The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 11-09-2017, 04:12 PM

Default Bored?

Does this ever happen to anyone else???
You’re new at guitar, you practice a new song a lot till you get it. But by that time, you’re almost sick of the song.
2008 Ibanez "strat" style.
Old 11-09-2017, 04:22 PM

Used to happen to me but primarily because I just jumped from thing to thing without any real direction. I have since started putting more structure to my journey down the path of learning guitar, even when part of that structure is scheduling unstructured time.

In other words I make time for just playing songs or parts of songs I've learned. I usually use it as a warm up but I keep a list and dont have to play them all but I just play and have fun. Sometimes I really get into a song and just go with it for a while. I make time to do scale stuff just because I know that I need that info stored in my brain somewhere. I do a lot of the learning of scales while watching tv but make time in my practice to just try to do something musical over a backing track. And I make time for learning a new song, riff, progression etc. I can have a couple of easy things, maybe one electric and one acoustic or I can have a single thing I am putting a lot of focus into. So I can either go through and play songs, improvise and learn all in one session or I can pick one. Whichever feels good that day.

The other thing that has really helped me is the DigiTech Trio+. I know that even if I'm just messing around with it I am getting better.

That said, knowing me I could get bored of this routine at any time. I've just learned to make a new plan and keep it fresh. Personally, I'm just learning for me.
Old 11-09-2017, 04:25 PM

Ah, that's easy, put it in a different key. Or turn it into a minor or major key, depending on whatever key it's in now.
Old 11-09-2017, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myvalk View Post
You’re new at guitar, you practice a new song a lot till you get it. But by that time, you’re almost sick of the song.
Usually means you have almost got it learned. New at guitar or not. The secret is to always be able to get back to that mental space that got you to learn it in the first place.

hunter
Old 11-09-2017, 06:07 PM
Get off my lawn kid

I get that from time to time so I'll work on certain sections of a tune, then jump to another for a while to break things up a little.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 11-09-2017, 06:43 PM
Charter Member

How about the family?

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 11-09-2017, 06:48 PM

Haven't been new at guitar in over 40 years. However, you won't be motivated to work hard every day. For me, you don't ever need to push it. If you get bored, because you're tired, or distracted, or frustrated, put it away go for a run, golfing, hike, bicycle...... come back another day. Don't get burned out because you feel you "have to" practice.
Old 11-09-2017, 09:23 PM

Thanx all for your input. I️ just wish I️ could play as good as I️ make believe I️ do when I’m alone and listening to some awesome song. Lol.

All those boxes are the letter I️ (eye)
For some reason my phone has gone Rogue.
Just leaving it cause it’s funny.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
How about the family?
Family ???? Nope, not bored of them yet. 😲
Old 11-10-2017, 09:13 AM

Quote:
This can happen whatever level you're at. What it means is one (or more) of the following applies:

1. You don't really like the song enough.
Solution: Leave it, look for one you like more.

2. You're not listening properly.
Solution: Pay closer attention, you might find it's more interesting than you thought.
Remember: learning a song is just the beginning. Once you've got it all correct, that's when you start actually playing it, making it into music. You have to love it.

3. You're not cut out to be a musician. Find another hobby. (If this prospect is too scary or depressing, go back to points #1 and/or #2 above.)

4. You're a professional, and are being paid to perform this ghastly, tedious song. OK, it's quicker to learn stuff than when you were a beginner, but you can get bored more quickly too.
Solution: Swallow your pride! If someone somewhere likes it, it's "good music".
Alternatively, give up and find another job. See above.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Well I'm not new at guitar but I get the same feelings - I wonder if that's not a requirement. I think you may HAVE to be sick of a song to perform it well.

If the song still enthralls you, then you may get caught up in enjoying it, instead of focusing on playing it
Old 11-11-2017, 08:08 PM

Happens to me a lot. I find it very hard to get the last 20% or so of the way to getting the song to sound "right." You play the thing over and over and over again. It still is not quite right.

It seems to help to shelve it and go on to something else, and come back to it a couple weeks later.
Old 11-11-2017, 08:29 PM

Cool I Am Never Bored - Frustrated At Times But Never Bored

Nope Never .

IMHO I don't practice enough and I practice almost everyday .

EZ
:

HR
Life has always been interesting to me

Old 11-11-2017, 08:44 PM

I keep several new songs on the go at any one time to help prevent it. I get a lot of motivation from knowing that having a good number of songs in my repertoire is great around the campfire. It's a fantastic feeling to be able to pull yet another song out of your back pocket.
Old 11-11-2017, 09:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Well, when you think you have it, record yourself playing it, listen carefully, and then honestly decide if you own it.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write