poor sound. He does not seem to be using it for muting strings, it is just a bad habit. IMHO of course.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 10-23-2014, 02:27 PM

His man bracelet might be scratching the guitar too....

Francisco Navarro Concert Classical
Francisco Navarro Student Flamenco
Eastman AC708 Sunburst
Seagull S6
Cordoba C-5
Fender Strat MIM
Old 12-02-2016, 07:02 AM

poor sound....ben howard....really? lol
Old 12-04-2016, 08:00 AM

Seems to me Ben keeps his picking hand positioned on the end of his wrist-very convenient.
Old 12-04-2016, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Pretty bad position in my opinion. He is getting a poor sound. He does not seem to be using it for muting strings, it is just a bad habit. IMHO of course.
Beat me to it. He has zero flexibility and can just manage to get his fingers to play, meaning, he's more focused on a false notion of stability that is ultimately his handicap.

I simply do not understand the proposed notion of stabilizing the hand to pluck something as easy as guitar strings. One would think it similarly necessary to stabilize when tying shoes, buttoning articles of clothing, selecting and removing grapes from the vine, using eating utensils, turning pages in a book, using a keyboard, etc. It isn't necessary and will greatly impede becoming the best one can be. But, then there's always settling for good enough and if that's the argument proffered, I stand corrected.
Old 12-04-2016, 09:22 PM

I like Ben Howard...I've heard some of his material, and he was featured in the documentary "Austin To Boston" on Netflix...he was part of a 25 person caravan of 5 VW buses that made a tour after SXSW that ended up in Boston...he's a very talented songwriter and musician...

I've only been playing for a couple of years and even I noticed right away that his style is different from most I've seen...but it suits his material very effectively, and I enjoy listening to and watching him perform...

I also remember reading an interview with Martin Simpson where he said he was much more interested in "songwriters, rather than guitar players of extended technique"...

Ben Howard hits that mark for me...
Old 12-04-2016, 09:47 PM
Charter Member

Maybe he had a guitar fall out of his lap once and swore that would never happen again. Kind of a tone killer though.
Old 12-05-2016, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie112 View Post
I don't actually know if this is considered anchoring...
Definitely would call it anchoring, though plenty of great fingerstylists (& banjo players) anchor or 'reference' the top to some extent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny B View Post
...I also remember reading an interview with Martin Simpson where he said he was much more interested in "songwriters, rather than guitar players of extended technique"...Ben Howard hits that mark for me...
Not sure about the context there...maybe he was talking about listening preferences, as opposed to technique preferences. Martin has great technique and, as a teacher, I'd be surprised if he promoted poor technique in his students.
Old 12-05-2016, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFD View Post
Not sure about the context there...maybe he was talking about listening preferences, as opposed to technique preferences. Martin has great technique and, as a teacher, I'd be surprised if he promoted poor technique in his students.

Ben Howard seems to be making a decent living in the music business so far, with a playing technique that suits his original material...and I like listening to what he does...

I give him kudos for that...

Different strokes, you know...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write