The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 10-31-2017, 11:12 PM

Default Begin Early

Begin Very Early Say 7 or 8 ...and practice almost everyday , even if for a half hour , Wish i had . Every great guitar player I ever spoke with began around the age of 10 or so , like a language going directly into the subconcious ...otherwise , just practice ...we cant go back in time unfortunately ? or maybe not ?
Old 11-01-2017, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX17609 View Post
Old guy here. I played lead in a power trio in the 80s, and we covered all just about every Clapton, Hendrix, SRV, etc tune you can think of. It was pretty straightforward in those days, because you could tell where those guys came from. They 'rockified' the blues, and I was totally fluent in that language. But Eddie Van Halen changed the world. I have no freaking idea what he's doing, how he does it or where it comes from. Even his rhythm playing astonishes me. When his style became the norm, I just gave up. I wouldn't want to learn lead guitar these days.
I know the feeling. But why give up?
I just kept playing lead the way I always did (since the 1960s) and still do. EVH raised the bar, technically, but other styles of playing still survive. People still like to hear that old "rockified blues" (and the even older un-rockified blues ). Nobody has to do all that tapping stuff.... personally I find it tedious, technical wizardry for the sake of it. But then I am an old guy, of course, what do you expect...
Old 11-02-2017, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyboi View Post
...I have this habit of starting on a song but then getting bored with it and moving on to another, which is why I have a heap of songs on riffstation...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
That's an important issue to deal with...
Agree w/John 100%.
Once you're playing complete songs/tunes, regardless of speed or complexity, IMHO you're thinking and learning like a 'musician'. Until then (again IMO), not so much. Whether you give up on songs due to boredom or difficulty, the result is the same. You're not developing the mindset or the skills to create 'music'.
If, for instance, a passage in a song is too difficult to play, you can:
1) simplify it so that you can play it, move on and learn the rest of the song (this can fall under the definition for 'making it your own') or
2) buckle down and master the challenging part and/or the technique(s) required to play it.
Being able to use the knowledge and tools you currently have to use solution 1) above is one of the first things you'll need to be able do to play leads; i.e. to create something that you can play and that works in the song. Doesn't matter if it's a screaming rock-star lead, some chord embellishments, alternative strumming or a rest(the most unsung arranging tool of all time!).
The main purpose of any part of a song, whether simple or fancy, is to serve the song.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write