The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 10-31-2017, 06:08 PM

Default melody me more...

O.K.

Part of what prompted me to make the post about 'melody or rhythm' was the tune (below) I wrote that has haunted me for a couple of years.

If you listen, it is obviously melody driven. I have been at a lack to do 'more' with it, but it may not need more. The first minute is (virtually) pure melody. Then in minute 2, I expand the theme. This is currently ABAB form and normally I would draw it out with variations because it screams for more.

What are your thoughts on this tune? It is simple and what I might consider one of my best melodies...but not my best 'songs'. Or maybe it is and just needs a little...??? It begs for lyrics and I could write them, but I don't sing. Ha! I just play.

Recorded this evening: Taylor NS72CE direct to digital recorder -- no modifications.

Thoughts on this one?

Best to all and be well, the alternative sucketh mightely!
D
Old 10-31-2017, 07:59 PM
Charter Member

That is a way of song development, beginning with a melody idea and then picking the chords out to harmonize.
You can let harmonies feed back into new melody ideas and development. In your example play around with the
other chords in the key of G major. As it exists it is melancholy sounding due to the use of G- Em (I-vi-I-vi). To
experiment, after a couple or repeats of G-Em try some other chord sequence - if you want to leave the melancholy
behind for a while perhaps something like C-D-G-Em-C-D-G. Keep at it.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 11-01-2017, 08:12 AM

Thanks Derek:

Yes, I have tried various chord combinations. I might be on the verge of something though. When I wake up at 2:00a humming a song I am working on, it usually means I am close...to something. That happened last night...we'll see.

You can hear the chords I have it set to starting at the one minute mark (second time through, the first time was just to set up the melody for anyone listening).

The A Part:
G, Am, Cmaj7
G, Am, Bm7
G, Am, Cmaj7
Em, Cmaj9, D/C (or Bm7/C?), G

The B part:
Bm7, Cmaj7 (V), Gmaj7 (or call it Bm/D?)
Cmaj7, D, Em (with an A in it)
C, add 6, add 9, G

Everything I write I write on and for guitar, but I think this one has finished differently. It seems to me that some of the long notes would be better served by flute or recorder or such as that (or maybe tuba LOL). I think it would make a great duo song...

About half the songs I write are melodies that I find chords for, the other half chords that develop their own melody ideas as you suggest. This one too will come around, I just may never be satisfied with it.

Thanks, regards
D

Last edited by David Rock; 11-01-2017 at 05:49 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write