The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 07-06-2015, 04:29 AM

Default A rival to "The Tree" perhaps?

I stumbled across these pictures and video from Ancientwood.com
The Ancient Kauri log is aptly named "megacurl" and is said to be a one in thirty year find.
It looks like they have already starting milling some of it of it up for tonewood so might be worth investing in a set or two.

Cheers,

Christian.

http://www.ancientwood.com/galleries.../#!prettyPhoto

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCxUwuiqRmc
Old 07-06-2015, 05:22 AM
Charter Member

Beautiful wood and I am very impressed by how old the wood is. I mean sinker redwood is old but these are from the glacial period. 35000-50000 years old !?! Wow!.

I would want one just for that reason.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 07-06-2015, 06:32 AM

WOW!!! That curl is amazing!!! I have a set of ancient kauri that has what is called whitebait figure and some rolling curls but those look like they'll be incredible!!!

Here's what whitebait looks like, my sets is mostly rough but you can see the figure on this side piece!!!

Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/nutmegacoustics
Old 07-06-2015, 01:18 PM

magnificent trees and timber

Old 07-06-2015, 07:42 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Is that even big enough to make a guitar?
Old 07-06-2015, 08:08 PM

One piece back anyone?

Good grief that log is huge. Pretty too. Are you going to acquire some Christian?

TK
Old 07-06-2015, 10:56 PM

Hey Tristan!

They do get really big, I've heard of one nicknamed "aircraft carrier"
I think they actually reburied it, as there was simply no way to get it out!
Sadly no I won't be buying any, for ethical and environmental reasons.

Christian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkoehler1 View Post
One piece back anyone?

Good grief that log is huge. Pretty too. Are you going to acquire some Christian?

TK
Old 07-07-2015, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianD View Post
Hey Tristan!

They do get really big, I've heard of one nicknamed "aircraft carrier"
I think they actually reburied it, as there was simply no way to get it out!
Sadly no I won't be buying any, for ethical and environmental reasons.

Christian.
Christian,

I understand concerns about harvesting living trees. Why the "ethical and environmental reasons" for not milling woods from swaps that likely fell in a natural event thousands of years ago?

Please enlighten me.

Thanks.

Chris

The Acoustics

Tom Doerr - Trinity. Flamed Maple under Swiss
Tom Doerr - M/D. Braz under Red
Old 07-07-2015, 04:10 PM

Hi Chris,

Ethically it doesn't sit well with me to purchase from these particular suppliers as there is a rather large cloud hovering over how they have been able to obtain their timber. Under NZ law all Ancient Kauri timber is either supposed to only be from 'stump logs', (which can't be any higher than the diameter of the stump at ground level), Or sold in a manufactured/finished product form. One could argue that these slabs are finished products, such as live edge table tops and I'm sure some are. But clearly if you are re milling the timber for furniture or guitars for example, then in my view it wasn't a finished product to begin with.

Environmentally.
The impact on the environment to procure these logs is doing increasing damage to the surrounding delicate ecosystems and wetlands, as a resident Northlander I have to be concerned with this reality.

Christian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzard View Post
Christian,

I understand concerns about harvesting living trees. Why the "ethical and environmental reasons" for not milling woods from swaps that likely fell in a natural event thousands of years ago?

Please enlighten me.

Thanks.

Chris
Old 07-07-2015, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkoehler1 View Post
One piece back anyone?

TK
Not much demand for one piece backs. Everybody is used to the book matched sets. At least that's been my experience.

Some of the best Whitebait of Ancient Kauri I've seen Laurie Williams has. It's between a $25,000 and $40,000 upgrade as I recall. It is beautiful stuff.

Last edited by BBWW; 07-08-2015 at 12:03 PM.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:41 PM

I'll be interested in seeing how this plays out. I think a lot of the mystique with "the Tree" came from the limited supply. 5,000 guitar builds from now, they might have one "Tree" worth of Kauri from that log . But I suspect we'll see this stuff hit the market with a hefty price tag (and why not, they'll charge whatever the market will bear).
Old 07-07-2015, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianD View Post
Hi Chris,

Ethically it doesn't sit well with me to purchase from these particular suppliers as there is a rather large cloud hovering over how they have been able to obtain their timber. Under NZ law all Ancient Kauri timber is either supposed to only be from 'stump logs', (which can't be any higher than the diameter of the stump at ground level), Or sold in a manufactured/finished product form. One could argue that these slabs are finished products, such as live edge table tops and I'm sure some are. But clearly if you are re milling the timber for furniture or guitars for example, then in my view it wasn't a finished product to begin with.

Environmentally.
The impact on the environment to procure these logs is doing increasing damage to the surrounding delicate ecosystems and wetlands, as a resident Northlander I have to be concerned with this reality.

Christian.
This is the same reason reclaiming sunken redwood trees in the rivers of California was stopped. It was causing great harm to the ecosystem and fish hatcheries.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:58 PM

The best Whitebait Ancient Kauri already makes the cost of sets of the best "Tree" seem cheap. I know I've tried to get some. LOL But if anyone wants to trade for a set...let me know. I have some flame and some light whitebait but nothing like this. I have only played one guitar out of it and it was very nice. I'd love to play a few more.

Old 07-07-2015, 10:40 PM

Oh yes the "Williams" whitebait I'm not sure if the short video is still around that showcases it, but it's pretty amazing! I think that wood too came from a small freakish log.
Ancient Kauri can be a nightmare to bend at times, but does have amazing sustain, which of course has to be to your taste if you are going to build with it. As has been said it will be interesting to see if the demand is there and how it's priced. Maybe if the government jam on the breaks in regards to exporting of it the price will go even higher!

Cheers,

Christian.
Old 07-08-2015, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBWW View Post
Not much demand for one piece backs. Everybody is used to the book matched sets. At lease that's been my experience.

Some of the best Whitebait of Ancient Kauri I've seen Laurie Williams has. It's between a $25,000 and $40,000 upgrade as I recall. It is beautiful stuff.
My jaws just dropped...

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop