The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 10-01-2014, 10:53 AM

Default Nylon hybrid : comfort vs quality sound ?

Hallo everybody,
I’m going to choice a new guitar between Yamaha NTX 700 e Cordoba Fusion 14 RS.
I like both very much, after all comparisons I’ll be oriented for Yamaha specifically for this point: I feel it fits better to me phisically for the slim width of the body (8/9 cm. for NTX vs. 10 cm for Cordoba).
Now, I know that I’m going to use the new guitar pretty unplugged, and it’s common opinion that when unplugged the NTX sounds weak, if compared to Cordoba. I tried both the guitars and I agree, Cordoba's unplugged sound is slighty fuller and more present than the Yamaha's.

Any advice or suggestion about those issues? Which aspect should you favour in the choice of guitar, quality of sound or comfort - playability ?

Thank you in advance for your answers and … sorry for my English!

Last edited by ame; 10-01-2014 at 12:23 PM.
Old 10-01-2014, 03:47 PM
Charter Member

Hi Ame,

Welcome to the AGF! Glad you are here!

And, your English is excellent!

Regarding your question, the answer will vary from one person to another. For me, I adapt to guitars of different sizes and dimensions and so I would go for the Cordoba. But for others, the playing comfort might be overwhelmingly important.

Best of luck to you!
- Glenn
Old 10-01-2014, 07:05 PM
Charter Member

I've demoed versions from both. Like you, I prefer the tone of the Cordoba. They do also make a slim profile as well

I find the string space between the fretboard edge and E strngs on the Yamaha uncomfortable
Old 10-01-2014, 07:16 PM

I played them, few that they are. I bought the Yamaha because it handles much better. I agree with you about the sound, by contrast to the Cordoba, but that's not a concern for me. I play the Yamaha plugged. I have a classical guitar for better unplugged sound. I did put a new nut on the Yamaha notched for wider string spacing and it's a very good player for me now. I bought the NTX1200R. It's a guitar I can jam with all night long (plugged) and not tax my hands or wear down my fingernails.
Old 10-01-2014, 07:25 PM

Welcome aboard!. I too was looking for a very long time for a nylon string guitar. I did not care for the wide/flat fingerboard of a traditional classical guitar but I did want the sound and feel of one. I tried every one in my price range and was down between the Yamaha NTX700 and the Cordoba Fusion 12 in maple body. Both fit me very well and had excellent fretboards. The intonation was very good on both, something that was lacking in most every other brand until I got way out of my price range. But I dont play plugged in very often and in that respect the Cordoba had a better sound. Very full low end and excellent, clear highs. I did try the Cordoba 14 but the 12, in my opinion, had a better low end. I also liked the high tension strings that came on the Cordoba, great feel and tone. The Yamaha was so good that I may sell one of my other guitars that I dont use often to buy one. It is and good choice too. Very tough decision for sure.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:50 PM

welcome to the fun site of guitars...

it going to come down to what you want
I would ask a luthier what would happen
if you shave down the back side of my neck
just an idea. its worth asking. I might do it
next year.

good luck - the two guitar you are looking at look really nice.
Old 10-05-2014, 12:48 PM

Cool Nylon hybrid: Comfort vs. Quality Tone?

Based on your selection of possible choices, I would recommend you think about increasing your budget to find a guitar that offers comfort and tone. I don't know the availability of Martin guitars in Italy, but I would highly recommend you check out a used Martin 000C Nylon hybrid. It's a 12-fret cutaway with Fishman electronics and sounds fabulous with or without an amp. Solid Sitka spruce soundboard, and solid sapele b/s, Gotoh slot-head tuners and a 1-7/8" nut. If you find one, you will never need to upgrade. The sound has plenty of volume and sustain, great bass response and clear mids and trebles. You won't be disappointed, and can be found on eBay, both new and used between $1000 to $1300!

And, WELCOME to the AGF!

Glen
Gibson LP Deluxe/ES-347 TD/Chet Atkins CE
Fender MIA Deluxe Strat
Art & Lutherie 12-string
Bellucci Concert
Sigma CR-7
Recording King ROS-06 FE3/RPH-05
D'Angelico "New Yorker"
New Masters "Esperance SP"
Hermosa AH-20
“I never met a guitar I didn't like.”

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical