The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-14-2017, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitaurman View Post

I'm just wondering if the Bose is as loud or has the coverage that the Fishman SA 330 has.

I know Sound Pressure Level isn't as relevant with these line arrays, but the SPL of the Bose L1 Compact is less then a Loudbox mini.
but would the SA330 be more useful in covering larger audiences.

I have a full P.A for large rooms but I don't want to lug that stuff around if I can get away with one of these smaller systems.
Good questions...

I had the SA220 and now the L1C..

It blows my mind how much coverage the Compact has .. with no noticable "Hot Spots". The sound dispersion envelopes the room. This is what Bose has always been famous for (even from their early Hi-Fi days).

When I had the SoloAmp.. Honestly, it was a little loud close up... It actually bothered my (older sensitive) ears. I think it was because the whole speaker system was in the air. Where as the Bose has the bass speaker on the floor. Which I like much better. Keep bass low and highs at or above (my and audience) ear level.

The Bose is super clear and "acoustic" sounding all the way around.... Vocals are smooth and cut through. I do like the more bottom end of the Bose over the Soloamp 220. Brings out the Growl of my J-45.....

As for loudness and volume.. Hopefully someone can chime in on the differences. I'm with you.. I believe (and on paper) the SA330x will be "louder" and also with addition of the Subwoofer would be more versatile for bigger rooms.

When I bought the Bose.. My very knowledgeable dealer friend stated the Compact was suitable for smaller places .. 50-75 people. He said it's not intended for anything bigger.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:37 PM
Charter Member

It wouldn't surprise me at all if the Fishman was louder... at the source. I know that they won't sound so loud "out in the room", especially 30-50' away from the stage.

That is one of the "odd" things about my Bose that can be confounding to a lot of newer users... the Bose rigs just don't have to be all that loud on stage, because the dispersion is so even and wide that there isn't all that much volume drop-off as it fills the room.

I've known some folks who just couldn't wrap their heads around that phenomenon, and they end up saying that the Bose rigs 'just don't produce the volume" for a bar or noisier room. All I can say is, walk out in that room while the music is playing and you'll be quite surprised how much the sound penetrates throughout a given space.

While the Fishman units I have heard sound pretty good, they don't come close to that kind of coverage or dispersion.

I guess it comes down to: Well, there's loud, and there's LOUD! I don't want to have to blast the volume on stage and blow out the tables in front of me, just to get the sound back to the folks in the rear of the room...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 11-15-2017, 06:33 PM

Jake,
Can you do me a favor? Is there a way you can plug a 1/8” stereo out of your Play Acoustic (headphone out) to the 1/8” stereo in on your L1C? Not sure if you have a cable for this. I have been plugging my Play Acoustic into my powered speaker this way and like the sound. I just wondered how the stereo image would carry over to the L1C. I would like to see how the spacial effects like reverb, chorus and delay sound for both guitar and vocal.

I will purchase soon the L1C soon and will try hooking mine up this way.
Old 11-16-2017, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty C View Post
Jake,
Can you do me a favor? Is there a way you can plug a 1/8” stereo out of your Play Acoustic (headphone out) to the 1/8” stereo in on your L1C? Not sure if you have a cable for this. I have been plugging my Play Acoustic into my powered speaker this way and like the sound. I just wondered how the stereo image would carry over to the L1C. I would like to see how the spacial effects like reverb, chorus and delay sound for both guitar and vocal.

I will purchase soon the L1C soon and will try hooking mine up this way.
Sure.. I'll will give it a try later on.

I am having excellent results going out of the Play set to Mono (using the Left XLR output) to the 1/4" (input 2) on the Bose (set to Line level).

Sounds wonderful!

I did need to purchase a XLR to 1/4" TRS adapter.

Old 11-16-2017, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post
Sure.. I'll will give it a try later on.

I am having excellent results going out of the Play set to Mono (using the Left XLR output) to the 1/4" (input 2) on the Bose (set to Line level).

Sounds wonderful!

I did need to purchase a XLR to 1/4" TRS adapter.

**this is the best way to go.
Use a mono output to the Bose as it is a mono speaker. The reverb & delay sounds very good through it. Don't think you'll gain anything by trying to go stereo into a mono unit.
By comparison most Live PA's run in mono.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:03 AM

Quick question for T1 owners: I have to use reading glasses to see fine print; can someone quickly change scenes in a live situation on a T1 by just pressing a button or two without having to read a display? Cause I'd like to eliminate the reading glasses from the live equation.

The last link Jake posted to a page of useful Bose L1 info showed in gory detail the less than ideal cabling situation with mounting a T1 on a mic stand (not mention point out owners' dissatisfaction with the Bose mic stand mount) ... so if I had to walk over to the L1 itself where I had the T1 mounted, I'd like to know I wouldn't have to fumble around once I'm there.
Old 11-16-2017, 01:07 PM
Charter Member

Troggg;

A couple things... first, I don't know of a way to do what you're asking with the "scene selection", except for YOU memorizing the order they are in that patch... and then selecting the scene by "feel". I have a scene set for my normal rig (6 string, 12 string and vocal mic) with all the eq and such for my regular gig; I just select that scene from the start and don't change it throughout the show. I don't understand why you'd want to be switching scenes in the middle of a set?

Secondly, I heard NOTHING but horror stories about people using the mic stand mount from Bose and also, the attachment gizmo that works with the speaker column... so I never even thought of using that... figuring that having the T1 "take a dive" from either place would NOT be beneficial to it's performance or longevity!

My work-around was to buy a small flat tray that attaches to my mic stand... I think it was $12 on Amazon? - has a "rubberized" bottom to the tray and the T1 seems to want to stay where I put it. I had short cables made up for both my guitars and my vocal mic, so there isn't a bunch of excess hanging off the tray/mic stand, so the only cord is from the T1 to the L1 Model II "base".

I could "dress" the cables neater if I wanted, but it's about the cleanest set-up I've ever used - just the one cable to the Bose base for sending signal and receiving AC power.

That puts the T1 right in front of me, within easy reach while I'm performing. Have to watch the balance points on my boom mic stand, but the whole contraption is actually very stable when in use. There's room on that tray for picks, a Snark tuner and capo - thought of setting my cell phone there but wondered about the possibility of digital interference, so I keep the two devices at least 3' apart.

Hope that helps... I realize that, if you're using the T1 with the Compact, you also have the AC adapter cord to deal with... still doesn't seem like too many cables using the shortened ones.
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 11-16-2017, 01:39 PM

I think that with the cabling the xr series Behringer mixers have the advantage.
Being a small box you can put on the floor with all the cables and the "mixer" on a tablet can be put anywhere close by.
Old 11-16-2017, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post

A couple things... first, I don't know of a way to do what you're asking with the "scene selection", except for YOU memorizing the order they are in that patch... and then selecting the scene by "feel". I have a scene set for my normal rig (6 string, 12 string and vocal mic) with all the eq and such for my regular gig; I just select that scene from the start and don't change it throughout the show. I don't understand why you'd want to be switching scenes in the middle of a set?
Because the scene settings for EQ/Comp/Efects would be different for when I'm rocking away or being pretty as in fingerpicking. The first I'd have to make sure I'm not overpowering and the second I'd have to make sure I was powerful enough. Or let's say I wanted to sing a rockabilly song with some slapback delay. And so on. I'm not talking about 20 of them, just maybe 5 or six at the most. Flexibility would be my main purpose in getting a T1. I like a lot of different moods, so "set it and forget it" doesn't work for me.

Do you remember the name of the tray that's working for you? I certainly value tone over appearance, but what I saw in those pictures was a real rat's nest and that's a no go.
Old 11-16-2017, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny.guitar View Post
I think that with the cabling the xr series Behringer mixers have the advantage.
Being a small box you can put on the floor with all the cables and the "mixer" on a tablet can be put anywhere close by.
Definitely. Did you compare your Behringer with the Mackie 806?
Old 11-16-2017, 04:47 PM

I received my Bose T1 last night. Purchased from a great eBay seller...
Got it to me in 2 days! It came in excellent condition (as advertised) so I am pleased!

I only had a short time today to practice with it.
Guitar only no vocals yet..

Other's have already sung it's praises .. I will sing them too.
It's really a fantastic piece of gear.
Producing some very inspiring sound!

With that said and to relate to Troggg's question about Live use... Switching scenes or effects.. Obviously, it doesn't have foot control or easy 1 touch -preset buttons. So to me, it's more of a "set and forget" system. Although one can easily switch scenes between songs or sets. No problem.

For me... depending on the gig. I'm not ditching my Play Acoustic just yet. The PA and Switch-6 foot controller. Allows for flexibility and control effects, harmony, boost and looper control.

But I am still learning the Bose and look forward to using it this weekend!
Old 11-16-2017, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny.guitar View Post
**this is the best way to go.
Use a mono output to the Bose as it is a mono speaker. The reverb & delay sounds very good through it. Don't think you'll gain anything by trying to go stereo into a mono unit.
By comparison most Live PA's run in mono.
Thanks. I am wondering why the L1C has a stereo input?
Old 11-16-2017, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty C View Post
Thanks. I am wondering why the L1C has a stereo input?

It would sum it to mono. I think the input would be most used for playback music. Say from an iPod or something
Old 11-27-2017, 11:12 PM

I have read this thread with great interest because I have bought two (yes, 2) Bose L1 Model 2s in the last six months: one for my daughter who plays around Dallas/Fort Worth and one for my son who currently is living in Hawaii for two more years so I am taking care of it (read: using it a LOT, LOL) here in Texas until he returns to the states. And, when he returns, I'll buy another one for me. Seriously.

Before I begin talking about the system and my thoughts about it, a little about my background which will explain a bit more about my observations about Bose systems and the company's customer service, which is absolutely UNPARALLELED -- this company takes customer service to an insanely high level.

I am a marketing/business professor at Baylor University in Waco, Texas. So, I think about purchases a lot and personal purchases even more. Specifically, I teach a course called "Consumer Behavior" and, when I was considering the first L1 Model 2 this past spring, I thought "This would be a great product purchase to use as a project for my classes to analyze and discuss." So we did -- a lot.

My observations, in no particular order:

1) Before you go further, watch this 60 second video (not a Bose company video). This video will answer many of your questions about the Bose system. It will also probably dispel some of the negatives about Bose said in some of the comments:

https://youtu.be/vtfOhx-6sBQ

And here is my daughter playing "California Dreamin' " on her Bose system in an outdoor venue on a main road in downtown Waco a month or so ago. At the end of her gig that day, the manager of the restaurant ACROSS the road told me that she loved the set so much, she had "turned their in-house system down so the patrons could listen to Elizabeth" and then invited her to play there that night and on a subsequent night:

https://youtu.be/MI5M2GzXObc

1) My recommendation, if $1500 is not too high a ceiling, is to buy the L1 Model 2 (with the T1 mixer) and "be done with it." I believe that, for 95% of applications, you will never need another PA until you need the "house PA" for certain venues. If that is beyond your budget, the other units are fantastic, too and, like another poster said on another thread, Bose is GREAT about working with its customers -- whether they bought "new" or not. Again, ALL of the Bose systems are great. My reason for suggestin the L1 Model 2 is mainly this: if a new Compact is $850, the incremental benefit/incremental cost ratio of a USED L1 Model 2 is hard to top AND you are finished buying a "solo artist PA" regardless of venue size (for solo units) -- see below.

2) The T1 ToneMatch is a must in my opinion. It is too good & too useful & is packed with too many things not to have it.

3) These systems can be had for $1500 or less WITH a) the amplifier and tower, b) the B1 bass speaker and c) the ToneMatch mixer. There was one for sale on the Austin, Texas Craigslist last week for $1200 with ALL of the above.

4) I keep my son's (ha ha) L1 in my great room, along with a mike and stand and my guitars. It takes us all of 30 seconds to flip the switch on, plug in the guitar, and transform to a club setting and start playing. The Bose system makes you WANT to play all of the time. I never play unamplified now and, a couple of months before he returns to the continental US, I'll start looking for its replacement. It is that much fun. As a nice additional benefit, you have a great PA for parties that is relatively unobstrusive.

5) Do not be afraid of buying Bose equipment used. The repair and replacement costs will blow your mind -- completely atypical compared to "replacement parts norms." Their service is exemplary. Don't believe me? Call their technical support line, tell the person that answers that you are considering one of their units, and they will cheerfully answer any questions that you have. I've NEVER seen customer service like this company's service and I have been teaching marketing for 28 years.

6) Related, and this is HUGE for anyone considering purchase but especially "gigging musicians that are trying to make a living from it:" Bose repair and/or replacement prices will simply blow your mind. They are specifically designed to encourage brand loyalty -- and they will.

7) The first system that I bought, in addition to having the Bose zippered carrying cases, also had the aftermarket "flight cases." Recommendation: do not buy them. You'll never use them unless you move by moving vans a lot. Really. They are just too cumbersome to use on a gig-to-gig basis.

8) When we first started using them, we were using some Shure SM58s from college days. Subsequently, I researched mikes a little one day and people were saying that the SM58s were "muddy sounding" and I didn't know what they meant. Regardless, I decided to buy Sennheiser e935s after those reviews. Wow. I mean, WOW! The things that you can do with this mike compared to an SM58 can best be desribed as going from a Yugo to the most agile Ferrari made. I am decidedly NOT an expert on mikes and if there is something out there better than a Sennheiser at the below $250 price point, I'd love to know about them.

9) The ONE complaint that I have with the Bose system (and this was mentioned in another post, too) is the CRAPPY mike bracket that Bose makes for the T1 mixer. Yes, I have talked to Bose about it. Their tech support knows that it can be improved. Personally, I would not risk using it for my T1 because it WILL break. I have bought the parts to make "the bracket that Bose SHOULD have made" that will NEVER fail and I will be happy to send a picture of it, but it does require you to buy the Bose bracket to use a couple of its parts.

10) For those concerned with the "disorganized look" of the T1 on a mike stand, I would recommend (and it is super easy) to simply put it on a stand beside you. It also hangs on the main speaker unit with another bracket if desired. Really, once you have it "dialed in," you probably won't be adjusting it much anyway.

11) To those who feel limited by its number of inputs, I *believe* that you have access to five inputs: four on the T1 and one on the amp/base itself. As far as potential "sound degradation" with multiple inputs, I don't see that happening at all.

12) Someone was concerned about buying one of the systems used and not having a warranty. I personally checked with Bose back in the spring: the warranty IS transferable as long as there is time on it. Related, Guitar Center actually has a two-year warranty that is, presumably (meaning do they honor it), better than Bose's warranty: it even includes spilled drinks.

13) Speaking of Guitar Center, I checked their prices the other day (while the Bose 15% sale is on for new systems) and it seems like they have correspondingly dropped the price of their used systems.

14) To those wondering why the T1 is not a plug-n-play for the Bose Compact? I think that is simply a marketing decision. "Want a T1? Then move up to our more expensive systems." That's my guess.

15) Someone suggested that their current sale might be a precursor to new systems coming out. This certainly makes sense, but I do believe that the sale twice a year is something that they normally do. However, I do agree with the poster that something new has to be in the works. The Compact wireless is a leading indicator of that . . .

16) The absolute simplicity of this system (except for the T1, which DOES have a learning curve but you're rewarded for it) is incredible. I LOVE well-designed products and Bose has knocked this recent product category out of the park. The folding feet alone for the amp are a sight to see: One cannot insert the first tower into the amp until the legs are FULLY extended (because there is a protruding bar if they are not fully opened). And, once they are fully opened, the tower then prevents them from closing, even if they were kicked accidentally. The paucity of wires is also great: plug ins for the bass speaker, the T1, the power chord, and that's it. The towers have no wires -- Set them one on top of the other and they are hooked up. On the T1, plug in the Ethernet cable, your mike(s) and instrument(s) and you are done, finished. Even my daughter can do it.

17) Someone mentioned that obstacles affect the sound. I respectfully disagree. The day we gave it to my daughter, after she had played it inside for a while, we set it up on the carport to sort of mimic an outdoor venue (I live on acreage). Me and her father-in-law walked through the backyard that has quite a few mature oaks and noticed no difference whatsoever in sound. Then, he walked up the hill to the horse stables (about 150 yards away) and listened on the way up and back and was blown away by both the volume and the clarity. Re-watch the first video to see the same thing.

18) It is great to be hearing the same thing that your audience is hearing *and* without a monitor. Very confidence-inspiring.

19) I know that I probably sound like a shill for Bose but I promise that I have no connections to the company. But I do love well-designed products and, in 2017, I REALLY love exemplary customer service!

20) The main reason I bought this system has both nothing and everything to do with what it can do: I bought it to give my daughter confidence -- confidence that she was playing on the best system that we could buy.

Finally, I don't know if any list members live in the Central Texas areaa but, if so, you are most welcome to come over and try the system out. Like I said, it is always ready to go. The only time that it won't be available is when my son comes home for Christmas and I've already told him that I am certain that he will be on it night and day! (He hasn't seen it yet, nor has he ever played on one.)
Old 11-27-2017, 11:27 PM
Charter Member

Reasley, That was an AMAZING Post! Very informative and helpful. Hearing the Bose clarity across the lake was shocking. I have an L1 Compact and I am still amazed at its even handed dispersion and overall tone quality. (I do not use a T1)

My acoustic guitar (Martin OMC-18E w/ Fishman Aura VT enhance Pickup) sounds great straight in. Although I use a pedalboard preamp with tone shaping controls for various guitars. But mostly it is set Flat.

Vocal mic is a Sennheiser E935 and yeah ..its SUPERB!

You DON'T need the T1 with the L1 Compact. And we have used a variety of mixers with the Bose; Behringer Xair, Mackie DL1608, Etc. All sound great. I'm sure the T1 is cool. But its not the only option. It may however be optimized. But we can get Great results without ever trying the T1.

I fancy the idea of the L1 Series 2 with bass module however. That is a wonderful system. I just prefer the ease of set up/tear down with the L1 Compact. (and for now, its mostly all I need)

My Duo partner and band mate and I both have L1 Compacts. We often use the pair of them for the band. We don't use kick drum however. I think that would overwhelm the L1 Compact Subs. But for vocals, acoustic guitar, drum overhead, even mic'ing an electric guitar amp, the pair of L1 Compacts have proven to be quite worthy.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification