The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-19-2012, 11:09 PM

Another thing to consider about using a 1/4" > XLR adaptor is the sheer mass and length of the combined adaptor and XLR plug hanging off your endpin jack. That seems like a lot of leverage to apply to the jack and the end block… especially if it gets bumped.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:34 AM

You cannot assume it is okay to connect electronics to phantom power. For instance, here is an excerpt from an AER Compact 60/2 manual where it is giving "Examples of devices that may be damaged by incorrect application of phantom power":

"Audio devices with a balanced XLR output (e.g. DIboxes, effects devices, instrument preamps with a DI output etc.) which are not protected against phantom power applied to their XLR output. (The DI connectors on AER products are protected against applied phantom power.)"

As it turns out, the initial version of the Compact 60 did not have protection built into its DI and should not be connected to an input with phantom power applied.

Bottom line: not all gear can be safely connected to inputs with phantom power on. You'll want to verify it's safe before doing so.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:44 PM
Charter Member

Concur with the majority here: an inexpensive passive DI like a Whirlwind is just the ticket for what the OP wants to do. I use a Radial JDI in this scenario but the difference in price is more a matter of "run it over with an 18-wheeler" durability than any real tonal advantage. If you take reasonable care of a Whirlwind, they work just fine

One more time, so it cannot possibly be overlooked:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchalebk View Post
You cannot assume it is okay to connect electronics to phantom power

Bottom line: not all gear can be safely connected to inputs with phantom power on. You'll want to verify it's safe before doing so
Some dynamic mics can be damaged by phantom power and there is plenty of electronic gear that is in the same category. You need to know without any doubt whatsoever which category a piece of gear is in before making that connection, and the only way to know for sure is to read the manual

This is also why I am always extremely leery of inexpensive mixing boards that have global (all or nothing) phantom power. Nothing necessarily wrong with the board per se but they are much more subject to operator error in this regard

https://www.martinshenandoahguitars.info/
Old 11-10-2017, 08:18 AM

Wink VOXAGA70 Input

Speaking of such with the XLR to 1/4 '" Guitar cable:
I have just acquired a VOX aga70 acoustic amp that has both 1/4 in and xlr input choices for each of it's two channels. The Amp came with an issue with the Tube Preamp channel. Using the 1/4" Guitar input, sometimes I would get no output. I changed the tube, but usually jacking in and out of the 1/4 input would get it working. So thinking it is the 1/4" jack as the issue, I bought an adapter xlr to 1/4" female, and used this in the Tube Pre-amp Channel, and works every time, with little or no noise and good signal level. This adapter does not change the impedance. So what do all you experts think? Should I still use a DI and xlr to hit this channel?
Old 11-10-2017, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceShaffstall View Post
Speaking of such with the XLR to 1/4 '" Guitar cable:
I have just acquired a VOX aga70 acoustic amp that has both 1/4 in and xlr input choices for each of it's two channels. The Amp came with an issue with the Tube Preamp channel. Using the 1/4" Guitar input, sometimes I would get no output. I changed the tube, but usually jacking in and out of the 1/4 input would get it working. So thinking it is the 1/4" jack as the issue, I bought an adapter xlr to 1/4" female, and used this in the Tube Pre-amp Channel, and works every time, with little or no noise and good signal level. This adapter does not change the impedance. So what do all you experts think? Should I still use a DI and xlr to hit this channel?
The most important thing is "how does it sound?". If it works, it works.

But what pickup are you using? The Mic input probably has a very low input impedance that would be an issue with passive pickups, like the K&K, but may not matter at all with an active pickup.
Old 11-10-2017, 11:02 AM

I have an XLR male to 1/4" female adapter from Radio Shack years ago. It's not powered and when I disassembled it, inside it has a tiny, wound transformer that allows it to perform well.

I'm guessing the first adapter mentioned (1/4" male) would have a similar internal component.
Old 11-12-2017, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby1note View Post
My understanding is phantom-power only has to be turned off while making the connection. Turn it off until the connection is made, and then re-establish it if you need it for a condenser-mic or other device that needs phantom. Apparently, making a connection while phantom is turned on, can cause arcing, and possible damage to some unprotected circuits.
If you are using an adapter (bad idea BTW), phantom power MUST be turned off because the adapter cause phantom power to appear on the tip of the 1/4" plug which has the potential to damage things.

1/4" connections, by convention, are never assumed to have phantom power available, so are not protected.
Old 11-12-2017, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac View Post
I have an XLR male to 1/4" female adapter from Radio Shack years ago. It's not powered and when I disassembled it, inside it has a tiny, wound transformer that allows it to perform well.

I'm guessing the first adapter mentioned (1/4" male) would have a similar internal component.
The adapter that he posted does NOT contain a transformer.
Old 11-13-2017, 02:12 AM

Five and a half year old thread...

Lj has already given the best option for these circumstances, a passive DI between the guitar and the mixer. Not only will it optimise the signal for the mixer input it will also provide a degree of protection if the mixer only has global 48v (ie all on or all off) - though check to make sure. I believe you get what you pay for and while most cheap passive DIs work fine there are advantages to spending a little more, not least build quality and phase coherence. I am a big fan of Radial’s gear and suggest looking at the stage bugs.

Adapters from jack to xlr are ok if you know what you are doing but it is easy to forget and plug in to a live input. Tele to xlr adapters are often used to connect a mixer’s aux outputs to balanced gear such as stage monitors - I use them with my Mackie DL1608 for example. I would never use them to connect anything to the inputs.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 11-13-2017, 09:02 AM

I was addressing BruceShaffstall's followup question on the same topic that was not 5-1/2 years old, and was a good question IMO.

Regarding passive DIs, unless the guitar has active (buffered) pickups annactive DI is a better choice because the impedance matching to the load will be much better. This is especially true for a guitar equipped with piezo pickups.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agedhorse View Post
I was addressing BruceShaffstall's followup question on the same topic that was not 5-1/2 years old, and was a good question IMO.

Regarding passive DIs, unless the guitar has active (buffered) pickups annactive DI is a better choice because the impedance matching to the load will be much better. This is especially true for a guitar equipped with piezo pickups.
You’re quite right regarding active or passive DIs.

I was merely pointing out the age of the thread rather than criticising anyone for adding to the thread, my apologies if it seemed otherwise!
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 11-15-2017, 02:28 PM

Get the di.. they are cheap enough and you will use
it many times. The adaptors are made for short runs.
It won't work as well as the di and you'll be sorry
You didn't get the di..

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
1/4, adapter, direct box, xlr