The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-29-2014, 06:28 PM
Charter Member

Default Surh Classic T and Speaker Cabinet

I recently found a JBL D130 from the late 60's or early 70's. I love them and this is my second one and I had a cabinet built for it. It is convertible to use as either open or closed. I think I like it closed better but time will tell. I am looking for a head to use with it and I may try to find a Vox Ac 15 kit to build as I have the Fender amps covered. Any ideas?

A couple of weeks ago I found this as new Surh Classic T. It is a 2010 and has both front and back contours. It is a great companion for my Surh Pro in Surf Green. The T is Candy Apple Red and light at 7 Lbs 4 Oz. Here are some photos. -- Darwin

Old 09-29-2014, 09:14 PM

I think Ceriatone sell some Matchless kits: Spitfire, Lightning, DC30.

I'm actually in the middle of building a combined Spitfire/Lightning but it got put to one side for a while while we were having a referendum here in Scotland. The two circuits are very similar so you can easily build both in one box with a few extra switches.

In fact, there's a lot more you can do along these lines. The power amp is almost identical to the Goldtone GA15 so you could split off the power amp into its own box and build separate preamps for the GA15 and Spitfire/Lightning.

The same set of trannies can also be used to power a dual 6V6 amp. So you could add a second power amp like the cathodyne PI design used by the Divided by 13 CJ11 and 5E3 Deluxe and now you're in 15W heaven with five highly desirable boutique/classic guitar amps.

Ask me again in a few weeks if it actually works

Just a Spitfire/Lightning on its own though could be a great little amp if you're looking for something Voxy.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:02 AM

Sweet! Is that an original pickguard?

Looks like you have a great guitar room, Darwin.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:08 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for your amp input Moon! I am not into it quite that deeply but am looking at all options and in no hurry. Let us know how your build works out.

Dru, thanks and that is not the original pickguard. I have the original matte black pickguard and in the process of deciding. I have had it on the guitar and am undecided at the moment. -- Darwin
Old 10-01-2014, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin View Post
Thanks for your amp input Moon! I am not into it quite that deeply but am looking at all options and in no hurry. Let us know how your build works out.

Dru, thanks and that is not the original pickguard. I have the original matte black pickguard and in the process of deciding. I have had it on the guitar and am undecided at the moment. -- Darwin
BEAUTIFUL guitar, but I would go with the matte black guard..............
Old 10-01-2014, 05:44 PM
Charter Member

Thanks Russ, I am leaning toward that and may do it within the next week or two. The after market pickguard doesn't fit perfectly, I am just waiting for a couple of pickup springs on order before swapping back. The previous owner had left them out. -- Darwin
Old 10-07-2014, 07:26 AM
Charter Member

Here is an updated photo with the original pickguard. -- Darwin
Old 10-07-2014, 01:31 PM

MUCH nicer with the black guard!!!
Old 10-07-2014, 03:47 PM

I have two Suhr guitars......a 2003 Standard and a 2014 Classic TS. Love them both.....A LOT!!

(note spelling of 'Suhr')

Last edited by riffmeister; 10-07-2014 at 04:05 PM.
Old 10-07-2014, 05:51 PM
Charter Member

riffmeister, I sure blew the spelling of Suhr. That is what age does for us along with hearing loss and loss of vision! The Suhr's are great guitars and I love the neck heel and body sculpture by the neck. Thanks for getting me on track again! -- Darwin

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars